Author Topic: Can you use WB ink on a AA TriBlend?  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
Can you use WB ink on a AA TriBlend?
« on: June 10, 2011, 04:24:13 PM »
Can you use WB ink on a AA TriBlend?  (50% Polyester / 25% Cotton / 25% Rayon) .
Customer looking for a super soft print.

(Yesterday I had another customer specify the most bullet proof print possible.)
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Can you use WB ink on a AA TriBlend?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 05:18:36 PM »
Hmmm, that is interesting and I look forward to seeing the answer to this question.  Something tells me that the print will look way better on a regular 100% cotton AA but it is probably doable on the tri-blend.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 08:54:53 PM »
Yes, but if you want a soft print, don't do it on darks. Discharge won't fly (unless they want that "sold at a flea market" look) and to print opaque inks you need to put down a layer of undercoat binder then an underbase on top of that.

Under Coat Binder 301 - Carbon base dye blocker that is printed as an under base to prevent dye sublimation. A great product for athletic wear, 100% polyester and poly-tri-blends.

http://www.matsui-color.com/water_based.php

On white/light shirts the trans 301 inks will work great.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 09:25:38 PM »
Those things fibrillate like no tomorrow. Evo is dead on on the binder and then the base. I hat those Fkn things sometimes.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 09:43:42 PM »
Those things fibrillate like no tomorrow. Evo is dead on on the binder and then the base. I hat those Fkn things sometimes.

So is it called an underbase underbase? Or is it underunderbase?

:o
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline squeegee

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 09:52:45 PM »
I'd say it's called use plastisol and call it a day, use fine mesh and do the best you can.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 01:45:05 PM »
I print blends and especially tri-blends all day with soft hand plastisol on darks through middlin mesh counts.  Sell the idea of letting the striations of the fabric show through for  a "vintage" look.

Honestly, I doubt we could print any softer on these with wb, maybe with super pigmented discharge after laundering, but with the softee inks it's one hit crap. No double underbase to deal with.

Getting a soft hand and super opaque ink film is a juxtaposition with these garments, they're just too rough on the surface and you can't discharge the poly completely.