Author Topic: Simple 1 color halftone adjustment (how to) with custom drawn art.  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
I played with some texture on this. It looks to be a mix between a X-Ray of the cow and some chalk art.
I will post the pic of the print later if I get one. It was worked and tweaked so that dot gain was not a major factor on this one color. People tend to print them way too heavy and they only wanted one color. So, with halftones, you make some major adjustments on areas you can foresee as trouble. I do at least  three stages to get a good halftone.

1, I flatten the art, copy and paste into channels and then make one a copy, Of that copy, I adjust the shadow end back to as much as 65-50%.

2 Next, I copy that original again and adjust curves burning out the highlights to a good 35-50% area and fill onto the original 65-50% cut back version.

3, Then take a copy of that last one and burn it out again. leaving only the brightest of the brights. Now, I do go back to the shadow area and adjust that to become more solid with the levels. I drag only up to the point where it needs to begin to be solid.

Once printed, this makes for a good (one color) toned print.

This was the original sketch. The sketch took about 30 min to work out and was sort of a quick thing. Total custom job cost was $65.00  and people think I'm too expensive. :)  really, some art styles lend themselves to being able to be completed faster. This had no need for "defined, clean outlines" or correct anatomy. So, it came out faster.

http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,5240.0.html
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:11:07 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Simple 1 color halftone adjustment (how to) with custom drawn art.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »
Thats very well done Dan. Fun to see it from sketch to final. And yes you should raise your prices!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 01:55:05 PM »
how are they going to print that as one color? We would need two hits of white to get good clean text and that in our book is two colors (even if they use one screen).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 02:22:25 PM »
I'm not quite following, but I'll keep checking it out. Did you get the email I sent last night about the calculations?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 02:50:09 PM »
how are they going to print that as one color? We would need two hits of white to get good clean text and that in our book is two colors (even if they use one screen).

pierre

Discharge...... ;)
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 03:24:06 PM »

pierre

You just keep reading these forums youngster and you will pick up some good tips on how to do things. ")
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850