Author Topic: Shur-loc EZ Frame Conversion for Static Alums?  (Read 13214 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: Shur-loc EZ Frame Conversion for Static Alums?
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2011, 05:32:44 PM »
Keep in mind though, when you double the tension on your fabrics, your off contact is going to be much less than it would on your standard frames. In general, your off contact on an EZ frame would be around 1/16" and your pressure will need to be lightened as well. If you run the same off contact and pressure, you will snap fabric panels constantly.

Why are these panels so fragile? My static aluminums are at 20 to 25 N and they have never popped on the press even when I screwed up and had the off contact at about half an inch (don't ask) What are the panels stretched to 40-50???

Offline shurloc

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2011, 06:46:51 PM »
@Screened Gear  Some of the fabric panels are running 40-50 N, with others are running 25-30 N but are a very light thread diameter. Murakami has their new S series mesh that is pushing a larger opening and lower tensions by using much lighter threads. Usually a 160/64 is a standard thread, but the S mesh is a 150/48. Much larger opening, much thinner threads, much easier to break. A little care and proper handling the panels hold tensions for a very long time and will have little to no wear...
Online at: www.shurloc.com - Like Us On Facebook: shurloc.com/Facebook - How To Videos: shurloc.com/YouTube - Follow Us For Updates: shurloc.com/Twitter

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2011, 07:20:03 PM »
@Screened Gear  Some of the fabric panels are running 40-50 N, with others are running 25-30 N but are a very light thread diameter. Murakami has their new S series mesh that is pushing a larger opening and lower tensions by using much lighter threads. Usually a 160/64 is a standard thread, but the S mesh is a 150/48. Much larger opening, much thinner threads, much easier to break. A little care and proper handling the panels hold tensions for a very long time and will have little to no wear...

I guess that makes sense. I will have to get a few and try them out. I have to wait for a few more of my static mesh to come loose so I have the frames to do it. (The last static frames I have been getting weigh a lot less than the old blue ones. Have you had any problems with these as far as strength for this option. I imagine the "L" brackets give the frame enough strength.)

Offline shurloc

« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2011, 07:12:12 PM »
The biggest issue we've seen is the corner strength. Cracked, old corners won't hold the tension, but you can usually see that BEFORE you convert them. If the frame is solid and has no cracks, the angles should stiffen it up enough to hold the higher tensions.
Online at: www.shurloc.com - Like Us On Facebook: shurloc.com/Facebook - How To Videos: shurloc.com/YouTube - Follow Us For Updates: shurloc.com/Twitter

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2011, 09:31:11 PM »
For those of you who have taken the plunge..... how are these puppies working out?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2011, 11:37:12 PM »
I'm embarrased to say, but I still haven't done that conversion.  I don't want to make any promises but if get even 15 minutes of spare time tomorrow, I will get this done.  I only have one 305 EZ panel so it won't get used much but I'll at least be able to give you guys the low down on the tension level and opinion of the process.  Hell, I've sat on this kit long enough, I'm going to get to work early and take care of this first thing in the morning. 

I hope they work as advertised, I've got 25 statics I'd love to convert and put some S thread and newman roller mesh on.  We have spent this year with a skeleton crew of screens and I'm getting tired of it.  Our entire inventory (except a few high mesh) is getting turned over almost weekly and some of our better screens are going through the round more than once a week.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2011, 11:11:24 AM »
For those of you who have taken the plunge..... how are these puppies working out?

We did the initial 6 frames, and will do more, just haven't got to it yet. Very tight, nice prints as is to be expected. The extra height of the frames have caused a tight fit on our MHM, but tight is better than not fitting at all.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2011, 01:46:19 PM »

We did the initial 6 frames, and will do more, just haven't got to it yet. Very tight, nice prints as is to be expected. The extra height of the frames have caused a tight fit on our MHM, but tight is better than not fitting at all.

Steve

I got it done this morning, and it works fine but I don't like the added height of the frames because it doesn't work on our new regi system's FPU.  The 305 was at 29 newtons when I first stretched it and figure it will settle in at 25 or so.  The screens are too tall and I had to rig the shurloc ez frame stretcher to work with the added height but it's not a deal breaker for this kit, but it's something I'm putting into the equation.  I'm not completely convinced that this is something we are going to do with our old statics, but I'm leaning towards doing it.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline shurloc

« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2011, 07:10:39 PM »
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to stop in and see about the height issues that everyone is having - especially the MHM users. We know that the angle kit adds about 3/8" to the frame from the mesh to the bottom, but is this creating issues on presses (besides the few that have tight clamps like the Antec Legend and Anatol Stratus)?

If so, we would love to hear from you about the problems and potential fixes for the issue. We want to have the best products on the market and your feedback would help a ton on this one.

Thanks! PM me with additional info!