Author Topic: Silicone Ink from Source One  (Read 21188 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Silicone Ink from Source One
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2013, 05:25:16 PM »
Thanks Sam looking forward to more pics.

Alan- you really want to keep the dryer temp down on the 280 range. 300 seems to be a go/no go point for many fabrics regarding due sublimation points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Will do when we run it for a production job but I couldn't mess with the dryer settings because the guys were in the middle of a run on the auto so I couldn't contain myself any longer and had a window of opportunity to test it out.  I was in no way trying to test it unfairly or anything I just wanted to see how it printed mainly and not directly test it's bleed resistance.  I will test the ink with the donut probe and wash tests when I get a chance to really see what it will do.  The conditions I submitted the ink to were as extreme as it gets, red 100% poly under armor type material and plastisol setting on the dryer, 330 at 20 seconds inside the 12' heat chamber.  It still did better than any cotton white plastisol ink I've tested.

I appreciate the timely manner I got the sample, and I look forward to testing it out on a full size print on Monday or Tuesday.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2013, 10:46:35 AM »
After looking at the sample silicone ink on my desk for over a month finally had time to use it do a job. The results were IMO amazing. We did 30 green mesh Badger reversibles, white imprint of a font aprox 10"x10", 150 mesh on the manual, one firm flood and two light push strokes with the squeegee. Printed easy, ended up with a nice smooth opaque print that filled a the nooks and crannys in the fabric with little effort. Unfortunately they shipped out before I could get some pictures. While the screen was up I also printed on some other samples we had lying around. One of which was my arch enemy, a red stretchy Badger shirt. Even their logo on the sleeve was pink from dye migration but the silicone held up with no problems coming out of the dryer at 305. I did a second one, over flashed it and ran it through the dryer coming out at 340 and again no problems. Both have been washed several times and have no visible problems.

I personally see this stuff as a total winner printing on pia fabrics. Looking forward to the colored inks coming out soon.

Offline trebor

« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2013, 11:41:20 AM »
With this being a catalized product, what are you doing about unused ink? Are you just chalking it up to waste?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2013, 11:45:25 AM »
With this being a catalized product, what are you doing about unused ink? Are you just chalking it up to waste?

yup! expensive waste it is too. $130- $190 per gallon, it adds up. We are charging $0.50 extra per print with 48 pc min to cover the ink cost. At the end of the day, there is no other product like it so ppl pay. We have three new customers as a consequence of being able to do this.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2013, 11:55:45 AM »
Same as Pierre. I treat it no diffrent then our discharge and mix carefully.

We had three regular customers stop by yesterday and noticed the samples lying on the reception desk and were floored by the print. Not only the hand but how white it was especially on the red Badger. All wanted it for their next jobs all willing to pay extra for it.

We have a soccer club we do a lot of work for all poly inks, three color. They saw it this morning and want all their stuff done with it, again willing to pay extra for it.  Now we have to wait for the color pallet and actual firm pricing so we can quote it.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
Yep. Unfortunately with my niche usually being individual teams, or similar small orders, the upcharge is even higher because I use an even higher proportion of total mix to piece.

It is what it is.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2013, 12:48:25 PM »
okay...I want to try. Do I order the sample at sourceoneonline?
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2013, 12:56:15 PM »
Track down Rob Coleman. He is a member here.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2013, 01:08:47 PM »
Thanks, Frog.

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2013, 01:25:16 PM »
Thanks, Frog.

The best way to move forward is to send an email with your full contact info to Rob Coleman at rcoleman@nazdar.com Rob's really good at getting back to people and he wil get you taken care of.
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2013, 04:26:19 PM »
Can I use the silicone ink as an underbase and print regular plastisol over it? Will the cure temps be too far off?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2013, 04:28:52 PM »
Can I use the silicone ink as an underbase and print regular plastisol over it? Will the cure temps be too far off?

that will not work. nothing sticks to the silicone, plastisol will just peel right off. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2013, 05:00:40 PM »
I am glad to know that now... Can you pfp silicon on top of itself or is it strictly 1 hit or wow?
Thanks,
matt

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2013, 05:56:02 PM »
Yes, you can print / flash / print with silicone. Or use cap film for a thicker deposit.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2013, 09:52:31 PM »
i tried to print some manually today and I was disappointed in the results.  I am sure i could have gotten better results on the auto, but it was el-occupado at the time.

I ended up PFP with smart white because i didn't have time to pfp the silicone ink.