Author Topic: LED Bulbs Already Failing  (Read 34489 times)

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
Re: LED Bulbs Already Failing
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 02:58:35 PM »
What does vastex say? You would think they would resolve the problem so your happy.
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 07:12:00 PM »
What does vastex say? You would think they would resolve the problem so your happy.
Well I`ve emailed them a while ago asking for the wave length of their LED bulbs. Answer was they don`t know as their supplier does not provide this information, but their guess was...
Just the right answer I needed at the time to decide that I really will not order anything of them anylonger.
I approached them then again in more detail with all the problems we have. In all fairness their screen print Techs  will look into it. Apparently they`ve sold hundreds of those units and shops getting great results. What we are experiencing is regarded  as "odd" .

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 07:42:25 PM »
Well I`ve emailed them a while ago asking for the wave length of their LED bulbs. Answer was they don`t know as their supplier does not provide this information, but their guess was...
Just the right answer I needed at the time to decide that I really will not order anything of them anylonger.
I approached them then again in more detail with all the problems we have. In all fairness their screen print Techs  will look into it. Apparently they`ve sold hundreds of those units and shops getting great results. What we are experiencing is regarded  as "odd" .

Well, even before these units were widely available through Vastex, Pierre tried out a prototype and had fairly good results if I remember correctly.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline SoccerMom

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 08:00:58 PM »
     Wouldn't comparative step tests and a light integrator tell the story of light output? I for one would be quite skeptical of a salesman who couldn't/wont give a comprehensive analysis of waveform.... However, not unlike pressure washers, and vacuum cleaners the stats would most likely be embellished a bit anyway, but still it would give a basic platform of efficiency to conduct further testing (should one be so inclined).

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 09:16:24 PM »
We tested it for two months and it worked fine for us. We also mapped the light field and it was the best we've seen so far (as far as uniformity). I also talked to the supplier and the wavelength is what I believe to be right after doing a lot of research. We are using a similar unit now and it works fine. Water based and discharge require a lengthy post exposure, but it is very usable. Yes, a 5k MH would be better, but that's a completely different animal. As mentioned before, it is my understanding that they made some modifications to the LED bars early on, so the units Rockers and Alan are having problems with might be pre changes.
Light strips are a user replaceable part and had a lengthy warranty at some point in time. Not sure what's going on now thoug, but I am surprised that Vastex is not sorting this out.

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2016, 10:04:42 PM »
Can't say much about the LEDs as I'm uaing an AmerGraph 150 for exposure, but the service and support I've got from Vastex has been nothing but superlative. I hope they address this issue, because the hardware I run from them has been excellent.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline SoccerMom

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 10:55:27 PM »
   "Superlative" Now that's just a funword 8), might have to borrow it someday.... B/Moon might have just hit upon the answer, "early production runs", Comparing the manuals  old and new most likely would have some differences in terms of production, and other G2 upgrades, and that would (to me anyway) be the place to start troubleshooting, Paying close attention to board revisions and filter cap values.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 12:00:51 AM »
Well, we order a couple of month after blue moon posted his results of testing the Vastex unit. I made sure as well with the guys at Vastex that the unit we ordered  would be the "updated" version.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 08:15:39 AM »

What? They don't know the wavelength? Is it me, or is that totally ridiculous?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 08:17:11 AM »
Quite frankly if Vastex can't tell you what wavelength of light the leds are putting out or the beam spread of said leds, they shouldn't be selling a led exposure unit.

ALL of the other manufacturers, if you ask, will share that info.

There are certain preferred ranges of uv output for optimal curing, which also matches the emulsion absorbsion curves.

Having an emulsion that doesn't match the uv output of your unit can certainly cause troubles.

Offline Screen Dan

• !!!
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 11:41:37 AM »

What? They don't know the wavelength? Is it me, or is that totally ridiculous?

Steve

Agreed.  My first thought when I read that was "Really!??  You've got to be effin' kidding me!" ...that's, kinda, absolutely key information, ya know?  The wavelength and bandwidth are the only thing I'm concerned about, up front.

I had this same issue when another LED unit manufacturer rep was courting our sale.  "I'll have to talk to the engineers." 

Yeah...yeah you will.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2016, 11:52:01 AM »
So, we have all of these specs on the other units out there?

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2016, 12:07:32 PM »
I don't think others disclose wavelengths, at least not publicly.
Dale Hoyal

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 12:48:22 PM »
I don't think others disclose wavelengths, at least not publicly.

Exactly. And when we encountered this some time back, it was noted that it made the emulsion manufacturers' job a little tougher as well.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2016, 02:34:14 PM »
Vastex buys the strips from Lou and while they might or might not know the actual wavelength, as mentioned here, I don't see them disclosing it. I promise you that Lou knows what he is doing, we have talked at length about the power output, calibrating the current draws, controlling the heat and many other aspects the I know for a fact some other manufacturers missed. Obviously, there could be something going on long term with the manufacturer and the units could be developing issues. . .

My point here is, don't knock it until you know the facts.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!