Author Topic: Red glitter/Shimmer  (Read 2341 times)

Offline thinkdesign

• Verified/Junior
Red glitter/Shimmer
« on: August 25, 2011, 12:08:16 AM »
I have a request for a red glitter/shimmer on a black (100% cotton) shirt. I do have a one stoke silver glitter that is just flakes in a clear base, but I would have to print a white under base, red, then the glitter. Seem a bit much for a low run. Has anyone created a red shimmer from silver by mixing?

Any thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Joel

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Red glitter/Shimmer
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 12:28:05 AM »
Just recently, I played around with just this. Silver shimmer with a little red thrown in. Result? Interesting, but would never be confused with Red Shimmer like International Coatings and Union both have. Came out more of a muddy copper.

Putting silver glitter or shimmer over red will block the red because the flakes are opaque.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 02:45:02 AM »
I have a request for a red glitter/shimmer on a black (100% cotton) shirt. I do have a one stoke silver glitter that is just flakes in a clear base, but I would have to print a white under base, red, then the glitter. Seem a bit much for a low run. Has anyone created a red shimmer from silver by mixing?

Any thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Joel

Hey Joel,
Absolutely. Water base ink all the way. We are about half plastisol half water base shop now and I can say for metallics we will most never use plastisol again. With the Matsui shimmer we can pretty much mix any color shimmer we want so far and using any mesh from 83 to 156 with no underbase we are good to go. However, gas dryer is a must.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 06:25:17 AM »
To tint shimmers use process inks as they are clear......but again not the same as red flake. QCM has a nice valentine red GL-403

Offline ErinAllenLamb

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 08:26:15 AM »
Hello!!

If you have gold or silver shimmers you will never get a bright red from tinting, especially when tinting with a finished ink.   The flakes are silver and will not turn red.  You can tint Gold Shimmer and Silver Shimmer with a red pigment concentrate to obtain a brighter red, but again,  it will not be a bright red.

You want to choose a red glitter flake or a red shimmer.

Erin