Author Topic: WOW printing issues over a DC base  (Read 2585 times)

Offline Parker 1

WOW printing issues over a DC base
« on: February 28, 2013, 06:54:38 PM »
I am fighting ink build-up on the back of screens printing WOW over DC base.

1. CCI DC 60/40 Base to White

4. colors printing WOW.

Screens: all 230 @ 35N

Squeegee: 60/90/60

Pressure: Medium to Heavy (had issues with ink clearing)

Offline Rob Coleman

Re: WOW printing issues over a DC base
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 07:01:37 PM »
What inks are you overprinting?
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 07:11:48 PM »
Bump your base up in the ratio, more like 80/20 base/white. Sometimes even straight base is fine.

60 duro on the UB is fine, I'd go 70 on most top colors. (assuming plastisol overprint)

What is building up, the base or the successive colors?

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 07:12:07 PM »
Curious as to why you have so much white in the base. We run straight base. No issues with build up. It might be the amount of white you have in the base picking up.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 07:16:51 PM »
assuming DC base with palstisol overprint, you may want to flash the DC base...we do and it really helps....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 07:48:58 PM »
It is not the DC underbase that is building up. 

Its the Plast.  top colors.  I am thinking its the brand ink.  But I do not want to say what brand until I make some changes to see. 

I will try the 70 duro as well. 

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 08:23:31 PM »
assuming DC base with palstisol overprint, you may want to flash the DC base...we do and it really helps....

Ditto.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Admiral

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 02:37:20 AM »
ebscreen hit it, too much white in the base mixture and use a higher duro squeegee for top colors

the plastisol should be clearing easier than normal since the shirt is a bit saturated and the ink doesn't have as much trouble getting in the crevices

fyi CCI white ink cannot be printed wet on wet, sticks to the screens, not that you were printing straight white

then the plastisol layer you were putting down was probably just a bit too much with that lower duro squeegee

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 07:27:31 AM »
Tested the CCI at different ratios at the first of the year and a 50/50 and 60 base  to 40 white gave us the best results on the more difficult colors to DC. (Reds, Royal & Purple) I will revisit this. 

I do flash the under base 3.0-3.5 sec. and will decrease to 1.5-2.0 as everything heats up.  This is the same times I use for my Plasticol base as well. 

After speaking with Pierre last night, I think it is my top inks that are giving me the trouble with build-up.  I will change out the inks today. 

Thanks to everyone for the quick responce,  will update following the changes.   

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 10:01:07 AM »
I will say that in my experience with wow printing, it sounds like you're doing most everything right, high mesh and tight screens for your wow colors is the main thing and you've done that correctly.  But there have been many times where I've done everything right but the inks themselves are the issue.  The three causes of buildup are excessive force (buildup around the edges of the print), phase separation due to absorption (the garment type affects this greatly and is identified by buildup in the middle of the screen) and if your buildup is even across the print area then it's most likely the ink.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 10:11:25 AM »
my thinking is something is not right with the ink. If he is having a hard time clearing through the 230 (and ahving the tight screens he has) it should be the ink.

also, a different brand of ink was working fine before switching to this. I am sure that each ink has it's own preferred settings so it might take time to dial it in, but one should be able to push a WOW ink through a 230 with one fast and light stroke.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 01:27:05 PM »
Update

Switched to Wilflex EPIC for my Plastisol top colors.  Fixed it blew through 300 remaining prints with no build-up no stoppage other than carding ink when needed.  The only variable that was changed was the ink, no changes where made to pressures, DC_Base, or screens. 

A HUGE THANK YOU to everyone for the help.

Chris

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 01:32:15 PM »
Good to hear Chris. Epic and Rutland are my plastisols of choice.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 06:17:36 PM »
do you mind sharing what ink you were using that "failed"?
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 07:36:55 PM »
do you mind sharing what ink you were using that "failed"?

I will PM you. 

I do not like to disclose any info on an open forum that may hurt a company or organization.  If it is positive I will drop names in the open, such as Wilflex's Epic line of inks.  They worked and we ended up printing roughly 1,000 pcs today with zero build-up issues.  One job was 6 spot colors all printed WOW on CCI DC 50/50 Base on Royal Ts.