Author Topic: IR Dryer misconception  (Read 7337 times)

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
Re: IR Dryer misconception
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 11:59:33 PM »
14 Hix oven with 9' IR here, 24" belt, no forced air in it, but good ventilation. We run DC just fine in one pass through the dryer with about a 2 minute dwell in the heat @ 310 - 325F. Throughput is a function of print size, our pullers get really good at folding shirts to printed image area. Small prints we run up to 45-55 doz/hour without too much trouble. big prints it's much slower. A gasser will be our next significant purchase.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 11:02:35 AM »
I should revise my previous post. Yes, you can do it and there are some nice, larger electric dryers out there. And I have done it myself with very small runs on small electric dryers as well. I was just seeing the small dryer in the picture and thinking of large orders and going no way. And even with small dryers and small orders it is just a time killer. Just my opinion

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 11:31:01 AM »
I love for Mark to join this discussion, feel kind of bad now for posting it, cuz he can't defend there product, but I see this way we all know what works for us in our shops more than someone who just builds a product and tell you what it suppose to be able to do.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 02:06:24 PM »
I love for Mark to join this discussion, feel kind of bad now for posting it, cuz he can't defend there product, but I see this way we all know what works for us in our shops more than someone who just builds a product and tell you what it suppose to be able to do.

Darryl

I dont think any defense is needed everyone here is agreeing there is proof of concept but in production its not practical. I have an 54" vastex and tried discharge just like Brian said it took several passes through the drier at the slowest belt speed. Thats ridiculous to consider for a production run.

As the Myth Busters would say "Plausible"
"No man is an island"

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 06:01:17 PM »
Yeah, I don't think anyone is trying criticize any product out there. I for sure don't know how to build a dryer, gas or electric! I am just saying some electric dryers are just not meant for heavy production of some types of ink. Not all ink, just some.

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 07:30:01 AM »
Yeah, I don't think anyone is trying criticize any product out there. I for sure don't know how to build a dryer, gas or electric! I am just saying some electric dryers are just not meant for heavy production of some types of ink. Not all ink, just some.

I agree, and I don’t think that anyone is being critical of Mark or the quality and performance of any of the VASTEX equipment.  The question is simply; “Can you cure discharge and other water-base screen-printing inks in a smaller infra-red dryer?” and the answer is yes. 

The bigger question is; “Can you use this equipment to effectively cure these inks in a volume production environment?” and the answer is going to be that they would be better off with a gas forced air dryer.   

BTW, I think that VASTEX makes good equipment, and I continue to be impressed with the level of customer service and support that Mark and his team provide.
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 08:01:30 AM »
Just to clarify it can be done. I have a bunch of Vastex equipment and its all great stuff. But in a production world considering most of our jobs are 72 pieces or more its just not practical. I can get about 40-50 per hour through the dryer, a 72 piece job your looking at 90 min to complete at that rate I'm loosing money.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 08:36:19 AM »
Did it on my fusion, and it works but its slow.  Sold that sucker and got a new sprint 2000 and its far superior.  But both work.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 12:30:12 PM »
Ok I'm back on this again, in the near future here I'm going to get another dryer mainly for production speed, gas won't happen no room for it.  I would love to do more discharge, but at a good production rate, and you guys answered a lot of questions, I just really never like the vastex dryers though they are great for tight spaces and would be great with manual printing.  So if I'm looking for a dryer in the 10 foot range to go with a smaller auto what would be a good choice? and I might like to run smaller discharge orders.

Darryl

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 01:29:24 PM »
Have you looked at the Mini Sprint? I think is only about 14' (8' heat 3' in and out) with a 38" belt. Or the Heat Wave which is smaller.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 01:46:34 PM »
If you ain't got the room for length, go as wide as you can. That way if running slow,
at least you can run 'em side by side.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 02:05:35 PM »
Yep, Mini Sprint is a pretty serious piece of gear for the footprint.  I think it comes in at least two different belt widths.

I run an IR that only has six feet of heat, and there's no way I'd do WB production.  Even plastisol discharge systems I could only do 80-120 pieces an hour or so.  I can't imagine you could get even ten or twelve feet of IR chamber that would do better than that Mini...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 02:21:24 PM »
Ebscreen, wide is what I going for, I guess if I toss out my manual press I could go length, but I still kinda like having it, using it right now for that matter.

Darryl

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 02:24:52 PM »
Our manual sits in the corner like a shamed child. I think we used it once last year.
Should probably get rid of it but can't bring myself to do it....

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 02:42:25 PM »
Darryl, check out a mini sprint.  They are really compact and I see them on the used market frequently.  Bigger is always better with DC/WB and dryers but you would be able to run DC on your auto at a decent clip I think.