Author Topic: WTF Moire??? maybe  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Ryan

WTF Moire??? maybe
« on: March 03, 2014, 06:44:44 PM »
I am getting a Moire pattern that is consistent through the whole color. Its a solid block of color so I have no idea what would cause this. Stencil feels good, both underbase and green are on 160s at about 21N. Wasn't happening in the yellow or it wasn't noticeable. Any thought sto why I would get this consistent pattern? Boards were covered with fleece and I did clean them, which helped (not this pic) but was still there? this is waterbase. It was on a Gildan shirt?

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
Re: WTF Moire??? maybe
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 07:04:44 PM »
Sound like the mesh is at an angle to me. Torqued one way.
If solid color, no halftones.

Shane

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 07:25:59 PM »
1, This may or may not be it, but sometimes, during the separation process, some residual %'s or dots can be left behind when extracting one elements out of an area.  Left over 35 dots could cause this. It's happened before.

2, Pierre may say, It's the weave of the garment. I never believed that to be the case with issues on tee shirts...until Pierre pointed it out on one of our prints for one brand tee and not on another.  Try printing it on another garment type and see if it does the same thing.

D

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »
Hey Ryan, is it a spot color, or a halftone, looks like a spot. This isn't a game plan for future set ups, but if I encounter this, I change out to a soft squeegee, lay on some good angle, and you can usually salvage the set up to get through the run, not all the time, but most of the time. Had this happen to me last week with a dam hot pink that is so translucent, and a static frame, looked just like that. Switched over to a 70 duro, laid it down to about 15-20 degrees and remedied the issue. There are some good hints about this phenomena over on M&R's forum as someone had the same problem happening last week and some folks jumped in with hints. If you don't have time for a new set up and try this, just be easy with your pressure and find that sweet spot it should get you through.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Ryan

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 07:51:14 PM »
Spot color on shurloc ez frames with a 75 duro. We redid the under base so green will go to shirt (denim color) which I think will help the green as it is a little lighter than we want. Stretched up new screen to see if tension had anything to do with it, which I don't think will matter. Its only 48 shirts but just trying to get waterbase down so I can at least trouble shoot issues.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 08:26:24 PM »
Wait.... waterbase? Underbase?

Offline Ryan

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 09:06:38 PM »
Correct. Using permaset inks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 09:26:50 PM »
both underbase and green are on 160s

That's your problem.

Bump the top color mesh up or the underbase mesh down. If they are the same mesh count the subtle patterns that the mesh makes on the surface of the ink film can cause this interference pattern. It's a 160+160 moire thing.

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 09:28:41 PM »
And yes it's most noticeable when the top color is blues and reds, not so much on yellows and greens, etc.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 11:37:09 PM »
How small is that guy. If he is really small it looks like mesh marks in the ink. I'm on my phone can't really see it.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 09:00:17 AM »
I am going to change the mesh count on the underbase and possibly the top color as well. The guy is about 5-6" tall. its just a small portion of the whole design.
Thanks eveyone

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 02:19:09 PM »
both underbase and green are on 160s

That's your problem.

Bump the top color mesh up or the underbase mesh down. If they are the same mesh count the subtle patterns that the mesh makes on the surface of the ink film can cause this interference pattern. It's a 160+160 moire thing.

I think I figured out how to fix this without changing meshes--you just make all the threads in your second screen register perfectly with all the threads in your first screen.   

I have no idea how to do that, but I'm reasonably sure that would fix it.  ;D

Seen the same thing with single colors though--weird stuff.  But then again, moire=two fabrics interacting.  Screen and shirt works just as well as screen and screen...

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 02:22:05 PM »
That is correct

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 03:40:44 PM »
Now that I could see the pic, not on my phone. I have to say this has never happened here. I print with the same mesh alot. I always go to my 155 screens for all spot work. From what It looks like to me is one of two things. Your printing with way to much pressure on your top colors or you have zero EOM, or both. Your smashing the top color on to a gelled underbase. Your top colors should be a clean smooth print.

This is what I would do to make sure everything is right.

1) make sure underbase is fulling flashed
2) Print 2nd color onto a white shirt to make sure the screen is printing right (check for blockage or dirty screen, clean if needed)
3) Take 2nd head and set it to the softest print you can. Back way off on the pressure (just enough to clear the mesh of ink)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 04:11:13 PM »
Awhile back we had a discussion about a similar effect you sometimes see in translucent colors like royal blue
on top of an underbase. It's usually more of a "ripple" type look but kind of looks like what's pictured here.
Alan and Mr. Kitson had chimed in with knowledge on the subject which made me feel better about having it happen
to us before.