Author Topic: Complete Newbie...trying to get started  (Read 3296 times)

Offline sarahpierces

Complete Newbie...trying to get started
« on: March 11, 2014, 02:24:17 PM »
So I am completely new to this, but I work for a tattoo shop and we want to start producing t-shirts...can anyone help me with what equipment I need...so I don't get ripped off...and what space I would need for a 4-6 manual screen printer...

Thank you,
Sarah

Offline prozyan

Re: Complete Newbie...trying to get started
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 03:21:39 PM »
What you are asking is actually much more in depth than just what space you need. 

Are you wanting to produce t-shirts just for your shop or as a separate business?  If it is just for the shop, personally I would just look to work out a contract deal on bulk quantities.  Given the learning curve and initial expenditure on equipment, you'd probably save a lot of time and headaches going that direction.

Or is this for a separate business venture?
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline kirkage

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 03:28:57 PM »
I have all of my equipment in a two-car detached garage. 6 color printer and 10 foot conveyor dryer. I would try to find a small shop in another city that you could visit. There is a lot to learn about the process that will take time. Keep your overhead low until you know what you are doing or contract you business to another printer. I was lucky to grow up around the business. You could try to buy used equipment like I did. The printer, I would buy new.

Offline LuxInks

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 03:33:35 PM »
What you are asking is actually much more in depth than just what space you need. 

Are you wanting to produce t-shirts just for your shop or as a separate business?  If it is just for the shop, personally I would just look to work out a contract deal on bulk quantities.  Given the learning curve and initial expenditure on equipment, you'd probably save a lot of time and headaches going that direction.

Or is this for a separate business venture?

Hey Sarah.
As far as equipment goes, there are several threads on this forum that will point you in the right direction so that you get good quality equipment. For the art, if you're doing full color tattoo art, you'll want to be sure to align yourself with a good artist that can make the color separations work for you in the six colors that you'll be working with. With being limited to six colors (if you're doing full color blended tattoo styled art), you should be looking to print with a good discharge ink system so that you're able to achieve a soft hand as well as utilize all six colors on darks.
For space, I would look to have a very minimum of 600 square feet which is pretty tight depending on the size of the dryer you'll be getting. With discharge printing (if you go this route), you'll need the tees to stay in the dryer for a while to get it to set properly. I do have a friend that has a small 4' dryer, and he runs them through 2 -times and doesn't have any issues with the prints washing out. Many here may not agree with that, but I've seen him do it. However, he does limited runs of only 36 tees at a time, and his helper puts them back through the dryer immediately.
Make sure you ventilate your workspace either way!
Hope this helps a little, and good luck.

Paul
www.luxinks.com
www.facebook.com/luxinks www.twitter.com/luxinks  Lux Inks 18900 Beach Blvd. Suite 110 Huntington Beach Calif. 92648 (949) 200.2923 
custom screen printing,contract screen printing,water base printing,discharge printing,flock,foil,apparel finishing,t-shirt printing

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 04:17:46 PM »
my suggestion would be to contract your printing out in the beginning and learn the business. Once you have enough customers, go ahead and purchase the equipment. I would imagine that most ppl here would agree with me when I say that printing is significantly harder than it seems.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline sarahpierces

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 05:50:19 PM »
It is going to be a separate business venture, we have a lot of people interested already in getting custom shirts printed...I just wanted to know what equipment I needed...I have seen a lot of start up kits and I never know if they are actually worth the money or just scams (working in the tattoo industry start up kits equal bad news). And I was also wondering if I attached a tshirt, if someone could tell me what type of printing was used (heat press, screen, etc...)

Offline prozyan

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 06:00:43 PM »
And I was also wondering if I attached a tshirt, if someone could tell me what type of printing was used (heat press, screen, etc...)

Yes, attach away.

As for the startup kits, some are better than others, but most would be accurately described as "hobbyist kits".  For a manual press, you want to look at the big names:  Vastex, M&R and Antec, specifically the Vastex 2000HD, the M&R Kruzer, and the Antec Legend.  For a dryer, with a manual, pretty much any conveyor dryer will work.  Vastex makes good units, as do quite a few others.  For a flash, look at something about 16"x16" in size.  You'll also need an assortment of screens, inks, squeegies and various other supplies.

To make your screens, your going to need someway to output film.  There are tons of threads around concerning the various methods.

To the original question, with a basic manual shop, you can fit it into a 20'x20' area, but when including all you have to do (develop screens, store screens, office equipment, sort and stack shirts, etc) it will very rapidly get crowded.  Look for at least 30'x30' and as with many things, bigger is certainly better.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 06:15:12 PM »
Sarah where are you located? We could probably point you in the right direction for a distributor that would have a good "start up kit". Any kit from eBay is not good. There really are not any "kits" more distributors that can give you a package deal. You are in luck as it is trade show season, again depending on where you are there may be a industry show in your area. There is a nice show this weekend in Atlantic City....

All that being said, I am going to echo what everyone else has said and contract jobs out for the time being. There can be a learning  screen printing. Especially if you are wanting to print tattoo inspired art with lots of shading. Dark color shirts can also pose a difficulty when starting out.

Have you considered a Direct to Garment machine?
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Online screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 08:12:59 PM »
I have seen a lot of start up kits and I never know if they are actually worth the money

I think most here would agree with me....NO!!

Your best shot at decent equipment will be used but still in good shape.  Expect to pay between 2500 and 4000 for a decent used setup depending on brand, age, and condition.  My used equipment hit about 3800 not counting supplies like ink, emulsion, etc.

Do a lot of digging.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 08:31:18 PM »
It is going to be a separate business venture, we have a lot of people interested already in getting custom shirts printed...I just wanted to know what equipment I needed...I have seen a lot of start up kits and I never know if they are actually worth the money or just scams (working in the tattoo industry start up kits equal bad news). And I was also wondering if I attached a tshirt, if someone could tell me what type of printing was used (heat press, screen, etc...)

Entry level start-up kits are usually a dead end except for hobby printing easy jobs now and then, though, as TCT said, any equipment manufacturer or dealer could most likely put together a package.
Used commercial quality is the way to go for most. 60% of new for lightly used equipment is not uncommon. What's your budget?

As for attaching a pic of a T, attach away! Let's see if we can figure out what you have.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 10:03:54 PM »
we did a bunch of research and we decided that  start up kits are the 1st gear in a 4 speed transmission, Great to get you going but not going to take you very far very fast.
Establish a budget and then go shopping.
New you can set up nice all new for about 10K used is all over  the board and most of it is junk you will regret because the good stuff goes before you see it and the bad stuff hangs there in the air looking for attention.

Expect to spend another $3,000ish on ink, screens, chemicals utilities like washout booth and pressure washers squeegees wide format inkjet printer films and on and on.
There are many manufacturers out there here is a google search on screen printer manufacturers / distributors start making call and reading the literature.
https://www.google.com/#newwindow=1&q=screen+printing+equipment&revid=1116398810&safe=off

lastly thanks to boardbrother Bluemoon on an earlier post here are some additional resources that will help
digitsmith www.digitsmith.com classifieds and forum
SPOF - www.screenprintersopen.com Preston's forum. Many of us  are  were members there too
t-shirt forums - www.t-shirtforums.com lot of posts for the ppl looking to start a screenprinting business
M&R - forums.mrprint.com M&R equipment manufacturer has their own forum with a blog, classifieds and various other info.
screenprintgroup.com www.screenprintgroup.com Bill Hood's forum. He also has a blog and other content at solutionsjournal.com
TSPMB - www.screenprinters.net large old school forum with a classifieds section
 t-biz www.t-biznetwork.com Scott Fresner's site. Forum is not very active, but it has other content available.
www.screenprintingforum.com not sure who owns that one, not very active

mooseman

mooseman
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 10:07:56 PM by mooseman »
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.