Author Topic: Memory issue with illustrator (but not really)  (Read 28189 times)

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Re: Memory issue with illustrator (but not really)
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2012, 12:41:25 PM »
 ???
Perhaps some of my problem is lack of reference--when I checked out that 2600 stepping CPU on Newegg, it ran over 300$.  Once you throw together that couple hundred bucks of RAM, a mobo, case, drives, and a power supply to match up, I was figuring even close to 1K would be cheaping out a little on components.  Of course, I'm not getting components wholesale either. 

If you can build a solid computer from the mentioned 2600K stepping i7 for under a grand, I'm fully in agreement with you--if you can build your own computer with those specs for 600, paying 300-400 for one that's 1/4 the speed wouldn't be a good deal, unless you only have 300-400 bucks to spend, and/or you can't build your own computers.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2012, 01:27:33 PM »
???
Perhaps some of my problem is lack of reference--when I checked out that 2600 stepping CPU on Newegg, it ran over 300$.  Once you throw together that couple hundred bucks of RAM, a mobo, case, drives, and a power supply to match up, I was figuring even close to 1K would be cheaping out a little on components.  Of course, I'm not getting components wholesale either. 

If you can build a solid computer from the mentioned 2600K stepping i7 for under a grand, I'm fully in agreement with you--if you can build your own computer with those specs for 600, paying 300-400 for one that's 1/4 the speed wouldn't be a good deal, unless you only have 300-400 bucks to spend, and/or you can't build your own computers.

Of course, if he has only 3-400 to spend the point is moot.  But, I think he should understand what he was recommended is very dated which was my original point.  I am not in any way trying to suggest he could build a i7 with a 2600 for anything close to 3-400.  BUT, I do think for 5-6-700 he could be in something way, way, way better.  I am not saying that it's crap either that he was recommended.  I just for one couldn't justify buying a computer that runs a dual core 2008 processor running only a 160gb hard drive and call it my work computer. 

To each their own, just know what you are buying.  I was under the impression some context could help him.  So I gave some.

Here is some more thought.  At $700 here is a computer with a lot more ram, a lot more processor power, 2 x 1tb drives, dual monitor graphics and all:

Processor comparison:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-2300+%40+2.80GHz

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Extreme+X9100+%40+3.06GHz
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2012, 04:34:40 PM »
And hard drive prices are outrageous right now... that should be about 100 bucks or MORE cheaper.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2012, 05:01:22 PM »
And hard drive prices are outrageous right now... that should be about 100 bucks or MORE cheaper.

Ya HD's should be a little cheaper, if he was to wait a bit that price would probably be a bit cheaper.  You could even skimp on a few other specs on this computer and still be a good bit ahead of the other one that was being discussed.

These prices are right on Newegg.com btw. 

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2012, 05:28:35 PM »
I must be getting good coupons from New Egg.....I just got a Seagate Barracuda LP ST3500412AS 500GB 5900 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive for 31.99 with free shipping......

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2012, 05:30:09 PM »
I must be getting good coupons from New Egg.....I just got a Seagate Barracuda LP ST3500412AS 500GB 5900 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive for 31.99 with free shipping......

Good price, but 5900RPM drive....that's why its cheap.  Performance on something like that will be really slow. 

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2012, 06:50:59 PM »
Oh yea?  Well, I just got a duel 6x6 4 ton  3.62 ( on the floor) sims with 12 prong copper mine pins with a 4000k "double" metal halide HD and a 220 connector, out the door.... with free shipping for only $80.00).  Really it was 79.49 but you know. Rounding up. ;). Oh and they tossed in a free flux capacitor.

If I knew half what you guys knew about computers, I could rule the Internet...again!
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2012, 06:54:39 PM »
I'll trade lessons with you Dan. ;)

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2012, 09:50:53 PM »
If one fills up alot of their ram with data, the OS will slide stuff in and out of the pagefile
while shuffling it around in physical mem adresses.
They're designed this way ( operating systems ), if I'm not mistaken.
I'm thinkin' that a page file on par with size of physical ram is still a good thing.
Even if it seems ridiculous in size. Have more power, will use more power

I'm not so sure about using a flash-disk stick as a pagefile.
I'd imagine the sata pipeline of data is faster than USB, and the read/write speed/reliability
of a mechanical drive far surpasses the flash ram in the stick.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
We check the RAM usage... it doesn't exceed it... either way it only will shuffle to page file what it NEEDS to.  I'd have to "NEED" 32 gigs to use a 16 gig page file.

I'm using USB 3 (which is pretty fast) and it's not a usb flash drive, it's a external HD.

I'm only using it because I have it... vs internal HD's.  When prices come back down to normal I'll pick up some drives for a raid 1 but for now she'll have to do.

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2012, 11:49:40 PM »
How is the external doing?
I like that idea, I just kinda cringed when I read about using a usb stick when that became an option,
and assumed some actually were.
I'm not trying to argue, I'm trying to learn something.
 ;)
Cheerz.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2012, 12:05:25 AM »
A USB stick would work too actually.  I'm just not keen on read/writing that much to a flash drive (it has that name for a reason).  They have a limited amount of writes.

So far she hasn't seen the issue pop up again.  This is a bandaid to the issue right now, but it's what we got.

We are in the computer business to make money, so I'm not gonna use up too much of what I got for personal computers right now.  This is why I still use a Lenova workstation that I inherited that blue screens at least once a day due to memory controller issues (I suspect). :)

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2012, 12:42:30 AM »
Frequent saves my friend.
Gotta hate it when the circuits go bad...there's too many to trace.
Heck, I get mad when a vehicle's wiring harness gets funky, and that's some stone aged tech.
 :)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2012, 12:48:45 AM »
I don't do any "real" work on my PC... I just play on it. LOL