Author Topic: dampers for your auto  (Read 2634 times)

Offline rmonks

• !!!
dampers for your auto
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:22:51 PM »
I think my auto makes a little too much vibration when running it is bolted to a concrete floor and I was thinking of buying some vibration dampening material to go under the steel leg plates , anyone ever done this and did it help.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: dampers for your auto
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 09:52:53 AM »
 For our air compressor, we bought a horse stall mat from tractor supply and only bolted 2 legs. it's really heavy duty rubber, make great standing mats too. 25.00 for a 4x6.  However - I think anything under the machine that is forgiving -like a rubber- would alter the vertical shaft enough to cause serious issues. . .I would unbolt it from the floor, something has to give, I would rather see the machine move than break a weld.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 10:45:32 AM »
and to touch on what Homer said if the press creeps across the floor during printing something might be wrong anyways....I have sqaure pcs of carpet under our press legs, we allso have a concrete floor.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 10:54:57 AM »
Do you have embroidery machines in the shop?
I know that my Tajima came with rubber blocks intende for help with vibrations.

You might want to check it out.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 11:31:59 AM »
Embroidery machines don't move as much as presses.  I would have the press tuned frankly...and bolted to the floor if possible.  Our Gauntlet came with plates that bolt to the floor where the legs of the press sit in.

It sounds like a band aid for a much bigger problem...with a poorly running press, you are going to wear major components out much faster.

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 02:09:03 PM »
The press sits on factory pads with holes in them I assume they are there to bolt the machine down if needed. The pads I am considering are for industrial machines they are not soft just dampen any noise.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 02:34:13 PM »
Then bolt the machine down.  Ours has always been bolted, our tech set it up that way and my guess is it was for a reason.

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 09:37:47 PM »
It is bolted down , I am considering placing an industrial damper pad under each plate. If it doesn't help I can take them out. I think it is that I am not use to this machine , overall it is heck of a lot quiter than my javelin.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 09:26:59 AM »
You are completely wrong. If this is the Gauntlet you purchased from you know who the press should run extremely smooth and putting any kind of dampers under the feet would be a big mistake. You should hire a M&R technician to install the press properly to see how it's really supposed to work or continue wasting time and money as well as possibly causing expensive damage to your press. If you want the best results contact our service department and get it done right!
Rich Hoffman

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 09:35:10 AM »
Is it possible that the machine is actually set up and running fine and rmonks has nothing to compare it to?
Can you visit another shop with a similar machine?

Is this something that can be demonstrated with video?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 01:28:20 PM »
It's a Gauntlet and it clatters when the carousel lifts or has bounce back from the index shock.

Very common and Very easy fix as the index and lift need to be fine tuned.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 04:15:17 PM »
You are completely wrong. If this is the Gauntlet you purchased from you know who the press should run extremely smooth and putting any kind of dampers under the feet would be a big mistake. You should hire a M&R technician to install the press properly to see how it's really supposed to work or continue wasting time and money as well as possibly causing expensive damage to your press. If you want the best results contact our service department and get it done right!

Yes it is that press, and I am not using it yet. I have a call into GSG out of tulsa, they have a tech ( I assume an M&R tech) out of Dallas I think, anyway he comes up 4 times a year and checks out problems people have. I believe he is due in september. So I will see how that goes. I don't think anything is damaged. Is there a tech in this area.

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 04:21:23 PM »
It's a Gauntlet and it clatters when the carousel lifts or has bounce back from the index shock.

Very common and Very easy fix as the index and lift need to be fine tuned.

That is exactly what I am experiencing , I have fine tuned alot of it out, but I am stopping until I get a new Wilkerson Regulator, mine was leaking air out the front, so when I get it replaced I will try again , I just want to make everything factory before i proceed. But I can't imagine there being zero movement with all the girations going on when indexing and printing, That is another thing the choppers have a heck of alot of down force when the machine is turned on , is that normal. 

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 04:34:28 PM »
The simplest fix you can do until the tech shows up is slow down the carousel index cylinder a tad.
You want the index to compress the index shock perfectly with zero bounce or excessive slowing.

Once you find your home setting, all you do it reduce the incoming air to the index to compensate for different pallet sizes.
Depending on what yr your machine is, M&R were adding direct regulators feeding off the main line for the index cylinder. If you have one of these, all you have to do is adjust that regulator pressure. If you don't have one of these, ask tech how you can get one installed, they make a huge difference in adjust-ability.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services