Author Topic: THEY'RE HERE...S Thread Statics  (Read 22291 times)

Offline ABuffington

Re: THEY'RE HERE...S Thread Statics
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2014, 01:07:06 PM »
There are two schools of thought on tensioning. The first is rapid tension, take it to the desired tension and glue immediately.  The other is to stage the mesh by going to say 12, release completely, immediately go to 19 back to 0 then to 22, back to 0 and then to final tension, allow it to sit a few minutes, capture the 1-2 newtons that are lost and glue it down.  If you have the time you can pre-soften the mesh with a weight or other method.  I have seen great results both ways.  A high volume shop may just take to tension, let it drop 1-2 newtons and bring up to tenion before gluing.  For me staging does help.  Athletes stretch before running and I think S mesh in particular likes the tension to be incremental to get accustomed to the tension.  A lot depends on the stretching device, the better the stretcher, the more it has auto compensating corner softening and the more uniform the capture, the easier it is to take it to tension quickly and still get excellent results.  We offer our stretched frames through our entire dealer network, or you can call the office here and we will work with your dealer to drop ship from here.

Alan Buffington
800.562.3534 ext 118
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2014, 01:10:41 PM »

We offer our stretched frames through our entire dealer network, or you can call the office here and we will work with your dealer to drop ship from here.

Alan Buffington
800.562.3534 ext 118

Do you offer re-stretch, or have recommendations out here on the left coast?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2014, 01:11:34 PM »
My screen guy stages, once the mesh is at the tension he is aiming for he places weights on them for a while. Then he tensions back up to the desired tension and glues. His screens come almost work hardened to us because of the weights he uses but he is a specialty screen place only not open to the general industry for mass orders. But since he has some of our equipment and we have worked together for many years he hooks us up nicely.
"No man is an island"

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2014, 01:17:42 PM »
We restretch here in LA, Westar and Dimensional offer the service out of Washington area, and Kings Mountain Screen Service in North Carolina on the East coast also stretches on our frames or your clean aluminum frames.  River City in Texas, Advanced Screen Technology in Phoenix, Multicraft in Ohio are a few others.  Anyone on our dealer list can sell our pre-stretched and we do offer bulk re-stretching services if you want it done here on our stretcher as well. 

http://murakamiscreen.com/murakami-us-dealers/

Or you can call us here and we can arrange for your dealer to place a restretching order.

Alan Buffington
800.562.3534 ext 118
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2014, 03:07:21 PM »
Thanks Jon for the photo and reply. 

Alan

Alan,

My post is not your screen. I just wanted to clarify that. My response was to the fact that statics can't hold tension over time or have high tension. Mainly pointed at john. By the way John has an amazing shop. Best shop I have ever seen. He has put alot of time and effort into that shop. Jak prints has to know they picked the right guy for the job.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2014, 04:18:42 PM »
We restretch here in LA, Westar and Dimensional offer the service out of Washington area, and Kings Mountain Screen Service in North Carolina on the East coast also stretches on our frames or your clean aluminum frames.  River City in Texas, Advanced Screen Technology in Phoenix, Multicraft in Ohio are a few others.  Anyone on our dealer list can sell our pre-stretched and we do offer bulk re-stretching services if you want it done here on our stretcher as well. 

http://murakamiscreen.com/murakami-us-dealers/

Or you can call us here and we can arrange for your dealer to place a restretching order.

Alan Buffington
800.562.3534 ext 118

I hate to bash Multicraft as they have been good to us, but I have given them several chances with the stretching and they keep failing miserably. Anybody looking for good screens, have them shipped to your dealer from Murakami. Without a doubt their screens were the best I've ever seen.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2014, 06:49:42 PM »
There are two schools of thought on tensioning. The first is rapid tension, take it to the desired tension and glue immediately.  The other is to stage the mesh

This was how I stretched my Newman frames for the first 10-12 years I made them. 305's would take me 3 days to make as I brought them up really slow, would weight them overnight then creep them up to production levels. Those were some glorious frames but the time to make them.. ugg!

Then I got a Roller Master and started going 25% over max tension and allowing them to rest down to production levels.
Doing this rapidly allowed the screen to hit the floor in hours and with 2-3 retensions, was golden.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2014, 07:12:34 PM »
I bought us a small set of large, 36x45 or something, S thread statics direct for Murakami.  Very nice screens at excellent tension for the size and reasonable cost.  Murakami knows their own mesh and will tension it confidently.  A lot of suppliers tend to get spooked and won't get up to target tension/working before gluing. 

Statics are kind of a no-go for us considering location/shipping but I would have no problem running them if we were a little more local to a stretcher or stretched in house.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2014, 10:22:39 PM »
Northwest Graphic(http://nwgraphic.com/) up here in MN will stretch them to upper 20's with the S mesh.

The thing we found is a "cheep" static frame can't hold the tension very well...
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2014, 06:41:40 PM »
Im using our slow time to edumacate myself and I have this question concerning s-mesh static's and retensionable frames that are running high tension.

Is the end results close when using either? A lower tension s-mesh static that has more open area versus a standard mesh retensionable running higher tension?

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2014, 01:22:32 AM »
I would say "about". But reten. "S" set to a bit higher tension than a s-static can be a very nice thing, fragile, but nice.

Murphy37

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2014, 06:12:13 AM »
On the opposite side of the fence I can't wait till some of my screens lose tension.

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2014, 09:29:49 AM »
On the opposite side of the fence I can't wait till some of my screens lose tension.

I have 50-100 "work softened" statics that I'd be willing to let go at a very reasonable price.   ;D
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2014, 09:41:24 AM »
Ha.lol. Nice, this is why I'm likening the "S" statics lately, kind of a meeting in the middle.

Murphy37

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2014, 09:43:35 AM »

I have 50-100 "work softened" statics that I'd be willing to let go at a very reasonable price.   ;D

How much tension drop did you wind up having? (Not including those ones the mesh came unglued - I think that was you anyway.)