Author Topic: My pre-registration system  (Read 2482 times)

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
My pre-registration system
« on: June 05, 2014, 11:35:29 AM »
the other thread of Alan's tri-loc system made me realize that I wanted to share what we use for registration of jobs...

the only thing we don't have yet is a way to quickly align the screens on the press... but for my 'ghetto' fix, I used a fine sharpie to put 2 lines on my first platen (one to indicate center that goes all the way down the center of the platen, one that lines up with the top 3 registration marks...  all my films are created with the top 3 registration marks in the same position, and the art is always in the same positions on the film as well.

Our 'preregistration' jig is just a piece of plexi with 2 pieces of wood screwed to it to align the corner of the screen... there's a piece of film with registration marks taped to the plexi. this puts the registration marks in their perfect position for our press... (roughly 6.5" from the top outside edge of the screen.)  Line up the registration marks on the art to the registration marks on the template, tape the film down, and go.

for non-tight registration jobs, I never have to micro at all... for tighter registration jobs, many times all I need is a quick move to get it in position.

I have built 2 of these.. one for the manual press 20x24 screens, one for the automatic press.

Offline T Shirt Farmer

Re: My pre-registration system
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 11:52:04 AM »
Outstanding... that's some great thinking right there!
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 11:54:17 AM »
damn, that's pretty clever! ...I posted mine up someplace here but I have no idea what thread it's in.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 09:51:09 PM »
I've posted mine before but some may not have seen it.

Mine is on press, probably would not work for you auto guys.

On the oversize platen is a blank film with just registrations that fits around the screen clamp. 

I lightly tape (2 edges) of the film to be exposed on the blank, then use two pieces of double sided tape on top.  Ease the screen into the blocks and press down, lift up.  Expose, washout, next screen, etc.  For print time, set each screen into the same blocks on the line-up platen turning the stations. 

Pretty much handles the registrations back on the press too.  That was the sweet bonus.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 04:16:49 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers