Author Topic: Union Ink  (Read 5677 times)

Online whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Union Ink
« on: August 26, 2011, 01:57:52 PM »
When I am printing I go through a lot of thought...HAHa!...I do have a question though..

I was printing with Union Deep Marine (plus-5030) and the consistency (viscosity??)  is like water...reminds me of the Aurora Plus....

Why is this? The black isn't like this or other colors...

What is the correlating factor for yore viscosity?

I pretty much know nothing of ink makeup, but was curious...

Thanks ink guys!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Union Ink
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 02:21:11 PM »
Erin can weigh in here of course but you'll find that in most ink systems Marine is the weakest and lightest pigment with a short body. It's opposite with regards to these characteristics is yellow. This why yellows tend to be stringy and marine thin and runny.

Offline DanK

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 02:28:56 PM »
I have no helpful info, but a question myself...  Has anyone noticed that magenta colored inks have a super strange smell that other colors of inks don't have?  When I noticed this more we were using Union plastisols...
Dan Holzer

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 02:53:23 PM »
Magenta PC in particular has a very strange smell.

I love how yellow inks tend to smell citrusy, and whites like doughnuts. (titanium dioxide?)

My girlfriend always wants to eat certain color inks. The pastels that look like cake frosting.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 04:14:04 PM »
Pigments that make up Deep blues and magentas are very thin because of the lack of titanium dioxide, I think if the manu does not add thickeners it will be very runny.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 04:41:42 PM »

I was printing with Union Deep Marine (plus-5030) and the consistency (viscosity??)  is like water...reminds me of the Aurora Plus....

Why is this? The black isn't like this or other colors...

What is the correlating factor for yore viscosity?

A lot of the rheological properties that you see in inks are a direct result of the pigments properties. 

The ultramarine pigment when processed is very runny.  The blue pigments that are on the green and blue side (used in standard blue inks like royal and light blues) are a bit more viscus so those inks have more body.  Yellows and oranges are very stringy and thicker.  Reds are like the blue green and red shades.  Green is a middle ground for rheology and extremely dark and dense when in pigment form.  Black pigment is a pure carbon black and is very thick and clumpy when processed.  White pigment is of course Titanium Dioxide and is fairly runny when processed.  However it also has high oil absorbtion values, so when added unprocessed during manufacturing it can cause the ink to "body up" considerably.  It's a nice side effect so you don't have to use many thickeners.

Magenta pigment has a very distinctive odor.  And you typically need to add a lot of pigment as it's strength is very low.  Just like the Ultramarine pigments.  But the Magenta pigments, unlike the ultramarine, are thicker and a bit stringy.

That's the short answer :)
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Online whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 09:35:56 AM »
Thanks guys!

Its just something I was wondering about..

Offline terryei

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 09:42:12 AM »

I love how yellow inks tend to smell citrusy, and whites like doughnuts. (titanium dioxide?)

My girlfriend always wants to eat certain color inks. The pastels that look like cake frosting.
Are you serious?  Does red ink taste like cherry or strawberry?
Terry

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 02:36:05 PM »

Are you serious?  Does red ink taste like cherry or strawberry?
Terry

Depending on the ink, there will be some scents added to mask it's odor.  Doughnuts are a new one for me though....
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 03:23:04 PM »
I always thought Magenta smelled vaguely "fishy".  Anyone know where the pigments are derived from by color?  Like, what's ground up to make 'em?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 03:27:03 PM »
I always thought Magenta smelled vaguely "fishy".  Anyone know where the pigments are derived from by color?  Like, what's ground up to make 'em?

I think it's the same pigment/pigment family they use in Salmon Eggs.  That's what I have always associated it with. 

I don't remember what the base organic/inorganic compounds are to make the pigments from.  But it's an easy google search away.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 11:48:01 PM »
Black pigment is a pure carbon black and is very thick and clumpy when processed. 

Colin, I use mostly Union products, but have switched off trying other inks.

I've always found Union Ultrasoft black to be extremely runny once you start printing.  To help with that, I've mixed 50/50 Union Ultrasoft Black with QCM black to get a medium body.  I find QCM black to be quite stiff.

Thoughts?

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 02:21:52 AM »
Easy fix for those pesky runny inks..

Add some thickening paste @ 3-5% weight.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 12:23:32 PM »
Black pigment is a pure carbon black and is very thick and clumpy when processed. 

Colin, I use mostly Union products, but have switched off trying other inks.

I've always found Union Ultrasoft black to be extremely runny once you start printing.  To help with that, I've mixed 50/50 Union Ultrasoft Black with QCM black to get a medium body.  I find QCM black to be quite stiff.

Thoughts?

Yea, all the Ultra Soft inks are very runny.  They actually need to be low viscocity in order to do it's designed job properly.  All ultra soft inks are designed to be driven into the garment, like chino/fashion soft/softee base, to simulate the waterbase ink feel.

My favorite printing black was the LFP-901.  Is was creamy, held an amazing edge and dot definition when printed, and was very opaque.  It just didn't want to print wet/on/wet.

The other QCm blacks are definitely a bit on the thicker side.  However, there are a LOT of people who want a thicker bodied black (for a myriad of reasons).  Which is why we never changed anything in those inks.

The benefits to having an ink that is thicker/shorter bodied are many (halftones/detail/image resolution reasons).  But the ink also needs to have low drag and still "slump" in front of the squeegee blade when at rest.

You probably have purchased the XOLB-901 black?  You have done exactly what I would have, if I had my own shop.  Except I would cut it with the Softee Black from QCM. 

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 02:57:51 PM »
Yep, XOLB Black.

Thanks for the info.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers