Author Topic: Will Corel x5 open AI CS5?  (Read 6804 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Will Corel x5 open AI CS5?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 11:40:17 AM »
As a non-Corel user (Mac), why wouldn't someone with Illy not finish in Illy, as opposed to importing into CD? Not trying to start a CD vs. Illy war, just curious. We're all Illy, all the time, never receive CD files from anybody (well, once a year, maybe) so if we do get one, I'll have one of of my compatriots here convert to .eps for me, and away we go. Now to be fair, I've been using Illy for the last 20 years, so I always know how to get what I need out of it; I get the feeling some of us get Illy to be able to open the file to convert to something CD with deal with. Is it a matter of being so comfy with CD that it's just easier than learning another program's in and outs? I did buy CD 6 (a Mac version, never updated) and start to work with it, but it was so different, that it wasn't worth my time to continue with it, especially since I never got CD files to have to work on. Same thing, only the other direction?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline cyw

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 12:28:22 PM »
I would agree, Steve.
We all work with what we're more comfortable with.
No wars
No Illy vs Corel debate

I think that most of us that use Corel just wish that the 2 programs could Play Nice with each other.
From our vantage point, it sometimes feels the scales are tilted.
Converting a cdr file to eps, pdf or an ai  file is a simple process.
Bringing in an ai or eps file or sometimes even pdf .................is totally different.

Just how I see it, anyway.

Diane

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 12:55:17 PM »
I've been out of the loop regarding going between the two programs for a few years now. I use Illustrator CS3 on my rig still... but I remember these problems from way back.

The compatibility issues between these software aren't vector problems, but bitmap effects problems.... gradients, gradient meshes, blends, transparencies, etc. For a while there, it seemed that PDF was the answer. That must have changed a version or two back?

In the past, it was always better to IMPORT an EPS or AI file into Draw, rather than just OPEN it. Is this still the case?

At any rate, I've found that for any vector artwork that is heavy with gradients or blends, the best way to sep it is to bring it into Photoshop. Better white base, easier-to-make White highlights and no bogging down the printer with huge files. Plus, better control of color overlap in the gradient areas.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 01:36:12 PM »
I've been out of the loop regarding going between the two programs for a few years now. I use Illustrator CS3 on my rig still... but I remember these problems from way back.

The compatibility issues between these software aren't vector problems, but bitmap effects problems.... gradients, gradient meshes, blends, transparencies, etc. For a while there, it seemed that PDF was the answer. That must have changed a version or two back?

In the past, it was always better to IMPORT an EPS or AI file into Draw, rather than just OPEN it. Is this still the case?

At any rate, I've found that for any vector artwork that is heavy with gradients or blends, the best way to sep it is to bring it into Photoshop. Better white base, easier-to-make White highlights and no bogging down the printer with huge files. Plus, better control of color overlap in the gradient areas.

Import is all that works for most "alien" files types.
PDF may be the exception, and pdf's can be iffy depending on how they were created as well. For instance, fonts still need to be converted.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 03:45:28 PM »

Yes, I've imported more than one crazy vector file into Photoshop, you know the ones that look simple but have a million shapes and masks...

Steve

Offline DraginInk

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 07:45:01 PM »

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING

I used to fight it.... These days if I don't get a file to transfer on the first try.... I'll bust out the Photoshop. Done. And with the pluses mentioned.
Here we go ...again

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 08:27:09 PM »
As Doug said, if something's giving me grief,
it's STRAIGHT TO RASTER WITH YOU! ( you miserable pos, etc, etc )

I often find that, it's not really the format that isn't compatible,
but the lack of understanding on the part of the creator of said file, who deserves the blame.

Since Illy added compression, that can cause some grief.
I think most Illy grief with Corel files was to do with this as well, since compression was/is default.

Still, there's lots of bad vector files out there, regardless of format.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 10:30:12 PM »
I love the files that look simple, until you go to wireframe and see the demons within. Flatten transparency does real well with some of these...

Steve

Offline thinkdesign

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2011, 01:23:41 AM »
I still have to save all my AI files to version 88 for the person the prints my vinyl. I'll have to check with her to see what version of cdr she uses. Maybe I can save a step.