Poll

What is your largest offered print width?

5 inches (all I do is Onesies)
13 inches wide
15 inches wide
17 inches wide
18 inches wide
19 inches wide
20 inches wide
more than 20
all over

Author Topic: What is your largest offered print size?  (Read 3625 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
What is your largest offered print size?
« on: August 02, 2011, 04:20:55 AM »
I am looking to upgrade my print size and I am wondering what everyone else is doing.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: What is your largest offered print size?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 06:09:05 AM »
17"x19" but it was only for my retail line......none of our clients need anything that large. If they did we would charge a premium for the larger screens etc.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 07:17:57 AM »
We print up to 15x17 as our standard print area.  The press will do 15x23 with the current pallets we have and we up charge for that.  We will at some point get wider pallets so we can do say 20x23. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Palmetto7

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:38:19 AM »
We typically print 14x17 but have printed orders for larger sizes but not as often as in the past.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:39:45 AM »
I usually will offer 14" wide as our max.  I chose 13 up top since that is more common than 14 for us.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 10:35:08 AM »
16x18 for us. My press came with an odd size of pallets that are 17x20. My press prints from the center of the machine out so I can still get about 19" tall if I want to push it. We have a setup that we built for the manual to do almost 28 tall by 18 wide. Built it for an MMA job. Its a definite upcharge for that.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 11:45:46 AM »
15x18 standard, 18x21 jumbo.

Printed some shirts from top to bottom a few weeks ago, manually.
Pictures when they get this contest rolling...

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 12:20:14 PM »
15x18 is our standard and we up charge for "jumbo" and then up charge again for "all over".

That standard size is way more than enough for most clients.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 01:57:26 PM »
13 x 18 standard

16 x 20 upcharged

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 06:13:39 PM »
12x13 standard  we can print up to 16x16 if we needed to
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 11:55:39 PM »
I am amazed.. I figured there would have been alot more people printing larger for their standard sizes... This may make me rethink what I want to do. I was going to get 4 inch sleeves, 12 inch pallets for youth and womens (when needed) then get 20 inch wide for all the trendy clothing line guys. My 16 inches would fill in the normal stuff. The reason I picked those sizes was they are 4 inches away from each other. This is a work in process to get all of them I may just start with 6 of each that I need.

Ok Another question. Do you print with a 4 inch squeegee on a 4 inch pallet? Can you use a larger squeegee and not hurt the blade? What do you do?

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 12:38:54 AM »
16 inches wide puts the print in the armpits when worn and looks very stupid... I dont know why fashion lines print so huge. I tell my customers that 13 is plenty wide. Nothing like plastisol in your arm pits (gross).

Thankfully the allover trend is dying. I've only been asked once in the last year or so.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:42:52 AM by endless ink printing »

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 08:18:05 AM »
The allover trend is dying?  What am I going to do with all of those brand new shirts I bought at TJ Max?  Crap, now I need a new wardrobe.

Actually, I am glad it's dying, ugliest crap ever.  13 inches wide for a front print is still darn big.  I will sometimes go that big on a back print.  Most of my stuff is standard left chest and full back.  Some designs we do under the sleeve by the hem. 

We've been printing the piss out of pockets the last year.  The college kids are all about some pocket tees.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
Actually many people do not nor ever have figured out how to design for allover prints in a way that they don't look stupid when worn. Designers get so wrapped up the large format they want to use every inch they can. Which is why you often see the image abruptly stop at the shoulders and side seams. Looks cool on the rack but kind of silly when its worn. It's best to dither, in some form or fashion,
the graphic as it approaches the image limits. IMO allover work looks good, when done right, on womens and kids but on grown men?
I think I have some pieces in the gallery here (vintage motorcycle and surf girl/burlesque) that are for men and women that have an all over feel without going gonzo. Best......they were all done with standard pallets/ screens etc, and some spray techniques give them a sort of organic look.  Maybe one of the guys can attach. My computer has some glitch where it won't let me post pics. We're working on it.
Anyway I wouldn't rush out and buy that $200,000 belt printer just yet.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 09:28:04 AM by blue moon »

Offline Action1

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 02:20:11 PM »
Quote from: tonypep link=topic=1061.msg10036#msg10036 date-=1312376580

Anyway I wouldn't rush out and buy that $200,000 belt printer just yet.

There are many ways to accomplish AOP without a significant investment. We are continuing to concentrate in this area because we are still seeing many orders for them. This is an area that we have  really pushed the limits in for many years. We got a bit carried away a couple of years ago and developed some really far-out systems. I think we muddied the water a bit by offering too many options. We'll keep the ideas coming - but sometimes we're surprised by what's a hit and what isn't. I was certain that the all-over-wrap around - flip - side shifting - reversible -pallet with the built on stereo was going to be a hit. - We're keeping things a bit more simplified now.

I would say that while the sales for AOP Pallets isn't what it was in 2009-2010 - we attribute this change to a general lack of character & testicular fortitude of our elected government.

Tony - please give a handshake to Joe for me.  :)