Author Topic: Metallic shimmer  (Read 4507 times)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Metallic shimmer
« on: August 10, 2011, 12:11:16 PM »
http://www.rjennings.com/browseproducts/PAGL-M128-1GAL-Brilliant-Silver-Shimmer.HTML

Any tips on printing these. The lowest available mesh I have is 110. I have seen that ink is to be printed with the 60-110 mesh.
Any other pointers would be appreciated.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Metallic shimmer
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 12:31:14 PM »
I have a low mesh screen you can borrow (20x24).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 12:33:35 PM »
In a past thread we have talked about mesh, even as high as 160, so your 110 will probably do okay, but probably won't cover in one pass.

We have also talked about underbasing or not. Many don't, some don't because they specifically don't like the effect, I do like the results with the gold.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 12:42:18 PM »
In a past thread we have talked about mesh, even as high as 160, so your 110 will probably do okay, but probably won't cover in one pass.

We have also talked about underbasing or not. Many don't, some don't because they specifically don't like the effect, I do like the results with the gold.
I guess I did the thing that I hate to see on T-shirt forum. I asked before checking :)

Anyhow, any more tips than they are on previous thread.

Pierre, thanks, I'll stop by if 110 does not work.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:00:58 PM by DKgrafix »

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 01:56:48 PM »
I think we did this one just a couple of weeks ago. Some like underlays, others not so much. We use Wilflex's gold and silver shimmer through a 110S Murakami, 2 strokes; one's OK, but 2 clears the mesh a little more, leaves a smoother finish.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 02:05:04 PM »
I heard the Union Shimmer has smaller particle size and can pass through the higher meshes better, not sure about that though.

It does come down to particle size I think.  I used to print a lot of QCM shimmer/metallics through 110 but then had to go to an 86, but I think that's just because the formulas were off, either too much flake or too much base.   Nowadays, using Wilflex shimmers, I like the 90/71 s for these.  I might even go lower.

After proper mesh selection it helps to build a thicker stencil if you can get away with it.

Keep lots of ink in the screen and pull the ink out and remix in the bucket, adding just a little clear base on long runs.  The particle flakes tend to get caught up in the mesh and you wind up passing more of the base through sometimes. 

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 02:15:49 PM »
I have printed metallic through 110. I have said it before and will again make sure you read the curing temp requirements, I didn't my first time and the ink came off. The metallic will reflect your heat.  And do a wash test.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 10:32:47 PM »
I've used that ink a lot. I use an 86 with a 70 duro, no underbase needed. Never tried with 110.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 11:10:12 PM »
I am doing a gold met on black shirts right now. I tried a white underbase thinned out like soup thru a 156 and the gold met thru an 86. I dont like how its coming out with the underbase, it makes it look more green. So I tried the gold met straight and actually like the effect better, more shimmery.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 07:42:26 AM »
Jus a quick update on the Silver shimmer. I printed some shirts last night with this ink through 110 mesh without any issues. It was printed PFP on black ........(Drumroll)......... ribbed tank top and it came out great. I think that I managed to learn how to print on those ugly shirts :) thanks to this video
How To Screen Print Tee Shirts: Sleeves & Ribbed Tank Tops

Just one thing, I did not make as many strokes as he did. 3-4 strokes, Flash, 2-3 strokes and done.

I'll try to post a pic tonight, it came out with pretty nice sharp edges and decent detail.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 10:01:39 AM »
Give it a try with no flash, just a double stroke, that's all we do for those inks, but if you're happy with the flash then stay there, but you might save a little electricity...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 10:05:39 AM »
Give it a try with no flash, just a double stroke, that's all we do for those inks, but if you're happy with the flash then stay there, but you might save a little electricity...

Steve

......and time :)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 08:36:28 AM »
Just a quick update on this post. I printed some last week, but after having issues with my 110 screens and loosing some details while washing out, I had to use 155 mesh (Had to be printed that day).
They came out great!!! PFP with a Newman frame with Shurloc 155 panel @ 35Ncm. Print came out very crisp and clean with great detail for shimmer and very sharp lines (edges).

Just wanted to let you know that it can be printed through 155 and look good. I used Union Silver shimmer.

Offline prozyan

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 10:14:12 AM »
You can get decent results with the Union silver up to ~200 mesh.  I particularly like the effect the higher mesh count gives when printed over an underbase. 

I've found the Union gold shimmer needs lower mesh counts to look good, at most 155, preferably 110.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 10:07:48 AM »
I just used Union's gold shimmer for the first time last week.  I used a 156 mesh and it printed great.  The customer was more than happy when they picked up there order.  I was a little hesitant to print through the 156 but I don't have any 110's and really didn't want to buy any.  That ink is great.