Author Topic: well it finally happened...  (Read 6358 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: well it finally happened...
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2012, 10:49:12 AM »
Sales are indeed the bottom line.
However, some have a creative itch to scratch, and can hopefully either balance the selling and doing, or delegate that job.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline hazeremover

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2012, 10:51:36 AM »
I would consider possibly doing some contract printing for a few promotional product distributors in your area. the margins are thinner but its decent income and cash flow while you are making decisions about what direction to take your company. I would never even consider a job. you know the potential of what you have printing and doing art.

Contract printing is probably the easiest way to build your business. All the better if you have the printing experience and know your craft well. With that rep, you'll grow fast. Our industry is littered with many contract print shops that are busy and generating solid profit but are lacking in production skill. It's a common complaint from marketing firms who use them, especially when they have a high profile client that requires better than average results. In most cases they're forced to use whatever local Jethro is available. Some go national for their production but more often than not, they'd rather give their business to a screen printer who is local. It doesn't take much to differentiate yourself from the mediocre to your clients. You don't have to work as hard to generate sales as you would with a custom shop.

Offline Scobey Peterman

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2012, 11:16:38 AM »
My concern would be having Heath insurance for you and your family.  If your wife has it for the family from here job then go full steam ahead with screen printing.  If not get a parttime job to help with the insurance .

It took God talking to me three times, getting fired from 3 different restaurant, to point me into this job.

We have just started years 24 and I'm not looking back.

Good luck
Quality over Quantity

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2012, 12:37:56 PM »
Contract can be a good source of cash flow. I have a handful of sign shops, embroidery shops etc that I do work for which has been great the past couple months. Easy cheesy, you dont have to do any legwork, the garments show up, the art is sent correctly, we print and ship. I love it.

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2012, 02:48:24 PM »
Just a heads up as of now. My wife and I have decided to pursue the building of the business for the next two months and then reevaluate. This has involved some bill cut backs, some reaching out to friends, family and good customers, pulling my oldest child from day care ($ASS LOAD monthly expense) and basically me becoming MR. Mom which really I dont have a problem with. I like cooking and I love my kids when they are good ;D. So I take my boy to school (1st grade) in the morning, my wife drops off the little girl at day care for the day then she goes to work and picks her up on the way home, I pick up the boy in the afternoon i think it will work out. My best friend that is in the sign and t-shirt business is sending me all his art work stuff and im doing some contract printing for him(he doesnt screen print anymore). So come to find out I really only have to bring home almost SO MUCH a week. I did A LOT in just art work between wednesday and saturday and guess what i didnt bust my ass or knuckles for anyone and it feels really good i must say. I just wish i did this like 5 years ago. So If anyone needs any vector art redraws or original vectors done shoot it my way. Thanks again for the support and keep me in your prayers or thoughts. ;D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 01:41:21 AM by jason-23 »

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2012, 02:51:20 PM »
Thats awesome Jason, you should come up with a price list for your art, seps, vectorizing and such.

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2012, 03:01:32 PM »
Thats awesome Jason, you should come up with a price list for your art, seps, vectorizing and such.
its on my native vector services site, the link is in my signature.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2012, 03:12:25 PM »
Ok cool!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2012, 03:46:26 PM »
Each case is different. your needs might be larger than mine. I would not use 2 months as a gauge for whether you can make it or not. You need 6 months at a min. and most business failures are during or after the 2nd year.

I've been on my own since my layoff in March of 09, going on 3 years. I am happier than ever. I have hit one or two times of re-considering and am glad to say, I came to my senses. I still don't make more than I did at the other Co. but enjoying what I do is far better than $. Luckily, I have a sugar baby wife who brings in the beef of the income.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2012, 04:15:39 PM »
marketing y`all got that right
if you pay attention on the internet there some dudes that comes with the idea for selling tess in a website
their designs are pretty crappy, and still making money not because of quality but because of marketing
you seems to know what works best in the screen printing part as well in the art department .
you got it all, don`t stop keep it going bro.

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2012, 01:37:31 PM »
Jason if I can help in any way give me a call or text. Good luck with the adventure your sure to have some ups and downs but always look up and give thanks for the good and the bad.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2012, 09:49:52 PM »

Love ya like a brother, but try to hold on to a few details that you don't need to share with the www.  ;)

I think you'll do fine.  Just stick with it.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:11:12 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2012, 01:44:55 AM »
Just a heads up as of now. My wife and I have decided to pursue the building of the business for the next two months and then reevaluate. This has involved some bill cut backs, some reaching out to friends, family and good customers, pulling my oldest child from day care ($400.00 monthly expense) and basically me becoming MR. Mom which really I dont have a problem with. I like cooking and I love my kids when they are good ;D. So I take my boy to school (1st grade) in the morning, my wife drops off the little girl at day care for the day then she goes to work and picks her up on the way home, I pick up the boy in the afternoon i think it will work out. My best friend that is in the sign and t-shirt business is sending me all his art work stuff and im doing some contract printing for him(he doesnt screen print anymore). So come to find out I really only have to bring home almost $500 a week. I did $750 in just art work between wednesday and saturday and guess what i didnt bust my ass or knuckles for anyone and it feels really good i must say. I just wish i did this like 5 years ago. So If anyone needs any vector art redraws or original vectors done shoot it my way. Thanks again for the support and keep me in your prayers or thoughts. ;D

Jason, love ya like a brother, but try to hold on to a few details that you don't need to share with the www.  ;)

I think you'll do fine.  Just stick with it.
GOT IT! FIXED IT BUT MAYBE TO LATE... i forget that there are www a-holes, but everyone on here is like brother,sister or father to me and some are like the HOA president that lives across the street from me.... ;D

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2012, 09:01:14 AM »
haha, good luck with the hoa.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2012, 12:13:25 PM »
I edited it out of mine. Now just edit from yours.

Oh good luck with the hoa too :-)
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers