Author Topic: New Alabama Law Aug 1  (Read 1915 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
New Alabama Law Aug 1
« on: August 02, 2012, 03:00:53 PM »
As of August 1 we have a new law in effect no texting or phone to ears or setting your gps while driving, if caught a fine of $256.00 and points taking off your license, so your if coming to visit or thru Bama watch out.  Oh yeah did ya know a 2010 zr1 corvette will hit 200 mph saw it last night on the speed network, they tested one out over in Italy 600hp 6 speed....160 in 5th gear.  I got a vette but it won't do all that LOL.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline jasonl

• !!!
Re: New Alabama Law Aug 1
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 03:07:19 PM »
where are u in alabama, my shop in GA is not to far from the line.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 03:12:08 PM »
We have the law in CA, (no mention of standard GPS units though).
In an hour of driving though, I still typically see at least a dozen hand phoners and who knows how many "lap texters"

I also know that CA cops have training in spotting probable cell phone addicts getting their fixes as well as last second "fix-it" moves for those who don't like their seat belts.

And, btw, the fine amounts given are usually only the state portion, and don't include the city or county part. since they are the ones who must take care of the settlement.
Here, some folks scoffed the law because of it's initial seemingly small, affordable amount, only to discover that it was actually considerably more. (of course, many still scoff it)

I'll note that here they did have to add texting after the initial rolling out of the enforcement of the law, because the law makers took for granted that no one could be that stupid or selfish and irresponsible! Boy, were they wrong!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 03:29:37 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 03:18:08 PM »
Thats a great law. I think they should double the fine though.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 03:46:42 PM »
Jasonl i,m about 2 miles north of Dothan down in the southeast corner of alabama....our cpos have a camera set up in there cars now just to catch you and proof you were texting or yepping on your phone, my brother inlaw works with the statetroopers.

D

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 04:18:21 PM »
What part of GA r you from? I am about 50 miles from D (by the way the crow flies).

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 04:23:58 PM »
Good! wait until you get home, nobody is that important.  . . there should also be a law that you can get out of your car and bitch slap people at a 4 way stop. . .
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 04:26:53 PM »
Good! wait until you get home, nobody is that important.  . . there should also be a law that you can get out of your car and bitch slap people at a 4 way stop. . .

I would vote for that.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline starchild

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 06:17:44 PM »
That's been the law in DC/MD since 09 or 10 I like it and abide, unless I really have to take the call.
Most don't give a sh**t.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 06:23:19 PM »
Stop with all the laws. If your driving like a f-up then you get a ticket. I have seen people brushing their teeth, shaving, eating, painting their nails while driving. No more laws there is already a reckless driving law that covers all of this. Don't ticket me because the stupid people can't drive and hold a phone. I get most of my calls in while driving. I know I could get a head set but why I drive fine.

Whats next some one crashes while looking at a hot chick. New law no checking out hot chicks.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:30:52 PM by Screened Gear »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 06:47:36 PM »
This is going to risk getting philosophical or political, but believe it or not, the end goal on this is not tickets and revenue, but reducing loss of life and property damage.

Sure, everything is broadly covered in the reckless or distracted driving statutes, but without black and white distinctions like these laws provide, the grays are gonna kill people!
And with a lawyer, most everything would be gray.

I think that this may be more of a concern to certain groups of folks who put a little more on the line than others, like cyclists and those who pilot motor bikes, and parents of school age children, who have to share the road with these mobile phone addicts, and their ton or more of moving steel.
In that instant of a driver looking down at the buzzing phone, major sh1t can occur, and a car is definitely a loaded, lethal weapon.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline beanie357

• !!!
  • Patience begets quality
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 07:42:43 PM »
This is how crapola nanny state laws prolific rate.
Buttheads can't control themselves, create major havoc, and we get another frying law.
I personally witnessed a text accident. Felt like just shoot the a hole and out him out of our misery with these turds.
Google stats on hospital emergency rooms with nose, ankle injuries from the morons addicted to entertainment while walking.
Better yet, go to a major duty and avoid them while walking. I was in Philly last week. Started shouldering into the fools. Felt real good.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 07:59:43 PM »
More laws for your safety. Good thing the government is here for us.

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 08:02:57 PM »
What part of GA r you from? I am about 50 miles from D (by the way the crow flies).

Northwest GA , Rome to be exact.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 11:08:59 AM »
Talk about bad driving we see it every morning taking our son to school, people texting, women putting on eyeliner, guys reading there newspapers we see it all, and a young lady run us off the road while she was texting I blew the horn and she didn't even look up.

Darryl