Author Topic: Questions about Washout Booth recirculating systems  (Read 4275 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Questions about Washout Booth recirculating systems
« on: August 03, 2011, 11:36:42 AM »
How do they work?

Is it just for washing out in the dark room (unexposed emulsion and water) or is it for reclaiming screens?

I can see how a simple filter/pump system would work for washing out exposed screens.

I just don't know how one would handle the chemicals... maybe they don't, anyone know?

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
Re: Questions about Washout Booth recirculating systems
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 01:38:55 PM »
How do they work?

Is it just for washing out in the dark room (unexposed emulsion and water) or is it for reclaiming screens?

I can see how a simple filter/pump system would work for washing out exposed screens.

I just don't know how one would handle the chemicals... maybe they don't, anyone know?

Recirculation systems have a tank (usually underneath the booth) that you would fill with ink degrader. The chemical is pumped to some sort of scrubbing device, Ink is removed, and then the chemical is filtered and re-used. Most shops I see use them to only remove the ink.... Then they remove emulsion in another booth. They do seem to reduce Ink Degrader consumption significantly. Just keep in mind sludge will build up and you have to have a way to dispose of it, and keep plenty of filters on hand..... ;)
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 03:55:22 PM »
unless you are me and have worked an automotive oil filter into the equation.  Ever since I did that it cleans the solution so well that I don't have to empty it.  Just add more when I run low.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 04:10:52 PM »
What kind of volume do you have to be doing to really see the benefits of a system like this?

Assuming DIY and not a $1k+ system.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 04:34:49 PM »
Almost nothing in my opinion.  It's a much easier place to wash squeegees, spatulas, and anything that comes in contact with ink.  Harbor freight sells them pretty cheap, or you can make one from a restaurant supply store's sink.

Parts washers are what you should be researching.  And then use an oil filter relocation kit from JEGS.com and buy oil filters for it for around $6 each for the STP brand from your local auto zone.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 04:47:40 PM »
As far as the washout booth itself I plan on doing this:
http://www.thegarciaslife.com/index.php/site/garticles/do-it-yourself_washout_booth_for_screen_printing/

I already have a 330 gallon tote that is the same size as this just about a foot taller.

I've been thinking about recirculating water systems to cut down on waste as I really don't have a good way to dispose of the water.

I'm also trying to come up with a scheme for recirculating the regular water when washing out after exposing... maybe a separate basin to catch the water then filter and recirculate it.  Obviously you don't want any chemicals getting on a freshly exposed screen.

Would I essentially need three systems?  One for recirculating rinse out water, one for recirculating ink degrader and then a third for reclaiming the screen (can I recirculate that?).

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 05:08:19 PM »
Why would you recirculate the water?  Let it go down the drain..you can filter it, which is good idea.

You can get an up-pump that is in a bin already for getting your water up to the house drain if that is your problem.  Personally, I would not recirculate water.  I could see a whole host of problems with that.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 05:21:48 PM »
That is basically my problem... but I'm curious... what would be the problems you see?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
1 would be storage and developing adequate pressure.

I have 2 systems, 1 is a parts washer that I use solvent in to clean squeegees, floodbars and spatulas.  The other is a waterbased only tank that I use for reclaiming, developing and cleaning water based products like emulsion.

This is what I would recommend.  I personally don't see how a system with no drain, that recirculated used water would be effective.  Especially given the broad range of chemicals that are used in this industry.