Author Topic: Need help with heat pressing Trucker Foam Hats with plastisol heat transfers.  (Read 8209 times)

Offline inkstain

Hello all.

Just got a Hotronix Cap press along with some plastisol transfer paper.

Did some testing and got good results after a bunch of test prints.
I'm printing only on the Trucker Foam Hats.  Figured out temp which is 300 degrees, preheat hat with paper on hat for 5 seconds, put transfer on and paper on top of it for 5 seconds.  Hot peel, comes off nice and good.  Opaque even with white ink on black hat.

My issue is this:
At the top of the hat on the front, where heat press ends, there is a heat mark indention going across.  This is the situation that I'm trying to get rid of and don't really know how to?  Should I shave the foam/rubber on the top down some and try to make it rounder?
Any tips to avoid this issue?  Also, my pressure is only at 1.

Thanks in advance.

Offline inkstain

Meant to say, Should I shave the rubber on top part of the platen? 
It has a sharp edge but it is soft.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Not sure what will eliminate the press edge footprint but I would not trim your platen foam. If you have extra hats try some of this to minimize (possibly) the footprint.

back off on the press pressure.

Go to a craft store get a piece of 1/8 in craft foam sheet or heavy felt cut it to larger than you print image but smaller than the platen.
http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogIdentifier=2&partNumber=13727&langid=-1&cid=PS:GooglePLAs:13727&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=13727&KPID=13727

Get a piece of heavy cardboard like poster board or a couple layers of folder board and cut it to size smaller than the inside of the hat but larger than the lower platen on your press. The cardboard will take a shape that may soften the edges changing the footprint on the cap.

We found at a fabric store a very thin nylon material that we wrapped the press platen with and tightly pulled and tied off below the platen. This tends to soften and round the edges of the platen as well as make loading the caps smooth and easy.

lastly if you have a steamer try steaming a sample hat to see if that will relieve the press footprint.  improvise.........adapt and work out of the box
best of luck
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
It's been years since I have done it, but I seem to remember Stahls offering pretty extensive tech help on the phone.

There are also smaller platens available that may help.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
http://www.dyetrans.com/item.php?item_no=HCR-1847

That should help. This foam is heat resistant, it transfers the heat to the substrate and it is pretty expensive

Offline inkstain

Thank you mooseman, frog, and dkgrafix for the insight and different options to try out. Aloha!

Offline inkstain

Hi guys!
Just wanted to let you know my progress.
We found an 1/8 of foam and put it on the platen a little lower then the top of the platen itself.
Did a test, still a little indention on top but less.
Add another 1/8 foam on top and that was the ticket!!!
Stoked!
Thanks guys for leading me to the way.
Aloha

Offline Jag1970

Inkstain,

I am thinking about buying the same cap press.  Can you send/post a picture of the foam you added?

Thanks!!!!!

Johnny

Offline inkstain

Inkstain,

I am thinking about buying the same cap press.  Can you send/post a picture of the foam you added?

Thanks!!!!!

Johnny

Just using the standard platen with the press.  working good.

Offline noplacelikemaui

hows it inkstain? u mind giving me a link of the foam u have or anywhere i can get em
email me @ noplacelikemaui@gmail.com

mahalo bradah.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
hows it inkstain? u mind giving me a link of the foam u have or anywhere i can get em
email me @ noplacelikemaui@gmail.com

mahalo bradah.

Old thread, keeps getting new life.

I can't tell you what foam that inkstain used, but I often cut 1/4" mousepads slightly bigger than the image area for this purpose.
I am also looking more into the use of conductive silicone rubber pads on top as a way to negate the effect of the hard edge of the heat platen itself.
Especially on rayon shirts, we seem to have a tough time avoiding the pattern of the heat platen. I have gotten recommendations to try the
Flexible Application Pads
and/or the Print Perfect Pads available from someone like Stahls .
The latter are sold to use mostly like my mousepads, but are also the same as what DKGrafix linked to which are generally used on top of the image for dye sublimation on irregularly or curved substrates. The silicone rubber conducts heat rather than insulates, though dwell time will need to be increased.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
we've also cut up old trucker caps that have been tested one to many times, and tape those together.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
If you still have any indent marks that you don't like or cant get rid of:

Use a steamer.  5 seconds and they are gone.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline noplacelikemaui

aloha and mahalo colin, frog and ericheartu .

thanks for the feedback . appreciate it.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
If you still have any indent marks that you don't like or cant get rid of:

Use a steamer.  5 seconds and they are gone.

Are talking about the typically $20-$25 hand held models? Recommendations?