Author Topic: Boxing in Dryer Heat?  (Read 2640 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Boxing in Dryer Heat?
« on: June 27, 2012, 01:52:27 PM »
Right now we are battling 100-120 degree days in our shop!

and our 10 ft M&R Elimnator Gas dryer is not helping!

Any ideas on how to contain the heat from the dryer a bit more, so that it's not leaking out into the shop? It's pretty effecient as a dryer, but it's still putting out massive amounts of heat!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Boxing in Dryer Heat?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 02:13:18 PM »
How are you exhausting the heat as it is? The standard vent and fan vented to the outside or some have also added additional hooded exhausts similar to kitchen set-ups over the out-feed.
Does it have panel doors at each end that can be raised and lowered depending on garment height?

The shame is, ideally, all of that heat would stay in the dryer itself for maximum efficiency.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 03:23:32 PM »
We have a hooded exhaust at the end of the dryer, with a fan in the exhaust. However it gets so hot up in that area, that the fan just dies shortly after being turned on.

The dryer has panels doors on each end that we can use to raise or lower depending on the garment size.
Night Owls

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 03:30:23 PM »
Maybe Rich or one of the other kind folks at M&R will chime in. We also have a resident dryer expert in Winston Strickland (Californiadriaming) who may see this and have a suggestion.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 03:36:04 PM »
Maybe invent a dryer with a revolver door system that keeps the climate seperated like in office buildings, yea i know that was stupid ;D
"No man is an island"

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 04:37:28 PM »
Last summer our shop was getting up to 115-118 by 3pm, now this year with the new dryer it's staying around 102-107.  You can better insulate your dryer and it's fairly simple to do.  I've heard of shops using the same type of stuff you see on the big freezer and coolers in the grocery stores and wrapping their dryers with it.  One shop here in town installed a giant fan with a ridge vent that pulls up the air from the shop and shoots it out the top of the building.  Maybe you could add some fans to help pull the hot air out of the building, add ridge vents, better insulate the dryer and that should help a good bit.  We did a lot of stuff to our shop and every little thing helped a degree or two, and the new dryer has made the biggest difference because it's insulated properly, is way more efficient and you can stand right next to it and not feel any heat radiating from it.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 05:20:09 PM »
Any idea on where to get the cooler insulation? or what it's called for that matter? is it as simple as going to home depot?
Night Owls

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 06:08:36 PM »
Let me send a few emails to the shops that I visited where I saw that stuff and see if they can't give more info on where they got it and what it's called.  I went and visited a few local shops last year when I was trying to get our shop cooler so nobody died from heat exhaustion. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 06:29:10 PM »
Thanks Alan!

i'm looking into Ductboard right now as a matter a fact, hopefully it's something similar to this!
Night Owls

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 06:35:13 PM »
If worse comes to worse, I know it would be ugly, but I wonder if just regular, roll-on housing insulation would make a difference?  It's worth a try and it's cheap.  I know the feeling of trying to cool the shop down, especially after last summer.  It will wear you out mentally as much or more than physically after a month or two.  I thought we were going to kill each other by August last year, but somehow we made it to mid September when the 100 degree streak finally ended.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 07:57:28 PM »

Any ideas on how to contain the heat from the dryer a bit more, so that it's not leaking out into the shop? It's pretty effecient as a dryer, but it's still putting out massive amounts of heat!
The Eliminator is a fuel hog! Don't waste any more money trying to insulate,etc. you could easily pay for a new dryer with the energy savings you would experience by putting in a Sprint 2000. The Eliminator burns more gas than the payment on a new dryer monthly!
Rich Hoffman

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 08:09:54 PM »
It ain't gas, but this is what I did to mine.  It was made out of ductboard and sealed with that goopy stuff.  The hole in the middle goes to a small suction fan to pull the air from over the dryer and about 6 inches all around up and out.  Sits on two 2x4s on edge that are nailed to 4 small 3/4 blocks that sit flat so that air could flow past the 2x4s.  Basically just like a vent hood and works pretty well.  Cost was about $65.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:13:24 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 09:24:52 PM »

The Eliminator is a fuel hog! Don't waste any more money trying to insulate,etc. you could easily pay for a new dryer with the energy savings you would experience by putting in a Sprint 2000. The Eliminator burns more gas than the payment on a new dryer monthly!

Honestly, we only pay $150-$200 a month in gas, and that's split between the eliminator and a house that has a gas powered stove and water heater.....so really it's not hogging anything!
Night Owls

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 11:06:04 PM »

Honestly, we only pay $150-$200 a month in gas, and that's split between the eliminator and a house that has a gas powered stove and water heater.....so really it's not hogging anything!
Hours ran must be low. Running 8 hrs per day should be around 20-25 per day.
Rich Hoffman

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 12:11:10 AM »
We usually run it from about 10am until 9pm Monday through friday, and when we are really busy 10am until midnight monday to monday.

so i'm not sure what we are doing, but somehow it's super cheap for us.
Night Owls