Author Topic: Code Talkers.  (Read 828 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Code Talkers.
« on: April 20, 2020, 02:39:23 PM »
First off, hats off and bows to the Native American Tribes. Mainly Navaho and Seminole. Much research to do so pardon if I get the history a bit wrong. However the Code Talkers were recuited mainly to develop a communication system that only they could understand. They have been credited with helping to us winning WW2. Great diversion between housecleaning and being sequestered (sort of). Check the History Channel. Also I'm sure several books and at least one movie on this sometimes are available about this little known subject these days.
What a great and true story. Again, not a historian, but I am learning. The library is closed for now so I have to do it from home.
Best to all and if you know more about the subject (Frog!) pls chime in!
Best and be safe and well!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 08:15:04 PM by tonypep »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Code Talkers.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 03:23:19 PM »
First off, hats off and bows to the Native American Tribes. Mainly Navaho and Seminole. Much research to so do pardon if I get the history a bit wrong. However the Code Talkers were recuited mainly to develop a communication system that only they could understand. They have been credited with helping to us winning WW2. Great diversion between housecleaning and being sequestered (sort of). Check the History Channel. Also I'm sure several books and at least one movie on this sometimes are available about this little known subject these days.
What a great and true story. Again, not a historian, but I am learning. The library is closed for now so I have to do it from home.
Best to all and if you know more about the subject (Frog!) pls chime in!
Best and be safe and well!

Besides knowing the 2002 recent film about this, Windtalkers, I have no more info.
But interestingly, on the other side of the coin,  there was also a good movie, The Imitation Game, about Alan Turing, who decrypted German intelligence messages for the British government during the Second World War.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 03:34:47 PM »
Quote from book review>
"On the Pacific Front, during WW2, strange messages were picked up by American and Japanese forces that were unintelligible except for a small select group within the Marines. The Navaho Code Talkers communicated in a code language based on the Navaho language. This code, the first unbreakable one in US history, was a key reason that the Allies were able to win in the Pacific."
The book tells the story of this special group who proved be some the bravest, loyal and valuable soldiers in the US Army during the war."
I parphrased a bit, you can get some paperback versions on line for less than ten or five dollars. A little known but important contribution.
 Kudos tp
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:09:43 PM by tonypep »

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 04:11:45 PM »
A friend of mine that sends me jokes, etc sent this link recently on the Navajo Code talkers.  I found it interesting, however, a statement was made that the communication in Morse code would have taken 30 minutes to send.  Being a (now inactive) Ham Operator having spent years sending/receiving Morse Code, at 25+ wpm, I was pretty sure that message would have taken much less than 30 minutes to send.  However the content was incredible, quite moving and would have been impossible to intercept and be read.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmiqnAQTTCI
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 09:31:48 PM »
That was extremely cool and made tear up a bit. Thank You for sharing this link. We need to remember.
tp

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 07:18:21 PM »
Please please watch this video from screenxpress.
tp