Author Topic: Workshop ventilation  (Read 954 times)

Offline Dochertyscott

Workshop ventilation
« on: June 21, 2014, 01:02:45 AM »
We are Currently working between 2 workshops. I Have just shifted the dryer into the new space.
The old place had good slow air flow with big doors either end and windows.
With one window at one end and the roller door open at the other it was ideal and didn't mess with the dryer temps and I didn't notice fumes too bad.
Now, in the new pad with one massive roller door facing a different angle I don't trust having it open as the wind blows in and fluctuates the dryer temps...
The smoke build up is pretty nasty. I did think of putting in a ventilation unit on the wall but will this be sufficient?
I've never had any sort of exhaust coming from dryer... It's a BBC big buddy.
Do you guys have these from your dryers and do they work well?
I'd like to upgrade dryer but won't be within the next year I'd say.
I Would also like to give discharge printing a whirl but unsure if my dryer be up to it and also concerned it going to be too nasty with the fumes.
What sort of ventilation do you guys have?
Do you find the fumes and smoke making your shop hazy and stinky?
Scott

PRINT TO LIVE, LIVE TO PRINT!

Offline abchung

• !!!
Re: Workshop ventilation
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 02:03:22 AM »
Some wind breaking mesh to cover the door might slow down the wind and still have some air circulation.

Offline Dochertyscott

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 02:13:24 AM »
That's a good idea. Thanks. it is a big roller door so could potentially fix mesh to ground and roller door and open up as per usual. Maybe some more open mesh at the top. As long as the air flow (wind) in is bit above the dryer chamber it shouldn't be as much of an issue... I think...
Scott

PRINT TO LIVE, LIVE TO PRINT!

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 12:06:40 PM »
I just looked it up and it looks like it has a ventilation attachment on top, why not run a pipe outside from that with an inline fan if there isn't one on the dryer.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 12:40:32 PM »
Use point source ventilation on the machinery causing the odor/smoke, not just ventilating the room. If you ventilate the room, you're still breathing in all that crap as you're between the oven and the fan. We use a variable speed fan on our oven ventilation so in the winter when we're running product that doesn't cause fumes we can turn it down/off and make use of the heat, and in the summer we can dial it up to get that heat/fumes out of the shop.
Wishin' I was Fishin'