Author Topic: Removing WB ink  (Read 3931 times)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Removing WB ink
« on: March 03, 2014, 09:22:57 PM »
What are people using to remove images from WB/DC ink that doesn't come out in initial reclaim? I have a couple stubborn screens!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
Re: Removing WB ink
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 09:36:13 PM »
What are people using to remove images from WB/DC ink that doesn't come out in initial reclaim? I have a couple stubborn screens!

This:

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 09:38:28 PM »
have you tried this? We have had good luck with it. But I have had WB screens that just were no goes.

http://www.ccidom.com/products.php?product=H{47}C%252d100-HAZE-REMOVER#

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 09:44:54 PM »
Yeah sometimes with very stubborn wb stains (where the mesh seems "dyed") you need to resort to the really harsh caustic stuff. Which sucks, because it's dangerous stuff that can burn/blind employees or destroy thinner meshes.

If you've used the more lightweight options and the stain is still there, I wouldn't worry about it unless it's affecting exposures or messing with stencil detail. I have several screens that have permanent black image stains. No effect on anything when I burn new stencils with them.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 09:59:22 PM »
Agreed, if you are going to use this stuff you need to wear full protective gear. Full face mask & some rain gear with some good rubber gloves. ( think Walter White )  :)

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 10:36:51 PM »
If it does not affect our prints, we don't do anything. If it does, we change the mesh.

All my fingers are wrecked because I use to use caustic that comes in pebble forms (industry standard here). I ignored the itchiness and it started to eat into my finger tips.

Another thing about concentrated caustic is, it corrodes Aluminium. I had half a kilogram of caustic and the pebbles were stuck together like ice. So I dropped it into a bucket of water, it started bubbling and the water got hot. I stirred it with an Aluminium rod and within second it turned black and the submerged rod was all dissolved.

IT IS NOT WORTH THE HASSLE, YOUR HEALTH IS NOT WORTH SEVERAL DOLLARS (after chemical, and time, you might have just saved several dollars).

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 10:39:18 PM »
The murakami 700 haze remover is magic, but you need gloves and a faceshield to be safe.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 11:11:23 PM »
WOW! And this is the ink the customers seem to think is "environmentally friendly" ink!! As usual, the customers know best:D

Thanks guys I didn't think it would a big issue leaving the "stain" on some of them. Kind of a morale sucker punch though!
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 11:26:43 PM »
CCI GR-70 full strength gets all my WB stains out. Only ink that is a pain is CCI spot black. That one is hard. Got all the black out but there is still ghosting.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 11:49:17 PM »
It seems like red is a bad one for us. We put in damn near half the day Friday doing some HUGE front prints for some proofs. Was a huge nightmare, now that image is burned into the screen forever to remind us!!! :'(
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 12:02:20 AM »
I used to use screen opener. GR-70 does as good if not better. Never have red stains. Plastisol stains all come out. Spot black is the only one in years. Just got the spot black last week.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 08:03:39 AM »
Xenon F.S.I.C. or Inkwreck
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 09:14:22 AM »
The best way to be 'environmental' and remove those stubborn waterbase pigments trapped in the knuckles of the mesh is to use a 3000 psi washer with hot water.

Don't have that.. then a home depot special and a bucket of lye are in your future.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 10:29:34 AM »

Also not trying to be a jerk, but do you at least have a catalog?

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 01:23:59 PM »

Also not trying to be a jerk, but do you at least have a catalog?
Uh no :o :o.  Glad to send you some info and pricing.  PM me your email.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald