Author Topic: Hoodie Discharge-ability???  (Read 1673 times)

Offline ScreenPrinter123

Hoodie Discharge-ability???
« on: December 20, 2013, 11:02:31 AM »
Anyone successfully discharged Independent Trading company's Adult IND4000 and Youth IND4001Y in charcoal heather?  Have a customer wanting to use these -- I'm guessing the face of the hoodie is 100% cotton ("100% cotton 32 singles face yarn for supreme printability and softness") even though the rest of it is 80/20 (cott/poly)?

Thanks for your assistance.

Oh... and I know some of you have said Ind. Trading hoodies are like printing on a shirt (I think it was Pierre who said it) -- so you're saying I won't need to use the web spray right (even for plastisol)? :-)

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
Re: Hoodie Discharge-ability???
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 11:42:50 AM »
We just attempted a DC job on these a week ago after being assured by ITC that they discharge. The end result: they didn't. After a call to ITC, they confirmed there was a "bad batch" of heather charcoal that doesn't discharge. My advice is definitely confirm with ITC that you are getting garments from a new batch. We were told Hurley ran discovered the problem (on god knows how many thousands of pieces) and ITC had no idea how many were still out in distribution.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 11:50:29 AM »
There are still some that have slipped through. I have part of that batch. We discharge IND4000's all the time with great results.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 12:04:18 PM »
With fleece it can not only change batch to batch, but size to size, we had a bunch of zip-hoodies that all discharged perfectly except the mediums, which only discharged to a scummy grey-yellow color. The fabric on the mediums had a coarser weave too.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 12:14:58 PM »
We have mostly had good luck, sometimes you get some screwballs. I really love their fleece
in terms of construction and fit, aside from printability. Occasionally we've had issues of the
inner poly fabric popping through the face, leaving a non discharged fuzz.

No web spray for single color discharge. still need it for most everything else.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 02:49:37 PM »
Hanes Print Pro Hoodies discharge like a champ!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 03:57:38 PM »

I try to tell people this. Nobody listens. Nobody. They aren't even that much more expensive,
and they are easily the best discharging fleece we've seen. Client knows best of course.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 10:01:28 PM »
Same issues with color on the Hanes as we see in T Shirts?

Also, we are discharging the Sport Tek zipper/pullover hoodies.... damn, forgot their product number.  But having really good success. 
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 10:40:13 PM »

Are these the f170 10 oz with 100% cotton face or something else?  If so, I'm wondering if that 100% cotton face applies to the charcoal heather since it's 65/35 and not 90/10 like the rest. Either way let me know if that be's them.

Gracias.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 11:10:59 PM »
The fleece does better than their shirts. I rate their shirts a C+ at best, printpro fleece an A.

No idea on the charcoal heather though. I'd wager on the side of yes, but only one way to find out.

Colin if you can dish the sportek style number I'd appreciate it.

8PM here and finally effing finished. Happy holidays ya'll.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 01:52:36 AM »
Will do EB.

And yea, these are the Sport Tek with the cotton facing.  We did their mid and dark heathers and black, they all discharged really well.

I am pushing the owners to do more discharge printing on those instead of plastisol.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.