Author Topic: what tape should i use for waterbase ink  (Read 3311 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
what tape should i use for waterbase ink
« on: August 20, 2011, 01:39:48 AM »
What are all you waterbased guys using. And where do you get it cheap.

Offline inkbrigade

Re: what tape should i use for waterbase ink
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 03:41:36 AM »
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 02:59:40 AM »
What makes that tape good for waterbased ink? $5 a roll sound little high. I read you need to use rubber based tape or rubber based adhesive tape. does anyone else have a source?

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 05:02:01 AM »
5 bucks for THAT!  :o
I buy that same tape in a 3" 110yd  roll for $4.50  8)

Tape used to be a big issue because it all sucked and you used what you could deal with the easiest.
These days, this white tape seems to be everywhere I look and its doing just fine for plastisol and WB inks. I find it works best when you take it off when it's fresh. Let it sit on the screen for a few days, weeks and it's a bitch to get off.
Tape the screen, print with it, peel it out as soon as you're done, and it will never give you a problem.

It's when it sits that the adhesive is allowed to bond with the emulsion or it comes in contact with solvent (wash up and save for later kinda thing) that it turns your day to poops along with it's adhesive backing.

If you need a tape to hold up to washup or you catalog your screens, get the Natural Rubber Adhesive tape from ULINE]. Get the 3 mil, It's 5 bucks for 110 yds a roll for the 3" and the glue won't get all gooey from your normal range of press washes. Test to be sure. FYI this tape is a bear to get off sometimes and will pull emulsion and rip screens so soak in dip tank before reclaim and it will release easier.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 05:07:34 AM by jsheridan »
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 11:59:58 PM »
5 bucks for THAT!  :o
I buy that same tape in a 3" 110yd  roll for $4.50  8)

Tape used to be a big issue because it all sucked and you used what you could deal with the easiest.
These days, this white tape seems to be everywhere I look and its doing just fine for plastisol and WB inks. I find it works best when you take it off when it's fresh. Let it sit on the screen for a few days, weeks and it's a bitch to get off.
Tape the screen, print with it, peel it out as soon as you're done, and it will never give you a problem.

It's when it sits that the adhesive is allowed to bond with the emulsion or it comes in contact with solvent (wash up and save for later kinda thing) that it turns your day to poops along with it's adhesive backing.

If you need a tape to hold up to washup or you catalog your screens, get the Natural Rubber Adhesive tape from ULINE]. Get the 3 mil, It's 5 bucks for 110 yds a roll for the 3" and the glue won't get all gooey from your normal range of press washes. Test to be sure. FYI this tape is a bear to get off sometimes and will pull emulsion and rip screens so soak in dip tank before reclaim and it will release easier.

Where are you getting the white tape? I want to start doing some discharge test runs on company shirts in the next few weeks. I have done some waterbase stuff just the tape I used never lasted. (basic clear packing tape and masking tape).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:08:27 AM by Screened Gear »

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 01:18:05 AM »

Where are you getting the white tape? I want to start doing some discharge test runs on company shirts in the next few weeks. I have done some waterbase stuff just the tape I used never lasted. (basic clear packing tape and masking tape).

westix

http://www.westixonline.com/screen-tape-white.html

If the tape is loosing it's stick, and you're using a water resistant or diazo emulsion, it means you've under exposed.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 07:23:04 AM »
We use this for everything.
http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/product/ZP2SCREENTAPE

I use this stuff also. Works awesome. Left tape on a screen for months once and it still pulls off clean with no residue. I always buy at least 36 rolls at a time so it is only $3 per roll. If you're doing water based, maybe try blocking out the screen, then taping for extra protection. Just make sure you lay it down flat with no crevices for the ink to seep into.

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 04:14:45 AM »

westix

http://www.westixonline.com/screen-tape-white.html

If the tape is loosing it's stick, and you're using a water resistant or diazo emulsion, it means you've under exposed.

Do they charge for shipping?
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 02:41:38 PM »
Call em.. ask for Dennis.