Author Topic: MAC HELP NEEDED!  (Read 6745 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: MAC HELP NEEDED!
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 08:50:58 AM »
to get the right click menu on a Mac with the Mac mouse, you hold down the control key click.

How about I punch you in the face when I click!!   Just kidding but seriously I think that is the STUPIDEST answer anyone ever gives for "why doesn't Mac just give you a two button mouse?"

I also use the Kensington Expert mouse... expensive as all hell but I haven't been without one for about 15 years.  I own several.

It's really the same thing, whether you right click, which is what I do with my trackball since I hate mice, or hold a key while you click, 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other. Everyone here uses trackballs, it takes like 90 seconds to get used to. So, why does one go to the Start menu to quit? hee hee I had to get a new machine at home a month ago, and the new mouse which acts like a trackpad if you run your finger over the top is kinda cool; still, I went back to my trackball. And, I don't think that was a stupid answer, because it wasn't about why Mac doesn't offer the 2 button, but how to access the menu, geez man.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »
Because Mac proponents seem to NEVER just say "yeah, they should send a two mouse button".  They almost ALWAYS give the "well, you just hold down control while clicking."

I disagree on the 6 of one thing... if I've got my hand resting on my chin or something then it's a lot different than just moving a finger an 1/8 of an inch to right click vs moving my hand off my chin blah blah blah.

Point is that you don't ALWAYS have your other hand on the keyboard where as you ALWAYS have your finger on the right mouse button if you are using  a mouse.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 09:18:17 AM »
I bought a Mac in college.......Hated the mouse, hated the user interface......Last Mac I ever owned......

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 09:21:24 AM »
I bought a Mac in college.......Hated the mouse, hated the user interface......Last Mac I ever owned......

How long ago was that?!

That wasn't OS X was it?

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 09:25:20 AM »
It was along time ago.....Version 5.0 or 6.0 I think....

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 09:38:59 AM »
LOL... well X is a LOT different.

Personally it takes a bit of getting used to for me... probably due to the fact that I'm always on someone else's system and you never know where they keep their "smart bar" or whatever it is called.

I'm also not a fan of they system configuration system but it isn't all that bad.  I personally hate the Windows 7 version of it even more!

Offline Get Shirts

MAC HELP NEEDED!
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 10:12:17 AM »
You can set your might mouse up for both left and right click, so what's the problem?

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 10:35:34 AM »
You can set your might mouse up for both left and right click, so what's the problem?

He need to see two buttons :)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 10:43:56 AM »
Because Mac proponents seem to NEVER just say "yeah, they should send a two mouse button".  They almost ALWAYS give the "well, you just hold down control while clicking."

I disagree on the 6 of one thing... if I've got my hand resting on my chin or something then it's a lot different than just moving a finger an 1/8 of an inch to right click vs moving my hand off my chin blah blah blah.

Point is that you don't ALWAYS have your other hand on the keyboard where as you ALWAYS have your finger on the right mouse button if you are using  a mouse.

Really not a deal changer. My left hand is always on the keyboard, not my, uh, chin. ;D. As far as System 6, 20 years ago, there was no Windows, and a complete newbie could be using a Mac in 5 minutes. Now, whether they lifted the idea from Xerox is another thing altogether, but DOS was simply not easier to use. When I want to turn on a light, I don't want to wire a house to understand it, I just want the damn light on. All of my my most technical friends are Windows guys, because they can dig in further, which I understand completely, but that's not really what it's about for most of us. Hell, I know a ton more about music theory than the average music listener, that doesn't mean they extract the joy in the music to a lesser degree, or me to a greater degree. By the way, I typed all of this without my finger on the right button of my trackball.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 11:34:23 AM »

I'm talking about sans mighty mouse days.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 11:43:03 AM »

I'm talking about sans mighty mouse days.

10 years ago?
That is still an issue even if it is adjustable so you coud set it up as an 2 button mouse?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 12:25:14 PM »
Time flies when you are having fun... 7 years feels like 10. ;)

My issue is also mainly focused on the touch pads of their laptops.  Until recently there was just one massive button.

Offline Get Shirts

MAC HELP NEEDED!
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 12:54:30 PM »
You have been able to set up all four corners of the track pad to do a number of actions, including right click, for at least 7 years.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 01:09:12 PM »
Right... but that isn't intuitive by any means.

If they are trying to bring people over from windows then why not make them feel more comfortable (a split button, like they are used to).  I don't know ANY average user that knows about gestures or any of those tricks that you can do with a touch pad.  Even on a windows laptop.

It just has always felt like they just won't "cave in" and give Bill the 2 mouse button thing.  Seems petty at the expense of user friendliness.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 01:53:10 PM »
UPDATE

Talked with DK earlier even tho we did not figure out anything directly i did come across a new set of settings that turns out is key, a major KEY!

My biggest issue was nothing being plugged into a USB port was showing up in windows. Well in VM ware there is "USB and Bluetooth" settings in those settings it shows everything connected to the MAC and it gives the options to either point to MAC or windows or both. Here is where I was able to finally tell Windows to notice the epson printer and from there after fighting with Fast Films I was finally able to get all sorted out. Here is the oddest thing tho, every time I either re-log in windows, or un plug and replug in the epson printer it creates a duplicate, I was up to 9 duplicate printers. WTF? I dont know what that is all about but I just have to keep the dups in line and hopefully everything stays running smooth.

Now come on guys quit arguing over one stupid button on a damn mouse lol. Like I said i swapped out the mac mouse for a wireless multi button and I am good to go. Plus there is no settings to change it automatically operates with the right mouse context menus.\

My next struggle now is to get the key board to work in Corel the way i am used to. For instance on a windows machine the delete key deletes, in VM it does not. There is other odd things i will work on.

Hey guess whats cool ever see windows boot up in ten seconds? well thats the timing for windows in VMware freaking awesome lol.
"No man is an island"