Author Topic: crazy hobbies . .  (Read 7835 times)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
Re: crazy hobbies . .
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 03:34:27 AM »

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 03:38:08 AM »
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 08:30:05 AM by blue moon »
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 06:28:32 AM »
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 11:57:59 AM »
I don't have any crazy hobbies, or pictures of me doing crazy things.  I rode dirt bikes for 15 plus years and shredded my knee the last time I rode one.  It's been over 3 years and I still have major knee issues.  Right now I play softball one night a week and when the baby gets older, I'll get back into playing tournament ball and traveling all over the state, assuming I still have the talent by then.  I also play golf every other Sunday.  I take my golf very seriously, I don't get to play much but when I do play, I expect to play well.  I am a 4-5 handicap right now and I got down to a 2 when I was playing 3-4 times a month.  I have shot under par on several occasions but I'm typically in the high 70's, low 80's on most courses I play.

I'd love to skydive, and I love riding anything with a motor.  I've been over 150mph in a car and around 170mph on a motorcycle, in my younger days.  I love watching extreme sports but I know that I'm too old and basically somewhat disabled due to my knee problems to try most of them. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline squeegee

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 12:24:38 PM »
Besides my wife and 2 kids, these are mine, DH mountain bikes and dirt bikes, I raced DH bikes for a few years, then gave that up for the dirt bike.  I haven't raced dirt bikes yet, but am not planning on it with the kids around, last year I tore the PCL in my left knee, and that was enough to convince me to keep everything mellow.  My wife is not found of the dirt bike, but I can't wait to get my son out on a 50cc in a couple years.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »

Must be a tough crowd you play for . . .
Eh. I'm my own worst enemy on stage.

Toughest crowd is the one that doesn't show up.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

Offline Catnhat

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 12:56:23 PM »
I was a "sound guy" for the local music scene for years.  Promoter/manager/etc.
In the last few years I've stopped all that, now I just record bands.
Have a modest little home studio setup.  And have ties to a full commercial studio in Las Vegas that I designed & helped build.

Here's the studio in Vegas
www.camelhumpmusic.com

And the current group I'm working with
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofU7eb9cIGg&feature=related[/youtube]

Hey Evo
Remember this show?
Was working on the main stage crew so I missed your set.  (but I won't tell anybody you didn't play the main stage ;D)
Wow! that was a looong time ago!

Offline yorkie

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 01:27:21 PM »
One of my more crazy hobbies is trying to unlock the riddle of DNA. I've got genome databases on my computer and have written some programs to parse the data and look for pattern.

The attached image is a segment of DNA, where the 4 different base pairs are different color beads and it is woven on 3 different colors of string which represent the triplet code (codons) of DNA.

So far, i haven't a clue to the answer. That's what makes it so interesting and challenging! That answer is right in front of my face and everyone else's, but so far nobody has figured it out. Like the Rosetta stone, once somebody sees it, the world will change forever.  

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:29:43 PM by yorkie »

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 01:29:44 PM »
wait! the answer is 42! you should know that . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2011, 03:07:41 PM »

Hey Evo
Remember this show?
Was working on the main stage crew so I missed your set.  (but I won't tell anybody you didn't play the main stage ;D)
Wow! that was a looong time ago!

Coldest set ever. I think it was maybe 39 degrees under the lights on stage by the time we went on. By the middle of the set I warmed up to the point where I could finally feel all my fingers and toes.

Good times.

Offline shellyky

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 01:43:03 PM »
dont know if theyre considered crazy hobbies so to speak but i did ride quads and i like photography when i have time....heres a couple pics...

Truck i shot for Truckin' Magazine...

Offline MikeVastex

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 04:02:17 PM »
I figured I'd put in my .02 on the hobbies thread.. Although I don't consider them crazy, many people do. So I'll just drop some pictures here.

Sold her not too long ago.. Still miss it

I'm really into VW's. Mostly the 80s and 90s.

This is how I found that car:

But what has really been taking up my time lately:

I bought this house from the bank. Unfortunately, once I started ripping into it, I couldn't stop. The entire house is down to the studs and is getting a complete makeover. I bought the house for about 30% less than it will be worth. Hopefully, in the end, it will be a smart investment.

That's about it!
Vastex International Inc.
Screen Printing Equipment 1-800-482-7839

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2011, 12:46:36 AM »
Ok, not so much crazy, but -

Built this:

It sounds like:

Played this jumble of stuff...

...for the soundtrack and in-game music for this video game:

Recorded with this nice little kit...

...for the sequel of the above video game, including the drums for the fake biker band that starred in later portions of the game...

Took this pic:

Right before this set:

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 07:20:46 AM »
Evo, you guys by any chance like Crowbar? :)