Author Topic: UPS / IMS Thermal Label Printer?  (Read 3137 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
UPS / IMS Thermal Label Printer?
« on: October 21, 2011, 06:13:53 PM »
I recall someone mentioned using their UPS thermal printer for printing out IMS labels for ink containers.  What model is compatible this way?

I'm seeing this one from Zebra:
http://www.ups.zebra.com/ctp/prod_zp450e_overview.aspx]
[url]http://www.ups.zebra.com/ctp/prod_zp450e_overview.aspx
[/url]

and then a cheaper one without the "e" at the end of the model name.  The rest look like overkill. 

I'd like to hook one of these up to a netbook or a pc laptop to run IMS, print ink labels and then plug the netbook into a shipping scale for outbound UPS. 

Offline squeegee

Re: UPS / IMS Thermal Label Printer?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 06:21:18 PM »
that might have been me, Zebra Eltron 2844 CTP, 4 x 6 labels, works out well for us.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 06:24:22 PM by squeegee »

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 07:01:05 PM »
Awesome, I'll check one out.  Thx Squeegee!

Follow up:  what do you use for your shipping scale and what windows os on the computer?

Oh, and I picked up a usb to serial rs-232 but I imagine a computer with an actual serial port would work better. 

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 07:12:04 PM »
I am too. I'll  let you know tomorrow what I have.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline squeegee

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 07:45:09 PM »
Awesome, I'll check one out.  Thx Squeegee!

Follow up:  what do you use for your shipping scale and what windows os on the computer?

Oh, and I picked up a usb to serial rs-232 but I imagine a computer with an actual serial port would work better.

No problem, glad to help! 

I use XP, connection for the printer is USB.  I'm thinking about a second printer and saw some reconditioned (same model) for under a C-note.  For a scale, just a Uline special, manually entering the shipping weights, makes me wonder about an integrated scale and whether that would be a time saver.  At least as integrated there can be no error from data entry or personnel.  Just this week had a claim for a missing 35 XXL from an order, customer claims they didn't get them yet they received the correct # if boxes and the weight of the shirts was spot on per the shipment weight (still not sure what happened), let me know what you find for a scale.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 09:33:49 PM »
Integrated scales look to be a little spendier, this is fairly affordable but I think we'd need to be shipping more to justify it over a 'regular' one where we just punch in the weight and measurements.
http://ups-shipping-scales.balances.com/mettler/ps60-parcel-scale.html]
[url]http://ups-shipping-scales.balances.com/mettler/ps60-parcel-scale.html
[/url]

I'm thinking I'll go for something basic and do the manual entry. 

Let me know what you got for that printer bimridder.  That Zebra looks to be replaced with the 450 CTP.  Not a bad deal at $180 off the Zebra/UPS site.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 08:45:48 AM »
before buying new, check ebay for used or compatible. They are usually a fraction of cost. We bought our Zebra for $29 couple of years back.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 05:13:25 PM »
I could be mistaken but if I remember correctly UPS gave us a ZP450 to print out shipping labels. We have had it for about two years now and cant seem to find where I actually was charged for it. Maybe it was a mistake but pretty sure they said it was part of the service they provide free of charge along with the rolls of labels. They also included a enormous roll of labels to go with it which is just now running out. I also use it for ink and box labels.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 05:46:37 PM »
Thanks Bink.  I'll call them on Monday.  I tried calling Zebra but they just give you a message that their call volume is too high and hang up on you everytime. 

Offline squeegee

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 07:09:29 PM »
Zoo, UPS actually comp'd us our printer as well.  I don't know about your area but out here UPS has outsourced their sales reps to a certain degree (to third party resellers), just recently I've been able to get a lot more things from them than previously possible from UPS (better discounts, later pick up times, invoices that you can actually read, omission of certain BS charges), you might ask and see if there are any UPS resellers in your area as well.