Author Topic: Ink Mixing/Storage Containers?  (Read 4040 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Ink Mixing/Storage Containers?
« on: January 18, 2014, 01:03:25 AM »
I've been using these for some time now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007V2HBJS

They cost about 50 cents each, and I can use them to store discharge mixes for weeks in the fridge which is awesome.  I am finding though that I toss them more often than not, and they are somewhat brittle, so my fin bit on the drill will occasionally crack them when mixing inks.

I guess I am just curious what everyone else is using, and if there is a cheaper alternative that also offers an airtight lid and is hopefully less brittle.  I am open to 32oz or larger, but 32oz really is ideal for most of my runs as it will hold up to 1000g which will usually last 200-300 shirts.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
Re: Ink Mixing/Storage Containers?
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 10:02:24 AM »
price is right on those, but the link I posted is solvent resisitant and they are clear.  Havent tried them, but I think I am going to order a case.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 11:50:17 AM »
32 oz??????  Aren't those a bit large?  I did see the 16 oz there
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 11:56:38 AM »

A little inefficient on space-saving, but a quart sized container is nice for really stirring up a mixed pint, a pretty common size.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 12:00:23 PM »

A little inefficient on space-saving, but a quart sized container is nice for really stirring up a mixed pint, a pretty common size.

yeah, good for mixing with the drill, less spillage. I do see where the solvent resistance comes in. we ran some nazdar inks yesterday and it ate right through the container after 20 minutes. but for wb/plastisol they worked great. We have an ink room so space isn't a big deal.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 12:05:40 PM »
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 12:17:11 PM »
A few years back, I came across a carton of these at a garage sale.
Very nice for small amounts, but not nice enough to justify buying the crap that comes in them!

(the label slips right off leaving a nice white container)

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 01:02:42 PM »
Wow!  Thanks for all the suggestions.  I actually buy other things from webstaurantstore already and the price is definitely right.  I was wondering though about the different materials for the different options.

The ones I buy on amazon are polypropylene, but the cheapo version on webstaurant is polystyrene.  While not microwaveable, the polystyrene is described as "high impact" which I would hope implies they aren't as brittle as the polypropylene.  Anyone else mixing directly in these without it splitting?  I also found these which don't say what kind of plastic they are: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/newspring-ysd2532-32-oz-clear-round-deli-container-combo-pack-240-case/128YL2532%20%20%20COMBO240.html

I prefer the 32oz over the smaller containers, even when the ink only requires 1/4 of the volume.  Just as a few other people mentioned, it makes the mixing process much cleaner.  Even with the 64oz containers, which I use for large jobs, the mixing isn't as clean due to the more squat shape.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 01:09:04 PM »
Polystyrene is highly susceptible to damage from any sort of aggressive chemical or solvent, I'd even worry about plasticizers effecting it after prolonged storage. It also doesn't do well to extended UV exposure as it becomes brittle, heck it's pretty brittle to begin with. I'd say it's fine for temporary, disposable use for plastisol or WB, but I wouldn't use it for extended time storage use. There are very good reasons why Plastisol and WB come in HDPE or PP containers from the manufacturers.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:18:28 PM by Inkworks »
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 01:21:20 PM »
good to know.  I'll just get a case of the pp ones and call it a day.  I can deal with the cracking at that cost...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 02:27:52 PM »
i bought the 16oz, it's good, but you almost need both sizes.  The 32's would be better to have if you are only getting one size.

I went clear as well

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 02:34:51 PM »
We buy ours through Ryonet.  http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/product/RPCONTQTLID

Work great long term for plastisol, waterbase, discharge, solvent inks...  We get better pricing than the website but we order 100 or so at a time.

Not as cheap as others..... but they do everything we need them to.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Nick Bane

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 02:51:03 PM »
http://www.hillmansupply.com/1-Qt-Multi-Mix-Plastic-Container-Leaktite-2M3_p_265.html

Have an ink room full of these at a shop im working at now, filled with a rainbow of plastisols and wb/discharge inks and they go back and forth from the production floor all day long and hold up to the beating they get on the floor also.  as long as you keep them clean youre good and they seem to last.
Bane Ink - 619-701-4283