Author Topic: A thought about the future  (Read 696 times)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
A thought about the future
« on: April 16, 2020, 09:23:36 AM »
Like most of us over time we have noticed more and more of the items we get from our suppliers are manufactured in China.
Sources like Viet Nam, Honduras , and others have migrated to now show made in China.
Setting aside the viral issues possibly associated with Chinese source goods is anyone here interested in requesting out suppliers , SanMar, Alpha, S&S and the others to indicate on their web pages the country of origin for the tee shirts and other items we buy to support our business? I have researched a couple of supplier sites and don't seem to find this information, I could just be missing it.
Not trying to make this political but I think it might be a value to our individual business going forward to know the point of origin of the products we hand our customers.
What do you think?
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Logowear

• Verified/Junior
Re: A thought about the future
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 09:44:31 AM »
The problem is that most item are made in multiple countries.
I just did a large order or PA Silk Touch Performance Polos and they were manufactured in 4 different countries.
Tanzania, Madagascar, Sri Lanka and Vietnam. The quality was very nice (for a $7 shirt) to total crap depending on where it was made.
Time to find a new budget shirt.
Specialty Stitches

Online TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 10:03:33 AM »
The problem is that most item are made in multiple countries.

This is it right here. If I look on our rack of Next Level Blanks just from where I'm sitting I can see 3 different countries of origin. Same with Independent hoodies, there are typically 2 different countries depending on what PO your order came out of.

Bigger companies like Gildan for example are manufactured in multiple different countries as well. It's just for us in the states(maybe Canada as well?) we only see the blanks from Honduras or Haiti. If you are in China, your Gildan shirts will typically be from either China or maybe Vietnam(I had this discussion a while ago I don't remember if Vietnam was one of them).  People in Europe will probably see Gildan stuff from another country as well.

The bigger companies use multiple different factories. There was a article a few years ago I read where they talked about big companies like Gildan and FOL switching to factories in different countries ever year or something over a fraction of a cent per garment.

Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 11:22:12 AM »
Ok, then list all possible countries of origin.  I know that for myself we are moving away from anything we can that is made in China.  It's obviously not possible to eliminate it all, but I will spend more money to keep it made in the US, Mexico, Canada, Taiwan, etc. And I understand that many components must come from there, but there is no reason to not throttle back.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 12:49:18 PM »
Ok, then list all possible countries of origin. 

For as long as I can remember, catalog and eventually online sales ordering often just lump all foreign sourced goods as "imported"
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 01:04:15 PM »

For as long as I can remember, catalog and eventually online sales ordering often just lump all foreign sourced goods as "imported"

Guinness used to be made in Toronto for the US market just to bear that distinction.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 01:09:47 PM »
We all know why we get goods from other countries, ask your customer's to pay more for American made products and see what happens, but yet they bitch about price. I want say more because I don't want Frog to close or move it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 01:14:20 PM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 02:21:34 PM »

"Guinness used to be made in Toronto for the US market just to bear that distinction."

Great, now I'm thirsty.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 07:10:41 PM »
There are a few brands that are solely Made in Mexico.....I think Delta shirts in a few countries but if you order enough, you can request only Mexico.....

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 11:55:52 PM »
At Long Beach I asked one of the wholesalers what in their catalog was made in the USA, I can import made in the USA without taxes.
Answer, nothing.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline californiadreamin

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 12:14:14 AM »
At Long Beach I asked one of the wholesalers what in their catalog was made in the USA, I can import made in the USA without taxes.
Answer, nothing.

Royal Apparel
Bayside Apparel

There are more to be found!