Author Topic: Ink cost forecast for 2013?  (Read 1322 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Ink cost forecast for 2013?
« on: February 12, 2013, 01:06:24 PM »
I hear we're in for another price lift this year but no real idea on when/how much.  Anyone have some info? 

*I ask b/c I am signing a 3yr exclusive contract this week.  Of course, I am allowed to adjust prices yearly (nothing ever gets cheaper) but we are capping that allowance at a %, currently 3% but I don't want to screw myself. 

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Ink cost forecast for 2013?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 01:11:14 PM »
Hate to beat it to death but most DC bases and whites are around $25.00 p/ gal. We probably DC base around 80% of our merch. Adds up boys and girls.

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 01:13:42 PM »
last time there was a price increase i told the owner and he had me buy 600 gallons of ink. 

i hope the price increase is just a rumor

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 01:23:07 PM »
Oh I am right there with you Tony.  Ran so much wb/dc last season that I didn't even get excited about our new quartz flash.  Definitely going to switch over to DC UB + WFX Epic top colors as "standard" and then try to straight DC everything I can.

Bulk purchasing is not a bad idea but I see so much rapid change right now with ink lines that I'd hate to be sitting on gallons of product when there's an improved version available. 

This is tough b/c, I've noticed that when this happens, it seems to happen big.  Not like a little a time, more like bam! yer ink costs 20% more. 

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 01:36:55 PM »
Still have the homogenizer here from my first tour of duty. Back then I could make WB (not DC) for........................................$3.00 a gallon. Guess I should look into that again.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 03:51:26 PM »
I hear ya' Chris. I push discharge and water base all the time for the fact is makes jobs go faster and it is cheaper in the long run. And a better print in my opinion. I do like your suggestion of signing a contract in regards to ink. Food for thought. With all the vendors beating down our doors trying to get the new ink of the week in here it gets borderline dumb. At least twice a week someone shows up without a call or email pushing something. Serious. Without fail.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 07:54:02 AM »
Curious to know how many of you upcharge for discharge.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 11:33:12 AM »
I don't but it is $25 per color to mix, one time charge.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 12:15:35 PM »
Typically no upcharge unless it's something we wouldn't use it on, or if we have to switch because of dumb garments included in the
job, etc. We're like %97 retail though, I'd imagine if we did more contract we would charge for it. Certain common contract jobs that come in
like white on black Gildan 2000's it's a no brainer. Costs us less, costs them less.