Author Topic: Another black Ink question  (Read 3416 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Another black Ink question
« on: June 11, 2014, 05:03:51 PM »
I've did designs where I needed to print the black early in the print order and for some reason it builds up on the other screens very fast and starts ghosting and making a mess if I don't clean the bottom of the screen every so many prints.  This only happens with black ink, I use WM plastics black cream, anyone had this this problem, could be my mesh ct? it's done it with 137 and 230's.

Darryl
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 10:08:29 PM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: Another black Ink question
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 05:08:34 PM »
I have tried a few black inks and they did that to me. I only use union ultrasoft black ink now. For your ink you can reduce but it will still build up. You can always flash after the black.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 05:18:42 PM »
Although I hate that its so thin the easiest wow black I have tried is the International Coatings IC716, printed black first in a 200 piece run and didn't have a problem plus its nice and soft and matte finish
http://estore.dencosales.com/Attachment/files/attfiles/pdf/IC%20700Series.pdf

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 05:29:47 PM »
Ultrasoft Black builds up for us on longer runs. We use the Union Unimach exclusively and can run thousands of prints without build up. Give it a try.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline KevWilso

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 05:40:35 PM »
Adding process clear as an additive helps, or just run a process black ink.  Good tension, wide open area mesh, silicone spray are some other tricks.  This build up is one characteristic that came with phthalate free/ complaint inks. 
Kevin Wilson
River City Graphic Supply 512-454-0505 www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 05:43:18 PM »
We print black first on a lot of jobs and need a wow black really bad and black is one of the worst at building up traditionally.  We've tried many things, many different brands and types of black ink and nothing really works.  I'm testing out a wow black right now and I'll post back with my results. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 06:24:10 PM »
phthalate free/ complaint inks.

Freudian slip?

We dope our Rutland black with a ton of Chino, yet I'd prefer buying a RFU black that
isn't stiff and sticky. What's everyone's fave? Alan I'm interested in your results.

It's a rare case that we need a heavy black, we frequently print it first as well. Two heads
before dedicated flash...

Offline KevWilso

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 06:27:01 PM »
LOL good eye.  I had to read that 3 times before I caught my typo.
Kevin Wilson
River City Graphic Supply 512-454-0505 www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 07:16:59 PM »
We've been battling the black build up for what seems like forever now....... I have yet to test a black that does not build up so if anyone knows of one please let me know, I'd pay $$ for that info. I've tested at least 15 blacks in the last 2 months and for us they have all built up. Some worse then others but they all do it. I've tried build up buster, halftone base, you name it and nothing seems to fix it. Some of the additives help but I have yet to find a "cure"

anyone?

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 07:36:05 PM »
As mentioned ready, Unimach is a simulated process ink that is designed for WOW.
No additives needed, print straight out of the bucket. It is much darker than process black and it is slightly translucent so it mixes well with other inks (it is part of a PMS matching system).

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 07:40:23 PM »
I'd forgotten about Union. I really liked their Autoline for certain colors as well. Not very well represented out
west though...

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 09:36:59 PM »
I use the QCM wow black.  No issues so far with wet on wet printing (1k+ prints), but I use it rarely use it straight out of the bucket.

We use it primarily for an in house mix.  I mix up primer clear with 10% black C3 pigment and mix that in 50/50 with the QCM for a very soft black ink.  Also has great matte properties.

Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 10:08:07 PM »
I suppose I should clarify that what we use for sim process we don't have the build up issues. It's when we are printing huge open areas of black but I'll give your guy's suggestions a shot for our large runs with big amounts of black that won't be printed last. Thanks guys
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 10:14:56 PM »
Ok I see I'm not the only one trying out black inks, I like the black cream and the union ink black, but that build up makes me design the print for black as the last print even though it looks and would print nicer earlier in the rotation.  I used the silicone sprays, but that's just a temp bandage and you still have to wipe the screens in time.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 10:38:14 PM »
I use the QCM wow black.  No issues so far with wet on wet printing (1k+ prints), but I use it rarely use it straight out of the bucket.

We use it primarily for an in house mix.  I mix up primer clear with 10% black C3 pigment and mix that in 50/50 with the QCM for a very soft black ink.  Also has great matte properties.

QCM WOW Black user here too. No complaints so far, but I'd have to go back a ways to see if we've done much with it early in the print order without a flash after.
Wishin' I was Fishin'