Author Topic: Ink Cost for i-Image STE  (Read 10175 times)

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Ink Cost for i-Image STE
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2016, 09:48:09 PM »
 the new on-press pallet has some LEDs that when all three corners create contact,.the led comes on. its now a visual cue that the frame is in the right place.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2016, 10:47:17 PM »
I like that, is that on the new tri loc system?

Thanks,
Shane

Offline BorisB

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2016, 01:17:05 AM »

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2016, 08:20:53 AM »
new trilock pallet basically senses conductivity between the 3 stops.  The 'base' of the pallet is some kind of plastic.  My gut says that there's a battery that makes the 'far' stop block negative, the 2 corner blocks have LED's in them.  if both leds are off either you're not making contact with anything, or not making contact with the back block.  Near/corner blocks indicate which block you're not making contact with.  Quite easy system actually.

you wouldn't be able to retrofit the old platen with this design.. you just have to replace it.

not sure how they're doing it on the STE and S units as I didn't get a good enough look where the screen mounts.

I'm thinking of rigging the same LED/conductive concept.. should be able to do it by using some very thin plastic to make there not be any conductive surfaces that the screens touch.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2016, 09:25:45 AM »
Looking at this makes me realize that the MHM pin system is great.      Much more logical that the tri loc pallet.     
Is there anybody who has used both and would like to comment?
One other thing, about exposure wh using a CTS.   If you look at Greg Kitson video
http://youtu.be/XZP7kjjTcjU
You'll see that you can just hang the screen on the wall and expose it using whatever light source you want.      You don't need a table with glass and a vacuum, I'm sure M&R or somebody else will come up with a exposure system that is upright without a vacuum and glass soon, you can just slide the screens in.
Less room and a lot cheaper.     Glass just collects dust that make pinholes.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2016, 09:28:34 AM »
I'm sure M&R or somebody else will come up with a exposure system that is upright without a vacuum and glass soon, you can just slide the screens in.

M&R already has it... called the Starlight Gemini

http://www.mrprint.com/equipment/starlight-gemini-uv-led-screen-exposure-system

added bonus is that for post exposure, it hits the screen with light from both sides at the same time.

also, removing the glass makes the exposure times faster.  (around 30-40%)

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2016, 10:10:14 AM »
Looking at this makes me realize that the MHM pin system is great.      Much more logical that the tri loc pallet.     
One other thing, about exposure wh using a CTS.   If you look at Greg Kitson video
http://youtu.be/XZP7kjjTcjU
You'll see that you can just hang the screen on the wall and expose it using whatever light source you want.      You don't need a table with glass and a vacuum, I'm sure M&R or somebody else will come up with a exposure system that is upright without a vacuum and glass soon, you can just slide the screens in.
you really can't compare unless you have tried both. Both work  but differently. Probably biased but I believe the Tri Loc is butter
Rich Hoffman

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2016, 11:48:28 AM »

that would be me..

I've used both systems extensively and MHM is now on the backside of the registration technology wave that passed them by years ago.
It's a great machine, has great features and that sound when you drop a head down is music to my ears. They will load up a belt like all the others and produce amazing crisp prints. It's the registration system that no longer meets the demands for TODAY'S printing. We have to face the reality that automation is coming and i have a strong feeling that in my 80's.. i'll be running a robotic floor. if you're not thinking about tomorrow, you're  late for today.

The way that the machine holds the screens creates TWO separate registration points. The CTS or FPU is the first.  the press is the second.
The CTS/FPU holds the screen by the pins in its X position. The press then holds the screen in its X position that may or may not be in the same location as the CTS/FPU X location. This was fine when all you needed to have your image generally in the same place on the screen and you actually had 5 to 8 minutes to setup a screen. I need more today and I'm still getting into the machine to twist knobs to line a screen up to a location ON the pallet.

I've used CTS systems with both machines and i've modified the MHM pins in them to create a better pre-reg to get those points to line up as humanly possible as I could. It didn't matter how accurate that was, because as soon as you move that big knurled silver reg knob on press.. the next screen DOES NOT register in the same place. You again have to move the head to a location ON the pallet. So in-between the heads you go twisting knobs that are in the absolute worst place for wrist movement. If you have the electronic 'home' feature you're better off but it was so expensive that only a small % of shops actually got it and even then it has its issues. If they fix it today.. will it be able to fit all the past machines for less than the cost of a single tri loc pallet..

With Tri Loc the registration device IS THE PALLET that you place onto the press. The Iimage CTS is just an extension of the Tri-loc. No jigs, no buttons, no pins to put on your frames as the tri-loc pallet holds the screen in the same place every time against a 3 point contact system that has been and is still used by the paper and flat stock printers. When the point of contact is not the heads, the position of head registration location does not matter as the next screen will locate TO the pallet verses a location ON the pallet. Once the screen is located, you then lock the head onto to screen and make registration adjustments from behind the head with very easy to turn X Y Z knobs that do nor require you to get inside a machine. 

another option with Tri-loc.. it's backwards compatible all the way back to 80's challengers, if you got a set of bitchen tools and the desire to get metal hot and actually own one.. but the point being tri loc will fit on every machine they have made in the last 20 years with a pallet and removal of material from the screen holder frame if needed. nothing has to be added to get the benefit of screen in, lock it, print it and oh look.. it's in perfect registration.

Tri-Loc is king of the mtn right now and you better bring your A game if you want to compete.. the patent lives on for 20 more years.

need more coffee..

got it and made some edits

« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 01:11:05 PM by jsheridan »
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2016, 04:20:56 AM »
John thanks for your reply, I'm not going to argue with a guru.      You are right, with the MHM you have to keep to heads zeroed, if you don't the next set up will the out of register.
With the CTS the tri lock is great, I think the MHM system of positioning the film on the cener line is better than taping it onto a film.
By the way I built my own registration system for the MHM and put three sets of pins instead of one like they had.      I have one set 4" from the center line on both sides so I can set up pocket sized prints on left and right.       I mentioned it to MHM and they are now also putting 3 sets of pins on the new registration units.
I have never used the M&R system, I've just seen it on YouTube.   
I'm hoping to come to Long Beach, I'll have a better look.       Hopefully you will be there and you can explain what you did to improve the MHM registraion.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il