Author Topic: New Orleans - Paying It Forward  (Read 6249 times)

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
Re: New Orleans - Paying It Forward
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2021, 09:56:23 AM »
Everyone has cars, back up batteries and so forth

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2021, 10:01:17 AM »
You are lucky you have internet.

We have a friend in the Garden District and she can barely get out SMS messages, no internet for her.

We are constantly trying to relay messages for her to the outside world but we worry about her and the heat.  She has a slew of cats and won't leave them. :(

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2021, 10:09:54 AM »
Also to prevent any confusion I am currently in Florida. I had to get wife and kid out asap. I have to head back asap though to meet insurance adjusters.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2021, 11:11:01 AM »
Also the awesome Gilligan on here lives about 3 hours west of New Orleans so we might run some jobs with him next week. He is great and has offered much help in times of need. Plus others! Thank you everyone!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2021, 12:07:58 PM »
Hold that thanks till after you have to use my shabby shop! LOL

FYI, we are only 2.5 hours and I would HIGHLY advise taking the Huey P Long bridge to 90 and coming up that way. We normally take 310 but... wait, I think 310 is available leaving NOLA just not entering... so take 310 to Boutte and then come up 90 into Lafayette... don't go I-10 through BR... that's never a good plan and probably even worse right now.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2021, 12:54:26 PM »
I have a buddy down there that  has no power or net. Fortunately he has Star Link and a gennie and he could not be happier about the star link. It is becoming a game changer for a lt of people with poor or no access to the net.
"No man is an island"

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2021, 01:57:39 PM »
I have a buddy down there that  has no power or net. Fortunately he has Star Link and a gennie and he could not be happier about the star link. It is becoming a game changer for a lt of people with poor or no access to the net.

We have a T-Mobile wifi router on the boat and if we traveled on the boat more we would definitely be looking harder at Starlink.  We just got the T-Mobile thing right before Starlink dropped and at $50/month with pretty much ZERO install (it works off cell and then blast out wifi all in one tubular unit.)  So it's simple enough to keep.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2021, 03:40:11 PM »

We have a T-Mobile wifi router on the boat and if we traveled on the boat more we would definitely be looking harder at Starlink.  We just got the T-Mobile thing right before Starlink dropped and at $50/month with pretty much ZERO install (it works off cell and then blast out wifi all in one tubular unit.)  So it's simple enough to keep.

But does that require to be in reach of cellular towers? Star link is pretty bad ass. Just a small dish and modem, you can pick it up and drop it anywhere you go and it will work. Well at least in the coverage that SpaceX has so far. As long as Sore loser Bezos does not successfully sabotage SpaceX plans they should have full earth coverage in a few years.
"No man is an island"

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2021, 04:00:25 PM »

But does that require to be in reach of cellular towers? Star link is pretty bad ass. Just a small dish and modem, you can pick it up and drop it anywhere you go and it will work. Well at least in the coverage that SpaceX has so far. As long as Sore loser Bezos does not successfully sabotage SpaceX plans they should have full earth coverage in a few years.

100% correct.

We already went with T-Mobile before the Starlink rollout.

Starlink is more expensive.

For now we aren't roaming anywhere... especially any places without cell service. ;)

When we retire and sail off, we will be switched over.

Sidenote, I was a beta tester for some of the first home broadband satellite systems.  Free highspeed internet when not many people had it was pretty dope!

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2021, 12:08:56 AM »
Just some interesting stuff I am learning going forward. With our multiple policies here and there I am hoping to not only have business interruption partially covered but employee payroll as well while we are closed due to the hurricane recovery. Granted it will not be the usual salary but hopefully a chunk of it for each person. Then next week looking forward to doing some printing at Gilligan's on here plus sending out multiple jobs. I know we are all very busy these days but if anyone has some open room on the schedule please send me a message. Thank you everyone whom has reached out. Much appreciated!

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2021, 11:04:12 PM »
Just an update! Still no electric or anything. Very depressing as we are going into our normal busy season anyway and just slammed. But have multiple print locations (thanks Gilligan!) in Louisiana and around town now too. We will get it sorted and I look forward to sharing our insurance experience with everyone on here.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2021, 05:49:34 AM »
We are a little far from you (Tampa FL area) but if there is anything we can do please shoot me a PM.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2021, 02:28:19 PM »
Hey everybody, a Huge THANK YOU to Gilligan on here. Yesterday he let me use his press to knock stuff out. My first time on a Workhorse Sabre and super fun press. Really cool. But we are still without power and we have something like 20+ thousand prints to do so hoping for power this weekend. Insurance companies are finally getting back in touch with me and looking to have relief. Once this all clears up I will tell you what to purchase because I can guarantee your current policy doesn't cover what you think it does.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2021, 04:24:45 PM »
Come back here... you know how it all works... I'll just give you a key and you can do what you need to over the weekend.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2021, 09:03:02 PM »
Come back here... you know how it all works... I'll just give you a key and you can do what you need to over the weekend.

Dude you are the man. Thank you and you are super swell. Hoping to see y'all in New Orleans soon!