Author Topic: What do you use for mixing or even shaking your inks  (Read 9030 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: What do you use for mixing or even shaking your inks
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 11:44:22 AM »
The only thing about a red devil is that it gyro mixes and when used with thick pigments is it will push everything to the sides of the container. I think an old school red devil shaker would be better as it shakes left to right as opposed to spinning. But I think some sort of table with multiple drills would work faster and mix better

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 12:05:12 PM »
I can't believe no one said "The new guy".    :)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 12:09:18 PM »
I get my wife to mix em after I get it about halfway mixed.

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 01:21:50 PM »
Ok, found some photo. Looks just like a standard ink shaker for paints. I assume a Red Devil one will do the job equally well.
Might, but I doubt it... Paint is much thinner than ink. The M&R creates a rolling action inside the bucket... I personally prefer a turnabout or tornado, but for quarts the M&R shaker is pretty sweet!!
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 06:38:52 PM »
Ok, found some photo. Looks just like a standard ink shaker for paints. I assume a Red Devil one will do the job equally well.
Might, but I doubt it... Paint is much thinner than ink. The M&R creates a rolling action inside the bucket... I personally prefer a turnabout or tornado, but for quarts the M&R shaker is pretty sweet!!
Does M&R still sell that shaker. It`s not on their website any longer. I wish they would offer a less fancy version for the not so high end shop.

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 07:23:16 PM »

Does M&R still sell that shaker. It`s not on their website any longer. I wish they would offer a less fancy version for the not so high end shop.

It is still on their site...

http://www.mrprint.com/en/ProductOverview.aspx?id=70

Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 11:00:32 PM »
Yes you are right. Sorry about that. Somehow I managed to over look it. You have an idea what that unit retails for?

Offline Scobey Peterman

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 07:22:40 AM »
Here is what we use.

Quality over Quantity

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 08:05:58 AM »
I do the exact same thing.  It works great.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 08:13:39 AM »
what about a drill press and a rigged up table? we use a drill right now but that's getting old.

Homer I use a drill press and large allen wrenches as a mixer. I have a piece of wood cut to match the shape of a bucket with two holes drilled through and tightening knobs to clamp the bucket in place, the allen wrenches are nice they clean off with one pull of a rag, set the press on the lowest RPM and walk away.
"No man is an island"

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 10:41:55 AM »
We use a prop blade on a drill for 5 gallon buckets, but hand mix smaller amounts. Shaking plastisol? I really can't seem to wrap my head around that, since the ink is so thick. Maybe for thin graphic inks, that is more paint like in viscosity. Or maybe that's just me...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Online Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 10:50:16 AM »
We have an ink shaker - I think it was marketed by Polyone...

we use the Wilflex PC express system and I found it helpful to coat the top of the new bucket lid with base to prevent the pigments from sticking on the lid and not mixing into the bucket.

Ive shook everything from quarts to 5g buckets.  some buckets work better than others, repeated use can crush the side of some buckets.

although it will shake a 5g bucket, we are on wood floors and the vibrations are crazy...  I usually dont shake anything over a half full 5g.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 03:00:40 PM »
I use a hand drill with a long aleen wrench to mix or stir my inks, the aleen wrench is so easy to clean...those paint mixers are a pain in the booty to clean.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 04:13:28 PM »
We use a prop blade on a drill for 5 gallon buckets, but hand mix smaller amounts. Shaking plastisol? I really can't seem to wrap my head around that, since the ink is so thick. Maybe for thin graphic inks, that is more paint like in viscosity. Or maybe that's just me...

Steve
I think the whole idea behind shaking inks is that plastisol inks no matter how thick will eventually become more thinn after a bit of shaking. I assume though that you will need a proper industrial style paint shaker.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
With a normal Red Devil Paint Shaker it would take about 2-3 minutes to thourougly disperse liquid pigment in a gallon of base house paint. I would think with plastisol pigments being much thicker it would take that shaker probably 10 times as long to disperse the pigment and then you are introducing alot of heat to the ink.