Author Topic: Screen Printing classes useful?  (Read 3275 times)

Offline Appstro

Screen Printing classes useful?
« on: April 01, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
I have done about 5 jobs now and have learned alot just from asking questions and watching vids on youtube. Would I still benefit greatly from taking a screen printing 2 day class like the one theat Ryonet offers? Or have I moved beyond that already?

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Screen Printing classes useful?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 11:00:11 AM »
keep printing watch youtube, read the boards ask questions, watch what others are doing ......work on every element bit by bit. Classes are great SOMETIMES but typically I think you get more philosophy than practice unless you go with the big time guys and drop some real $$$$.
 my suggestion is buried in the story here........A guy stops a cop in NY city and asks how do I get to Carnegie Hall ....the cop replies PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline kirkage

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 11:03:54 AM »
Your education is never ending in this business. The classes would not hurt. Your experience is going to be the best teacher.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 11:16:22 AM »
they couldn't hurt.  I would recommend taking classes at a show.  I think you will get a broader range of instructors, and ones that might not necessarily be pushing their own products.

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 11:21:22 AM »
they couldn't hurt.  I would recommend taking classes at a show.  I think you will get a broader range of instructors, and ones that might not necessarily be pushing their own products.

^^what mk said.  Also would not hurt to take some Business classes. 

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 11:25:01 AM »
Not all classes are aimed at absolute beginners.
Read what is offered, and what will be covered.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Appstro

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 11:35:02 AM »
I am not promoting the class, but here's a link:
http://www.screenprinting.com/screen-print-experience-class-sd-apr-25th-apr-26th-2014.html#.UzrcS6LwqPO

Its literally blocks from my house and $300.00 for 2 days....

Too good to be true?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 11:42:21 AM »
There was one in ATL called Screen Inkstitute or something like that by our friend JR but that apparently fizzled for some reason

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 01:42:57 PM »
I know a little bit about this :)  I did have a few things typed out here but I've decided that I should say a small piece and move on.  I think most have good intentions and the majority do a good job of educating, but there will always be a conflict of interest if suppliers are doing a workshop.  I won't go into all of that and I think the vast majority don't allow those conflicts to influence the wrong things being taught.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Action1

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 02:30:08 PM »
There was one in ATL called Screen Inkstitute or something like that by our friend JR but that apparently fizzled for some reason

Tony - Thanks for the huge smile! You're a riot sometimes amigo.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 02:41:44 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonet

https://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions

I kind off do not like the presentation, but there is a lot of good info

Offline starchild

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 02:47:11 PM »
Douglas Grigar teaches classes at Vastex.. He has a video training series that could be of benefit..

The Screen Printing Encyclopedia

http://www.thegrendel.com/Shop/osc/screen-printing-encyclopedia-p-303.htm

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 08:44:25 PM »
Even seasoned veterans could take a brush up course for beginners and learn something new.  I am 17 years in and still learn something new everyday, if you don't, you will be left in the dust.  Then again, if you are here, you are learning.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 09:45:12 PM »
The only problem I see is that getting to the point of learning something new, how many of the things being taught have you already figured out how to do or even do better leaving you questioning the whole presentation in the first place.

Just sayin......
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 06:08:23 AM »
That can be a pitfall to avoid. Another one is that one can walk away from training with the false tenet that "this is how I was taught therefore this is how it must be done". To be sure this is not always the case. In a production facility model based on mass customization with a practically infinite amount of interdependent variables one must learn to step back and use practical theory with a good dash of ingenuity and good old fashion logic and problem solving. That only gets better over time as one builds knowledge from experience. Classes are but a mere foundation for practical application of what will become ones own "Printers Perspective"