Author Topic: Sand paper ink feel wanted  (Read 2623 times)

Offline jgray@promocentric.net

Sand paper ink feel wanted
« on: October 19, 2016, 04:35:02 PM »
I have a client that wants a sand-paper like feel to the ink, literally.  Like grip tape on a skateboard.

Any ideas/suggestions?

jgray@promocentric.net

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Sand paper ink feel wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 04:43:14 PM »
might be a heat transfer vinyl that fits the bill.  You may be able to use some kind of grit in a glitter base.  I haven't heard of an ink like that though honestly.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 04:51:03 PM »
 You might be able to use a 40 or 60 mesh mix in actual sand at fine to medium grit with some HD inks.

He would need a really thick stencil. Coated maybe 6 to 8 times.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 04:52:47 PM »
I was going to somewhat facetiously suggest finding some white ink from Union circa 1990.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 04:59:13 PM »
You might be able to use a 40 or 60 mesh mix in actual sand at fine to medium grit with some HD inks.

Be very very careful while printing - the sand will grind away at your emulsion/mesh/and blade!!!!

You can also sprinkle sand over the wet ink area - kinda like doing sugar glitter - and lightly press it into the ink.....
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 05:00:06 PM »
You can also print a gel clear like Wilflex HD Clear - through a thick stencil.  Then scatter sand across the wet film and then cure.  Sawdust, lots of things can be done this way/  Think caviar beads if you were around during that trend.

As always, test and wast test.

LOL - I posted this at the same time as Colin.  Great minds an all!  :)
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline AAMike

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »
i would print a clear gel on top (unflashed) of the print and go with sugar glitter as well.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 05:14:39 PM »
get a screen with tension under 10 preferably an 86 mesh, print on contact with the thickest oldest ink you can find, make sure the screen doesn't clear, use no spray tack and there ya go. I have printed those when I first tried printing years ago.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 05:48:34 PM »
Thumbs up Rob!
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 05:54:46 PM »
I'm sure the screen/emulsion wont last 500 prints but should be ok at 24-48 of them. The simplest way is as they stated, to sprinkle over top, but I never felt those "stayed" on the shirt for long. Glitter especially.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 06:19:13 PM »
If the "flake" is pressed into the right adhesive ink.  The print longevity is really good.

There are a lot of printers who figured how to have the flake applied during the print run (dropping through a 36 mesh) - that application process will have wash issues.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 11:23:00 PM »

Be very very careful while printing - the sand will grind away at your emulsion/mesh/and blade!!!!

You can also sprinkle sand over the wet ink area - kinda like doing sugar glitter - and lightly press it into the ink.....

Time to bust out those nylon screens you thought were worthless.  ;)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 12:25:35 AM »
Not something I would probably print, but after reading all the comments, several suggested sprinkling sand on the wet ink but then expressed concerns about it falling off and not getting into the ink enough. 

What about using a second coated no-image screen to flattening the sand down into the ink like some use to flatten down shirt fibers.  That would eliminate the worry about early failure of the screen image and chewing up the squeegee.

Also, how about using an old kitchen type flour sifter to control even shaking of the sand?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 12:40:00 AM »
Gotta say, this is why I love screen printing. Always thinking.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 10:09:05 AM »
chill the ink, zero off contact , add some extra tac to the pallet, pop the screen re-phrase lift the screen quickly that should make one hell of a mess.

your other opportunity is to lay down your print initially, then take a coated screen exposed blank, no image and drop it down on the wet ink to get a good coating of the image on the bottom side of the blank screen.
Flash heat a pallet get it pretty darn warm then drop the blank screen with the ink transfer on the bottom on the hot pallet to kind of cure the ink on the bottom side of the screen Teflon sheet or parchment paper between the hot pallet & screen bottom let the ink cure while the screen sucks up the heat.
 You now have a reverse image on your "stamping screen" print your print drop your "stamping screen"on it with run a squeegee down the "stamping screen" to introduce it to the print ink ( spray the squeegee side of the "stamping screen"with silicone spray to allow the squeegee to slide ) and stamp your fresh print against the "stamping screen" and lift it with a pop...ink likes to stick to itself so it should make a MESS of everything.

Or you could just go to home depot and get some stair tread tape the rough 3M type with adhesive back or a large sheet of that mean sandpaper used on the large floor sanders attach it to the bottom side of your stamping screen and stamp in the pattern.

This is the kind of crap that created the greatness in this business be bold innovate roll the dice and take some advice from Bluto
come on where is the spirit where is the guts this could be the greatest print of your life................. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vtWB4owdE
mooseman :o

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 10:13:17 AM by mooseman »
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.