Author Topic: illustrator/photoshop which version  (Read 4926 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
illustrator/photoshop which version
« on: August 08, 2011, 12:14:42 AM »
I just got a new laptop. Which version would be the best to install? CS4? I think I remember reading somewhere that CS5 has some stuff taken out which is useful for us (screen printers? Thanks!

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
Re: illustrator/photoshop which version
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 03:09:57 AM »
The screen angle/dot shape/frequency options in the print separation dialog box are gone in Photoshop CS5. If you get the Creative Suite you can place your files in Illustrator and output through that print dialog box and get the options except for dot shape, unless you print as postscript or Adobe PDF and use Adobe PDF as your printer. Printing to a postscript laser printer doesn't let me choose the dot shape. I think the same options are available in InDesign. I've still got CS3 installed and can always go back to that.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 08:37:35 AM »
I have CS4 Master Collection.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 09:57:51 AM »
The screen angle/dot shape/frequency options in the print separation dialog box are gone in Photoshop CS5. If you get the Creative Suite you can place your files in Illustrator and output through that print dialog box and get the options except for dot shape, unless you print as postscript or Adobe PDF and use Adobe PDF as your printer. Printing to a postscript laser printer doesn't let me choose the dot shape. I think the same options are available in InDesign. I've still got CS3 installed and can always go back to that.

So, in CS5 one cannot set the line count, angle and dot shape? Is it somewhere else?
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 11:25:48 AM »
In Photoshop, only if you're doing bitmap halftones. You can still set the angle, frequency and shape for those. That's how I output files most of the time anyway from Photoshop, or I place them into InDesign or Illustrator to add vector stuff and registration marks.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 01:18:56 PM »
Running cs4 on the workstation, cs5 on the laptop.  I think cs5 should workout just fine and will probably upgrade the workstation later this year.

What's left out of PS cs5 that is of interest to us screen printers outputting films from PS is explained pretty well at the link below:

http://www.softwareforscreenprinterstech.com/component/rsticketspro/view-article/172-ado-1012--photoshop-understanding-cs5-and-all-its-changes

I'm not opposed to this sort of workflow but I haven't mastered outputting .dcs files (saved in ps, placed into illy) yet so I've been a little hesitant.   

One point that could be made is that we don't have any need, strictly as printers, for the newer PS versions.  Most of the newer versions are built and geared for purely digital workflows it seems so most of the features aren't all that relevant for the simple tasks of color separation.  PS 7 would work just fine for most and I used to keep a copy installed on a vm. 

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 01:53:44 PM »
I misunderstood, I thought you said Illy didn't have that in it's print dialog anymore. We print all of are seps from Illy, seems there's always a vector element or two, plus that's how we learned in the old days, can't change, hee hee

Steve

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 02:09:09 PM »
I've never really thought of Photoshop as being good for output. Always Illy for that.

In CS3 we lost the ability to place Photoshop PSD files with separable spot channels.
It apparently was a workaround for a "bug" for the offset guys.

Pick one and stick with it, you likely don't need any of the new features (although gradient
transparency  is pretty nice) and once you get accustomed to the layout it's hard to make the jump
to another.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 03:48:10 PM »
I've never really thought of Photoshop as being good for output. Always Illy for that.

In CS3 we lost the ability to place Photoshop PSD files with separable spot channels.
It apparently was a workaround for a "bug" for the offset guys.

Pick one and stick with it, you likely don't need any of the new features (although gradient
transparency  is pretty nice) and once you get accustomed to the layout it's hard to make the jump
to another.

That didn't happen to us when we upgraded to CS3, hmmm

Offline shurloc

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 06:56:52 PM »
I use Illustrator a ton for stuff at the office here and by night I am a photographer so I use Photoshop pretty heavily for that... The one thing I will say about updating - make sure the new stuff works with your old stuff...

For example - Adobe doesn't support WIN XP on anything newer than CS3... They will 'try to help' but there's no official support. Of course, on the flip side, anything CS3 or older, isn't certified to work with WIN7...

Usually not a major issue, but for you Mac users, Lion just came out if I'm not mistaken... (we use PC's since I use Sony DSLR's for shooting and they weren't Mac friendly when the arrived on the market) and that could create some issues with older software and support...
Online at: www.shurloc.com - Like Us On Facebook: shurloc.com/Facebook - How To Videos: shurloc.com/YouTube - Follow Us For Updates: shurloc.com/Twitter

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 11:53:49 PM »
I was desappointed at adobe for not suppoting CS2 when win 7 came along supposedly they would support
two version back when this all happened
I guess adobe want people to spend more money
corel runs nicely in all three OS
any ways that`s why i still run on vista and still using cs2 corel x4 they work like a heaven
just my experience night night

Offline squeezee

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 04:17:40 AM »
I guess adobe want people to spend more money
To be honest it takes a lot of money to offer support and there is a limit to the number of products for which you can offer decent support.  Then you have to support the three products on Win7/Vista/XP/MacOSX in three flavours... surely you have to draw the line somewhere! Plus they do offer 'help' and there are user forums.

I can't remember when CS2 came out, five years maybe?  If you haven't met the problem in that time it probably isn't too big
imagesetters for screenprinting  A Troll-free zone :-)

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 11:51:12 AM »

When I started design school, I only new a little about photoshop and not much about illy. As time went on, I learned more about both and found that I didn't really like photoshop for anything outside of photography. I am really baffled as to how photoshop has become an illustration and design program for some people. Ok, I can see its use for illustration, but I still think that illustrator is a better tool for that. Indesign is the real deal for layout, even if it is one page, it kicks illy's butt all over the place.

As for version support, I had CS3 until a short time after I upgraded to snow leopard. Stuff just started going wrong here and there. I was a little worried because of the lack of version cue, but I have gotten over that since. It just so happens that Adobe announced that they were dropping support for cs3 at the time, which also supported my decision. As said before, if it is just for screeprinting film output, the latest and greatest won't get you much more than whatever earlier edition you wish to use.

What about customer files? I know for a fact that there is no way that cs3 with read cs5 files. Do you all create your own artwork from customer spec? Or do you ask for an eps or pdf or something universal?

I will say this, if you plan to use adobe programs for design, cs5 is the way to go. Especially if you have an up to date system and OS.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 12:04:51 PM »
When I started design school, I only new a little about photoshop and not much about illy. As time went on, I learned more about both and found that I didn't really like photoshop for anything outside of photography. I am really baffled as to how photoshop has become an illustration and design program for some people. Ok, I can see its use for illustration, but I still think that illustrator is a better tool for that. Indesign is the real deal for layout, even if it is one page, it kicks illy's butt all over the place.

Very well said !

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 12:23:56 PM »
If you bought a new mac cs4 will not work.

Only cs5...

and not a cs5 upgrade either...