Author Topic: Calling Andy  (Read 1846 times)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Calling Andy
« on: September 09, 2014, 07:11:42 PM »
Hey bud, could you reply to my last IM sent twice please?

I'm dying (or is it dieing) to know the answer.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Calling Andy
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 08:05:51 PM »
Okay, something is wrong with the PM because I responded twice. I will now post it here, and so that everyone else understands what's going on, we'll tell them that we are trying to sort out your application of Neenah Jet Pro Soft Stretch.
The message I got, you said that you pre heated the shirt, and asked if I did that as well, and I responded:

I responded to that this morning. (heard the Tapa Talk beep last night, but was preoccpied)

Here it is again, copied from my sent box:

No. Not usually. In my shop, I tape the transfer on the shirt, and then place the shirt on the press. The times I do "pre press" to remove a big wrinkle or something, would only be a few seconds, and doesn't seem to retain a lot of heat or affect the transfer.
I think that with most vinyls, the application time is 12 seconds or less, and they feel to be safe, a pre-press of 2-3 seconds may remove possible moisture. (to be truthful, I skip this step a lot)
With the photo transfer apparently, it's not considered an issue. Perhaps the much longer press time would take care of any moisture on its own.

from the Neeneah instructions:
TRANSFERRING
Using a Commercial Heat Press
1. Place the transfer on top of the garment with the image side down. Press:
30 seconds at 375F using heavy pressure
2. Remove paper while still hot.

http://www.neenah.com/technical/pdf/Printing_Instructions/JetProSofStretch9811P0807.pdf
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 09:40:45 PM »
I've been getting other emails including one I just sent from another email id and service, but the last PM was dated 09/07.

Thanks for the update.  I'll be making a new transfer (in a day or so) and will not pre-heat.   

I'm sure hoping that led to the difficulty pulling the inkjet transfer backing paper off.

Still waffling on ordering the pigment ink for the 1400.

Have to ask tho, why tape the transfer to the shirt?  Doesn't that leave some glue residue from the tape?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 09:51:45 PM »
Blue heat tape, same as I use for die cut letters on names. Allows me to move the shirt around (foam pillow inside) with no fear of the transfer shifting. And no, no residue, peels cleanly.

When I use opaque transfers, I use glue stick on the transfer back itself. Disappears with the heat.

Gonna move this thread to the Heat Seal section.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 10:02:08 PM »
Sorry to jump in there... Wayne, what kind of problems are you seeing?

We had some Soft Stretch that sat in a box for a while... it's sketchy so we don't use it any more.  Shame, we shouldn't have bought so much at once.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 10:05:15 PM »

We had some Soft Stretch that sat in a box for a while... it's sketchy so we don't use it any more.  Shame, we shouldn't have bought so much at once.

Last time I bought it, I got 1000 11x17's. I loves my Soft Stretch! So do my clients!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 10:21:15 PM »
Clearly you go through a LOT of it.  Or do you have a secret to storing it?

We don't go through that much. 

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 10:26:58 PM »
I should've bought a bunch when art brands was getting out of the paper business, they were selling the paper for more than half off, only bought about 400 sheets, that was over a year ago though and now we just ran out.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 10:33:11 PM »

I have only done a couple SofStretch and the one I did last week, after I pre-heated the shirt, was like pulling wallpaper off a wall.

I finally got the backing off, but the shirt was stretched a bit from pulling and some of the ink lifted up leaving a slightly distressed print, which ironically, the client liked.

I've also been concerned that the HP9800 ink might not be as good as a true pigment in a 1400 I have (still boxed). 

So I just been playing around for now trying to get into a groove. 

The print I was doing is too many colors and not a big enough order to print with plastisol.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 10:36:44 PM »
We use pigment inks in our WF1100... We preheat (to get rid of moisture, can't help it in South Louisiana!), peals easy.

Only problems we had was when doing solid colors it sometimes doesn't peal clean and can take some of the ink with the paper in spots (not distressed like, but more here and there)... so on solid stuff it doesn't fly, on a photo or something then it isn't as noticeable.

We're pretty sure our problem is age.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 10:40:31 PM »
Clearly you go through a LOT of it.  Or do you have a secret to storing it?

Both, except that I don't do anything other than store it in its shrink wrap package  in the house which is relatively even temperatured and not especially humid.

A couple of years ago,to my surprise, along with the typical one, two, or three or so, I started seeing a trend to 25-50! The same type of jobs I'd use a DTG for if I had one.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 10:50:11 PM »
Yeah, I called on DTG to handle a job for me that just wasn't happening with Soft Stretch (solid colors).

We could really use a DTG for what we do... but in reality it's less than what you do and I'm sure you are having a hard time putting pen to paper and having it make sense.  For us, it just doesn't add up.  I know Brad kills it, but I can't seem to make it make sense on my end.