Author Topic: NSA parody shirt...and the gov't isn't amused  (Read 4014 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
NSA parody shirt...and the gov't isn't amused
« on: November 04, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/11/01/sauk-rapids-graphic-artist-challenges-national-security-agency/

If it's a parody, how can they issue a cease and desist?  I am glad he is suing though.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: NSA parody shirt...and the gov't isn't amused
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 02:18:49 PM »
As I understand it you can't use or alter the seal.  I agree it is parody, but this may fall within some specific prohibition because of the seal. 

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 02:23:54 PM »
but they are a government agency, thus it's owned by the people...unless you are trying to impersonate an agent, which I could see that argument.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 03:35:59 PM »
you would think its owned by the people....Like when the gov't shut down...national parks and monuments were closed..they are owned by the people, correct? why could we not go in?

the people do not own anything. Even look at your house..you bought it..you do not pay your taxes, even after you own it, well its not yours anymore.

Up in the adirondacks here, people have been in there homes for years, payed off there homes. Well they are lakefront, the towns raise the taxes, people can not afford to stay there, have to sell, peoplpe from nyc and what not that have money buy them up.

I know it was off topic, but wanted to show you do not own anything.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 05:30:28 PM »
Not to say the government is right Rob... but how does one truly go about OWNING land?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 05:52:55 PM »
To add to the off subject, Christopher Columbus is known for the discovery of America right? well how can he discover what is not lost, I'm sure the Indian's saw them coming, I kinda think the Indians knew where they were, old Chris there me think was lost.  I laugh about this all the  time, how do you find what is not lost just cause you didn't know it was there yourself.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 07:15:22 PM »
Columbus is just the guy in the older history books, America was visited from over the ocean many times before Columbus. But yeah, the First Nations were already here.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 07:28:48 PM »
land has switched hands in peaceful and non-peaceful means since the beginning of man...and it will continue until the end of time. 

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 11:13:36 AM »

Govt seals, symbols and logos are copyrighted just like corporate ones.

Still, that's a great shirt and I think it would fall under the "parody" limitation... but in the end it's the lawyers who win.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 11:21:43 AM »
So we have three different prints we run for two different customers that say F.B.I. and then a different definition under it. Would this fall under the same deal?
The whole think is a joke(literally) is it really worth the time and $$$ for the government to pursue this?  Plus, if the NSA was on top of it's spying job shouldn't they of caught this when the artwork was emailed over, before they went to press? ;) ;D
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 11:27:07 AM »
In DC airports they were selling FBI shirts in the gift shops; they may have stopped this but it was apparently legal as block letters cannot be copyrighted or trademarked.
Remember the Fleur de Lis fiasco in N.O.? The printers took it to the media and NFL had to back down. Sometimes the little guy wins.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 12:19:07 PM »
In DC airports they were selling FBI shirts in the gift shops; they may have stopped this but it was apparently legal as block letters cannot be copyrighted or trademarked.
Remember the Fleur de Lis fiasco in N.O.? The printers took it to the media and NFL had to back down. Sometimes the little guy wins.

Which brings me to this guy.

Can they REALLY TM that?  I know with the UL logo they can or when it has the fire behind it as it usually does... but just the plain FDL with some color accents?

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 12:27:01 PM »

Which brings me to this guy.

Can they REALLY TM that?  I know with the UL logo they can or when it has the fire behind it as it usually does... but just the plain FDL with some color accents?

Yes, they can TM that. They're not claiming rights to all fleurs, just that one. It has characteristics that make it unique.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 12:30:51 PM »
Do the colors matter?

If done with subtracting or changing colors would that change anything?

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 12:36:13 PM »
Do the colors matter?

If done with subtracting or changing colors would that change anything?

Sports teams have specific PMS colors, so yes, they matter, but if a judge determines a copy as derivative, then no, it doesn't. In other words, it may look like any other fleur, but the proportion, shapes of the highlight/shadow areas, and overall outline are in fact unique to this trademark. A sufficient combination of those elements could lead a copyright tribunal to judge in the holder's favor even if the colors are changed.