Author Topic: Obama Campaign Sues PPD for Copyright Infringement  (Read 4966 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Obama Campaign Sues PPD for Copyright Infringement
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 01:52:13 PM »
scott, those are what we call forward thinkers.

of course unless it's Harley, they are the worst about even coming close to their logo.  The shield in particular.  I am surprised they haven't gone after the interstate highway system because it's similar.

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 02:11:31 PM »
scott, those are what we call forward thinkers.

of course unless it's Harley, they are the worst about even coming close to their logo.  The shield in particular.  I am surprised they haven't gone after the interstate highway system because it's similar.

Some companies, usually non-profits, actually have Media sections of their websites and if you dig deep enough, you can find downloadable logo files. When people would call and ask where a particular logo was, I'd explain, then suggest they call the company itself and ask for the logo. Sometimes it would work.

Harley, Chevy, Coca Cola, Nike are all very protective, as well as pro and collegiate sports teams, mainly because their logos are so popular and stand alone as fashion icons. It is about money with these folks, and I have to say I agree with them.... Its their property, they paid for it, they have every right to control its use. It's when a big company tries to copyright beyond their intellectual property into common language... Eat More Kale vs. Eat Mor Chikkin is a good example of that... then I have a problem.

We had to eliminate all illustrations of Volkswagen Beetles from a clip art volume because of a cease/decist from VW. That's going too far, IMO. I mean come on, nobody can have a drawing of a car that can be seen out on the streets every day? It's not the same as copying that car's design to sell my own cars.... not the same as stealing your work and calling it my own. Too protective? Or justified protection of a brand?

Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 04:45:24 PM »
We held the contract to print the ORIGINAL Obama stuff back in 2008.  We printed 2 million shirts for his campaign that year.  It sucked too.  I almost died!
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 04:55:34 PM »
UGh, I remember printing stuff like that.  World Series, Super Bowl, 1996 Olympics.