Author Topic: temperature donut probes  (Read 3623 times)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
temperature donut probes
« on: March 26, 2014, 09:13:12 PM »
Just wondering how many of you are using temperature donut probes?  If you are what do you think of them?  I was thinking about purchasing one "although they are pretty pricey" and stop relying on the temp gun because I'm always in doubt as to what the temp is at the bottom of the ink layer.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: temperature donut probes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 09:20:12 PM »
Ive got one... never seems to work correctly on top of the shirt or in the ink... at least when comparing to the ir gun.

We do use it inside the shirt with the cross hairs upside down.   I try to make sure that we are hitting 310 to 320 inside the shirt under the ink, assumimg that if its at temp inside, above it will be fully cured

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 09:22:58 PM »
Ive got one... never seems to work correctly on top of the shirt or in the ink... at least when comparing to the ir gun.

We do use it inside the shirt with the cross hairs upside down.   I try to make sure that we are hitting 310 to 320 inside the shirt under the ink, assumimg that if its at temp inside, above it will be fully cured

When you say upside down are you meaning inside the shirt with the wires against the belt or against the underside of the print?

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 09:26:20 PM »
Underside of the print.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 10:11:39 PM »
A laser temp gun gives you REFLECTIVE heat.

The probe actually tells you how hot is is at the cross hairs.

Reflective heat can be 20-50 degrees hotter..... even in a gas dryer.

Just used a probe last week and had one of my guys also use the pricey temp gun on the same garment at the same time.  It shocked them to see the temp deference between the two methods.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 11:40:04 PM »
If you are what do you think of them? 
I used it about ten times, now it sits in my cabinet. We will use it when we run into problems or try out new inks.

I like the probe because it can indicate where the cold spots are in the oven. Now I know why my curing time is not as fast as other people.

A cheaper alternative is to do a wash test.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 04:54:14 AM »
We just picked one up back in January from a restaurant supply who had the best price I could find. I has proven to be worth every dime for us.

http://techinstrumentation.com/products/93816-and-93916-Screen-Print-Thermometer-Kits.html

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 08:25:22 AM »
We just picked one up back in January from a restaurant supply who had the best price I could find. I has proven to be worth every dime for us.

http://techinstrumentation.com/products/93816-and-93916-Screen-Print-Thermometer-Kits.html

I just purchased the same one.  From the same outfit.  Appreciate it everyone.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 08:42:42 AM »
this is what we have:

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/138074/Silk-Screen-Print-Donut-Probe.htm
http://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/138040/EconoTemp-Thermocouple-Instrument.htm

looks like the one you guys found has a peak temp hold function, which would be really nice... 

so what is the "correct" way to use these?  I'm sure my way is 'overcooking' the top of the shirt a bit as the heat has to penetrate through the fabric after the ink... but I'd rather be 1000% sure of a good cure and deal with the potential for glossing issues.

Offline sben763

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 09:06:47 AM »
To save a bunch of money, I just bought the probe separately. Then use a multi meter with a k type port built in. Doesn't have any peak functions but works perfectly. I bought the probe for $100 and had the meter but they cost around $30.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 09:20:31 AM »
To save a bunch of money, I just bought the probe separately. Then use a multi meter with a k type port built in. Doesn't have any peak functions but works perfectly. I bought the probe for $100 and had the meter but they cost around $30.

Now THIS sounds like the perfect solution. And you have a multimeter to use for other tasks as well.

Interested to see how/where you guys are mounting these probes and how often you use them?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 09:48:54 AM »
I use the donut probe and the temp gun but I'd never just use the temp gun alone.  I know with fairly high certainty what the temp on the bottom of the print is at the same time I use the temp gun so I have a baseline or something very accurate to compare it to.  If I'm dealing with a thick ink deposit then I wouldn't trust the temp gun by itself and rely only on the donut probe.  I know on a regular underbased print that the temp gun will read 360-370 when the donut probe is reading 320 in the ink. But you still have to be careful because of what Colin said and some ink reflect and absorb very differently.   
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline kirkage

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 04:06:30 PM »
My donut probe is worthless in my small harco dryer. I use the temp gun and the paper thermometers. The paper thermometers seem to be really accurate.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 08:46:30 AM »
The Cooper Atkins donut probe works best when it's IN the ink.

smear a  finger blob on the shirt and sink the cross hairs into the ink.

Slow the belt down and then take readings.

Repeat the test a few times until you get your correct speed.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 10:14:37 AM »
I thought different ink thicknesses will yield different results. That is why I place the probe on a screen printed image.

I place the printed image on a thin wooden board. Then put the donut on the printed area. I use a wooden stick to press the wire into the ink, making sure it remains in there.

The thing that surprised me is my inks takes 10 seconds to heat up. When I look inside the heating chamber of my dryer, I discovered my I.R panels were not that big. >:(.