Author Topic: MHM E-Type  (Read 8858 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
MHM E-Type
« on: April 11, 2011, 09:36:13 PM »
This is a question for Pierre and other MHM E-Type Owners.

How do you set up your E-type? What do you do first, second ...

I figured before a get used to how to use this press I should learn how everyone else uses it. It would be really cool to see a video of an e-type being set up to run a job. Or maybe a few small videos of each step. Example how to put in the screen...then putting in the squeegee and flood bar. (I still haven't figure this out without having the air pressure tuned all the way down so the squeegee holder will lift up.) I am sure that everyone does it different. But maybe we could do a best practices on the press so it will benefit everyone

Please do a video or explain each step. Act like I know nothing about the press.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: MHM E-Type
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 09:48:33 PM »
S-Type here, some things are similar, some different, some universal to any machine.

Screens are installed rear pins first. Push back until you clear the front holder, then insert
front pins. Little funky at first.

Squeegees are different than mine, can't help you there.

Line up first screen to pallet centerline (underbase or keyline/darkest) make print,
cover in clear packing tape, repeat with following screens.

Did you get the FPU?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 10:12:20 PM »
ebscreen,

I didn't get the FPU. I am looking for a used one but I will soon just buy one new. Do you insert your screens in the clean position? is there a presure release that I am missing on the press so you can put the screens in? Or does it do that automaticly in the sdjust screen? I have just played with the press for maybe an hour or so so I haven't tryed to figure much of this out yet. I have been way busy.

Thanks,

Jon

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 10:15:03 AM »
bottom right button is the pressure release.

putting the screen in:
release pressure
move the s/f to the front
insert back
insert floodbar
push s/f back
insert front insert squeegee (this can be done when inserting floodbar)

taking out:
release pressure
push on the screen front with both palms to pop the front out
bring s/f forward
if needed, remove the s/f
remove screen

when printing, set angles for your squeeges on 4 and floodbars on 2
white ink on 8 or so.
pressure on 4 bar on all the heads (I do not change this at all)
squeegee height will depend on the squeegee height. there is a 1/8 or a 1/4 inch variance. Two different types of blades. on the stuff from MHM start the white on 0 and back off to 2 when everything is warmed up.
colors are usually around 2.5
floodbar is set so you can just feel it from the bottom of the screen. It should do a little more than push the ink around. I would not push as hard as squeegee, but you will want a hard flood. On my lose screens, floodbar is touching the platten when down (very lightly)
color ink speed at 4 for print and 5 for flood
white ink on 3 for print and 4 for flood

get a winged floodbar for white and make sure it is set to 0 or it will rip the screen.

GET THE FPU!!! or build something like it. They are way overpriced for what it is, but it is worth it's weight in gold for what it does. air to the FPU is not necessary, you can do it by hand.

what kind of flash did you get?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 01:45:17 PM »
Pierre,

Thanks for the info. For some reason on my machine the flood bar will push up so it is easy to put that in. The squeegee is always under pressure. I can't lift up the squeegee cariage it has presure on it. The only way to get the squeegee in is when the screen is out. That can't be right.

Jon

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 01:47:43 PM »
Pierre,

Thanks for the info. For some reason on my machine the flood bar will push up so it is easy to put that in. The squeegee is always under pressure. I can't lift up the squeegee cariage it has presure on it. The only way to get the squeegee in is when the screen is out. That can't be right.

Jon

you are setting it up backwards. Make sure you are in plastisol mode and that the floodbar is closer to the center.
we talked about printing outwards, but I checked with MHM and they said, while you could do it, printing inward is better.

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 04:13:41 PM »
pierre,

I am setting it up right. The squeegee is on the outside and the flood bar in on the inside position (closest to the center of the press). Does the air release button also release the pressure to the squeegee? If so then that answers my question...I will go play with it and see if it does...

Jon

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 06:26:07 PM »
without a screen in try this . . .
push and hold adjust and then push the little lock button. It will switch squeegee floodbar up and down. See if that makes any difference.

My floodbars do not move, but the squeegee can be pushed up. Floodbar thus has to be loaded with the screen out and the squeegee can be added later.

pierre

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 09:49:11 PM »
Side Note:::

Hirsch customer service was way fast today.

I had to order some parts for my Press and I didn't wait at all. The first time I called they answered right away. They had a tech call me. He called in less than 20 mins. I was blown away. Then I called to have them order the parts and I only waited maybe 30 seconds on hold. (Flash Elements for $79 each)

Way to go it makes owning a MHM less scary then people say. (or is it just the other Press manufactures that say the MHM service is bad)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 09:53:21 PM »
did you get the part numbers for the flash bulbs?

'save me the digging for the old invoice . . .

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 02:25:53 AM »
Pierre,

The elements part number is 111633

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 01:48:24 PM »
Are those medium wave carbon emitters or the standard coiled nichrome?

Calmat wants $625 for 1 carbon type delivered.

I can convert it to the standard type for less than that. Ugh.

Good to hear about Hirsch though, maybe the new MHM peoples lit a fire
under 'em.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 02:19:31 PM »
what color are the carbon type? I think my flash is taking too long and all my filaments are steel/chrome color. Are the graphite ones black?

pierre

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 09:41:47 PM »
the ones on my press are chrome. I am not sure how long it takes to flash on a long run but its less than 5 sec just doing tests. There is a setting that when the tables index it turns the flash on and the time starts then. Rodney set that on my press.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 06:16:37 AM »
I have been trying to lay down a real nice white PFP on my e-type. I am using Unions Cotton White on a 160 mesh. I have tried angles from 7 to 10 on the squeegee, air pressure from 1 to 4 bars and flood angle from 8 to 4 (I think) and height or whatever that is called from -1 to 5 on the squeegee and -1 to 5 on the flood. I have to be doing something wrong. I get a nice flat first layer (flashed dry) then a nice second layer. It looks ok but I am used to manually printing and if I was printing it manually I would hit it one more time to make it cover better. I am printing navy shirts. The only thing I can try is another ink, maybe this ink is too soft??? What ink do you guys use?