Author Topic: DIY Auto Rotating Flash?  (Read 8420 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
DIY Auto Rotating Flash?
« on: December 05, 2013, 10:54:07 AM »
I want to add a 90 degree auto rotation back and forth to my flash dryer and was wondering if anyone has made their own, or if anyone had any ideas on what components could be used.  I have a foot pedal switch, which would be the easiest I think for turning it on and off, but I am at a loss as to the turning mechanism.

Any ideas?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: DIY Auto Rotating Flash?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 12:22:42 PM »
Every one I have seen has always been woefully underpowered and eventually ends up breaking.
Large mass to swing over a wide area and a small space to fit a motor.

If you have the juice for it, quartz is actually simpler.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 12:32:15 PM »
I know Mimo likes to build things but this is probably in the "not worth it unless you have an incredible amount of spare time and are will to experience early failure" category. That said the Hopkins models were some of the best out there. Optional foot pedal/motion detector, air flow options, time, and dwell time adjustments. I'd snap up a used one any day.

Offline starchild

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 12:38:54 PM »
I guess your search should start with "heavy duty stepper motors"

Posted with Tapatalk

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 12:53:32 PM »
I'm not adverse to failure, as long as it is cheap :D

There was a fully functional hopkins 20x20 auto for sale recently for $100 and the dude simply stopped responding to me as I was trying to nail down when and where to meet to buy it.  Frustrating...

I'll look into the stepper motors.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 01:13:04 PM »
Out of curiosity, if I was going to buy new/used what brand/model would y'all recommend?  Anyone happen to be selling one? :D

Offline starchild

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 01:34:02 PM »
This link is to workhorse build parts list.. So that you have an idea of what you may need.

http://support.workhorseproducts.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_8_30&zenid=2a79e3e4d4507b8986ee65113f6f69eb

Posted with Tapatalk

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 01:44:39 PM »
I had a Hopkins with the forced air. The tiny motor eventually quit. Then the leads to the panel started shorting.
That thing was a death trap. A very very hot death trap.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 04:51:10 PM »
I agree with Tony, I like to build stuff too and I'm a cheap azz, but some things are best bought already built and up to code from a reputable company, hate to see you burn your shop down, not that you will, but if it did happen your insurance company can't wrinkle out they claim.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 05:00:14 PM »
I actually built my own flash using a custom built 18x24 IF panel from intek that works on 120V.  They were really helpful with the build and it works really well.  The panel and components were just over 300, and with sheetmetal and stand it came out to about $400 total for a huge flash with custom electrical requirements.  The auto rotation shouldn't make the flash any more dangerous.  If anything it will prevent danger by keeping the flash from sitting over the platen.  I'm thinking there is probably a pretty easy way to do this, far simpler than the schematics linked above.  I don't need anything fancy, just back and forth or a 90 degree turn.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 05:09:44 PM »
Give Roger Jennings a call..he was working on that a couple years ago..maybe he finished it?

Cant hurt to ask

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 05:14:07 PM »
A DC gear motor with a clevis arm, two limit switches, power supply for the motor preferably adjustable to set the motor speed, tie rod to connect the clevis to the flash, adjustable timing relay, a latching relay and some creative engineering. Or make it chain drive and replace the clevis arm and tie rod with something like Morse #20 or #30 double roller chain and sprockets.

We had two M&R Acomas that worked nice, currently running two Vastex. One with the auto rotate modified so when you rotate the carousel it automatically rotates over the pallet (not using the foot pedal), the other has a long handle on it to swing it over the pallet. 

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 05:24:08 PM »
haha your comment about the long handle got me thinking.  I could probably do something with some kind of line and pull system, and just pull one way or the other when I want to move the flash, and have build it stops for each position.  would probably cost like 10 dollars.  Of course it would probably look insane...:D

I was thinking some kind of reversible gear motor with a chain would be the simplest.  I know some cheap rotisserie motors switch direction with every power cycle and have relatively high torque.  Great ideas so far!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 05:38:52 PM »
Give Roger Jennings a call..he was working on that a couple years ago..maybe he finished it?

Cant hurt to ask

Make the call when you have a lot of free time...
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 07:17:32 AM »
i replaced the bearings in our Acoma a while back - got it back together and i didnt notice that one of the reed switches wasnt set where it should be...  stepped on the pedal and the flash started going around in circles without stopping.