Author Topic: Who here has switched from ALL rollers to All Statics?  (Read 7955 times)

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
Re: Who here has switched from ALL rollers to All Statics?
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2016, 01:19:39 PM »
I stretched a million of them and can do it well, just prefer not to. 8)

That's about where I am. Just more all around that has to go into them from building them, maintaining them, the tape and potential for gunk under protection tape and the frames, honestly take longer to make sure are perfectly clean. Think I'm done with them. Rollers, good solid statics with S mesh, we still get a ton of work done so if you go into managing time, and the rollers have the extra babying factor, we would actually be ahead without them. I could see if we didn't have a good source for restretches and new statics, but Spot Color Supply has really put a solid stamp on what they do over there. To each their own.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline prozyan

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2016, 06:51:24 PM »
I went all static about 2 years ago.  Never regretted it.  You just have to make sure you get quality static frames.  There is a lot of junk out there.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline BRGtshirts

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2016, 09:32:51 PM »
Funny to see this. We're just now transitioning the other way. I've had such trouble keeping statics with any good tension. I've gotten so fed up that we've been buying used newmans and slowly converting over. I see us running a mix between rollers, shurlocs, and statics, but my current mindset is that if I can phase out statics I'm interested in doing so. we'll see....

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2016, 10:01:50 PM »
Funny to see this. We're just now transitioning the other way. I've had such trouble keeping statics with any good tension. I've gotten so fed up that we've been buying used newmans and slowly converting over. I see us running a mix between rollers, shurlocs, and statics, but my current mindset is that if I can phase out statics I'm interested in doing so. we'll see....

in the next month i'm gonna be offloading around 100-200 23x31 older m3s...if you're interested!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline BRGtshirts

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2016, 10:17:05 PM »

in the next month i'm gonna be offloading around 100-200 23x31 older m3s...if you're interested!

No kidding. What's the reason? same one? going to statics?

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2016, 10:39:51 PM »
So what are you guys seeing from statics tension wise?

What do they come in the shop at, what do the settle at?

Maybe I was getting sh*t screens before... Im surprised so many people use the statics.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2016, 11:35:27 PM »
So what are you guys seeing from statics tension wise?

What do they come in the shop at, what do the settle at?

Maybe I was getting sh*t screens before... Im surprised so many people use the statics.
150-S comes in at 28N and after 1000 impressions is at 26N
Same for our 225-S they loose around 2N after 1000 prints.

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2016, 11:39:17 PM »
Are they straight from Mirukami?

Who makes em?

Cost?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2016, 12:22:41 AM »
http://www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com/ for screens stretched by Murikami
Or
Spotcolorsupply.com for Re stretches with Murikami mesh or complete statics stretched by them in house.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2016, 05:18:03 AM »
Are they straight from Mirukami?

Who makes em?

Cost?
The frames are old frames we ordered in Thailand years ago, but the stretching was all done by Murakami. Cost around $25-$35 depending on the mesh count.Please keep in mind we are located in Japan but I`m sure Murakami in the States will do an equally good job.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2016, 12:47:54 PM »

This is the reason we started buying newmans. We went through 4 different local suppliers and all of them ended up like trampolines within a couple of months, so I lots faith in statics till we tried some re-meshing through Spot Color Supply using the Murikami S mesh. They are awesome. Even SPC's standard saati mesh, 305's and 280's keep nice and tight and hold up really good. They have a great technique for sure.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2016, 01:08:05 PM »
The mesh we use makes a huge difference in retaining tension.  Many other brands use mesh that simply continues to lose tension, some quicker than others.  Smartmesh from Murakami simply holds onto tension longer.  I go into so many shops where the Newmans never get retensioned.  That's a great feature, but Smartmesh has made some great improvements in retained tensions.  My show screens are 4 years old and still hold 22n on the 225s and we stretched them to 26n to begin with.  Then there are CTS systems.  Our statics stay flat and fit much easier into a CTS system.  Then there is sweet spot. On our frames stretched here the mesh orientation is square to the frame, all threads as straight as possible. With a Newman as you get to the corners the openings don't stay square and may cause moire approaching the corners.  Then there is S Mesh on Newmans.  On Newmans I recommend Shurloc panels since the mesh rests on the plastic capture strip.  But Statics don't have sharp channels, or the ends of the rollers which can have a sharp corner that can wear on the mesh or pop it. Any of our dealers can order Frames from us and some have in house re-stretching in place. 

Al
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline Squeeky

• Verified/Junior
  • Ask and you shall receive
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2016, 10:02:21 AM »
Hey Guys

I am new to S type mesh and am an old roller frame guy (don't mind giving them TLC/ no employees) that still loves statics for some things.

For those stretching S-type, what is the most tension you can get? When my meter gets to about 18, they will pop.

Thanks

Jack
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...
you're right."

Henry Ford

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2016, 10:32:36 AM »
I can get it to 20N before tightening bolt, after 24~26N.

Don't push your mesh, but pinch it when you do your corner softening. The frame can scratch your mesh. I use to tear my 305/30 (thinner than S-mesh) just by pushing the mesh down. Those mesh were like tissue thin.

Also you can increase your corner softening alot then reduce it gradually to find your sweet spot.

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2016, 11:37:14 AM »
For Newmans I recommend trying the Shurloc Panes with Murakami S Mesh.  The mesh rests on a plastic strip.  Any dents or nicks in the channel of a retentionable can prevent getting up to the mid 20's.  Murakami Smartmesh retains tension well.  If you want to stretch them yourself on retensionable screens here are a few tricks:
The ends of the rollers can have a sharp corner on some frame types.  File and sand round and smooth, or soften the corner enough that this corner can't cut the mesh.  Secondly I have found it helpful to wrap 1/2" masking tape around the inside edge to thicken this edge as well as provide some shock absorption in handling. 
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com