Author Topic: Rush Job  (Read 3258 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: Rush Job
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 03:24:10 PM »
Mine are kinda brutal but meant to deter.  If a major client needed 1k pcs in 2 days I would never charge them an additional 50% (I'd get something but not that much) but it covers those clients needing 24 pcs with a 1co imprint for a total of $162 or something.  In that case, yes, I want $80 to work that out in 2days.

We also just straight up waive anything up to 5 days if we have room in the sched.

It's hard to make rates like this work across all jobs. 

Priority 7 Day - $50 flat rate

Priority 5 Day - $75 flat rate

Express 3 Day - 25% of total plus actual inbound garment shipping costs

Express 2 Day - 50% of total plus actual inbound garment shipping costs

Express Overnight - ask for quote

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 04:52:58 PM »
7 days is a rush order?....

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 06:13:57 PM »
7 days is a rush order?....

Haha.  No it's a "priority" job in the lingo I came up with.   ;)

We are 3-5 day ship just for garments and can get backed up in the shop to 3-5 days on production in the high season so that puts are std turn at around 8-10 business days.  One of our main suppliers mis-ships or ships defects on every single order as well so that often adds a day or two when they have to overnight replacements.  It's easy for us to hit 8-10 days but getting down to 7 or below requires vigilance on checking in our orders asap in the morning to catch the errors in time to make that turnaround.

I don't think I've ever charged the 7 day though, we can almost always accomodate it without too much ag. I do usually charge it if it needs to be 100% guaranteed on that date/time.  With the auto this year I imagine 7 days will no longer be "priority" type of order and we can drop these charges overall but again, they are primarily deterrents and setup to cover small orders too.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 06:31:28 PM »
3 to 5 days to get shirts? Wow that would make things hard. I can have shirts in 2 hours here at the shop if I really had to. I couldn't do 3 to 5 days. You must keep inventory and/or buy about 2 extra of every color and size. I bet you have a ton of ways you have figured out to fix shirts from mess ups you could share with us.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 06:45:34 PM »
Somehow I get the feeling that where Chris is people are a little more accustomed to waiting a bit longer than most...

We're at 10 days standard as well.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 06:53:28 PM »
3 to 5 days to get shirts? Wow that would make things hard. I can have shirts in 2 hours here at the shop if I really had to. I couldn't do 3 to 5 days. You must keep inventory and/or buy about 2 extra of every color and size. I bet you have a ton of ways you have figured out to fix shirts from mess ups you could share with us.

It's hell sometimes.  We do have to order extras constantly and it's very hard to reflect that into our pricing/ordering rules.  "Why can't I get the exact size run I ordered of all 12 of these different garments in 6 days?"  It's hard for our consumers to understand so we just try and roll the cost of dealing w. it into the pricing.  My lastest brainstorm is to require at least 3 of any size on an order but that's not going to go over well.  Some suppliers, like AA, we must double check every single invoice against our actual order when they email it upon shipping to catch short shipments before we open the box and find all our smalls are missing or the wrong color and we need to be on press by tomorrow. 

Keeping inventory is just about impossible with the array of garments we offer, just the extras that we over order take up enough space as it is. 

This is partly why I'll always be higher on a rolled in garment price than most, getting the garments for an order ready for press is more work/cost sometimes than the printing!

I actually ran without a spot gun for years- care in what you are doing is the first step but since having employees there is shirt attrition and a faster pace and we have a gun loaded with SPIFF II, the hippy version of the spot cleaner, now.  It gets most things out but is prob very weak compared to the nasty stuff.

But here's one technique-  we had (need to replace it since it broke) a household device called the "clothes shaver" that was designed to shave off fuzzies from yer clothes.  If you get a light amount of ink on top of the shirt fibers, like from pulling to quick with too much tack and the shirt snaps back on the print, you can cure it and shave it off.  Can also work for light scorching.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 08:02:09 PM »
Hey Zoo thanks for the clothes shaver idea. I know when we are under crazy deadlines and forced to run our autos as fast as we can, we get the occasional snap transfer of ink. I can see this being a handy tool for those times and where applicable. Is there any online you know of that you would suggest?

Thanks much
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 10:49:22 PM »
No suggestions for one, I think ours was the "clothes shave" or some pun like that, just a home use thing with batteries. 

Seems to be a few on Amazon.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 09:26:23 AM »
Speaking of the zim gun, my supplier is always asking me who I'm buying my zim fluid from and I have to tell him that it's still him, we just don't use it often.  He says most of his shops buy a couple gallons at a time and buy fairly often, when a gallon will last us 6 months on a good stretch.  Seems like we use it more to get out dirt and grease stains than ink.  I like the shaver idea, that won't cost much at all.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 01:55:10 PM »
Good job, well done. My attitude is that if you can make it happen, then do it. 800 pieces isn't even 2 hours run time on a decent auto. Of course you can't disrupt everything, but like I said, if you can, you can.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 02:04:23 PM »
Try being on St Thomas USVI. The ship only comes in twice a week. Then everything has to go through customs where with a little "green persuasion" you could get it cleared the same day (depending on who was working that day) We could charge whatever we wanted for rushes.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 02:14:02 PM »
That clothes shaver is a pretty neat idea--when I throw a string of ink on a garment (or on myself,) I flash cure it and peel it off--as long as you don't rub it in, it almost always works.

Even the 'hippie' formulations of that crap are nasty as hell...

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 04:05:34 PM »
The Spot gun solutions are not that bad. They do taste a little funny but after a few drinks you don't even notice. 

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 04:31:51 PM »
Even the 'hippie' formulations of that crap are nasty as hell...

I know, the stuff is gross. I looked up the chem and it's basically non-flammable ligher fluid....?

Jon it tastes a little better on the rocks with a splash of rose's lime.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 04:49:15 PM »
non-flammable lighter fluid....?

[/quote]