Author Topic: How to load shirts  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Appstro

How to load shirts
« on: March 10, 2014, 09:31:37 AM »
Is there a specific way to load shirts onto the platen? I did a run of 50 shirts. When I loaded the shirts onto the platen I pulled the shirt around the platen holding onto the bottom of the shirt, then pinched the shoulder tops and pulled the shirt into position being sure to line up parallel and position. Now I notice that alot of the shirts breast image (small 3.75 inch image) is crooked. It is tilted toward the outside of the shirt. This makes me wonder if I am causing the crooked image with the way I am loading. The film and placement on the screen and all is straight otherwise. Is this just how shirts look when you take them off the press, but when wearing will look straight? I doubt anyone will notice this but me...but I am curious if there is a specific way I need to be doing things....Thanks for your advice! :)

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: How to load shirts
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 10:02:45 AM »
With experience, you will get faster and straighter (that said, 20+ years, and I still make some crooked prints.
A good way is to pull the shirt fully on until the shoulders snug against the top of the board, then back it evenly towards you until in the correct position.
You will also start seeing the knit for straightness as well.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ole jobe

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 12:31:49 PM »
I cut the front of my platens at about a 30 degree angle. The shoulder seams line up easily with the top of the platen making it much easier to get the shirts straight. But like Frog says, practice, practice, practice. God Bless.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 01:01:58 PM »
this guy puts out a bunch of videos (youtube) he sometimes gets things wrong (to my way of thinking) however there is good starting info for your continued exploration. 
How To Screen Print: Loading The Pallet With Shirts

mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 10:15:38 PM »
When starting out you can check the armpit seem junctions to see if the line between them is square to the platen until you get the feel of it.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Appstro

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 09:00:14 AM »
Thanks everyone :)

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 11:08:28 AM »
With experience, you will get faster and straighter (that said, 20+ years, and I still make some crooked prints.
A good way is to pull the shirt fully on until the shoulders snug against the top of the board, then back it evenly towards you until in the correct position.
You will also start seeing the knit for straightness as well.

Yup. Look at the vertical "grain" of the shirt - it can signal a poorly loaded shirt.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 10:01:52 PM »
That guy lost a little credibility (with me) when he pulled out the spray tack.

One thing that can cause shifting is if the pallet is real sticky and you're trying to place the shirt, be sure and fluff it as you work so you don't cause a crooked print by altering (stretching) how it lays or is stuck on the pallet.

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline starchild

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 12:01:18 AM »
That guy lost a little credibility (with me) when he pulled out the spray tack.

Yeah he and Ryonet does the same thing.. They review and swear by products that optimize your operations and then revert to the same bad habits in future videos so it's  never an evolution.. Where's the trust??

Sent using Tapatalk